Questions about Klipsch and movie theaters and THX

m00n

Ok, so everyone here seems to agree that Klipsch either are the best speakers, or some of the best. So, with that, why is it that Klipsh is either non existant or has very little exposure in movie theaters? Well, non of the theaters that I have been in.

Also, is Klipsch working towards getting a THX certification on speakers other than the ProMedia?

If they can make some PC speakers that are THX certified, seems to me they could do the same with their home theater and professional speakers.

Or am I missing something here and they ARE certified? If not, is it by klipsch's own choice?

------------------

the m00n system

Should have my R3 system replaced with R7 this weekends>

FRONTS: RF-3II

CENTER: RC-3II

SURROUND: RS-3II

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

You need to get out more. Klipsch speakers are in a lot of theaters and have been for years and years.

If I recall correctly, Klipsch did have some THX certified home theater speakers at one time and dropped them. All THX certification of home theater speakers does is generate money for Lucas. Lack of THX certification does not mean that a product does not meet or exceed THX specifications, or sounds less good, just that the manufacturer does not see the benefit in paying the licensing fees.

The THX certification on the ProMedia is only there as a marketing ploy. This appears to be the one product where Klipsch feels that it is worth the cost.

Malcom,

hey thanks dude for the explanation. That then generates yet another question. If a theater is using klipsch speakers, and the speakers are not THX certified, does that mean a theater is not alowd to show the THX opening clip?

Oh and I can tell you, it's that little THX logo that I found out about Klipsch, I had never heard of them before. I was looking through a computer gaming mag once, seen an advertisement for the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 and that it was THX certified.

If not for the THX certification and logo, I would not have givin them the time of day. I liked my Altec Lancings just fine.

So, because of the THX logo, I became aware of Klipsch and am VERY happy that I have. Paying that extra fee can be very binificial. It was for Klipsch in my case. All my H/T speakers are Klipsch. Hmmm, I most likely would have ended up with Bose. Why? Because I knew the name and had heard of them.

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-03-2002 at 01:28 PM

Most Klipsch speakers, old or new, properly set up will outperform the old Klipsch "THX" Certified speakers... even on THX source material.

THX Certification is a George Lucas enterprise... and it is not lining his pockets as much as it used to. His process uses bipole speakers to spray sound directly to the front and directly to the back... but no sound toward the sweet spot. Essentially, THX tried to become an industry standard... and failed.

Now, the vast majority of post production facilities use a 5.1 approach that anticipates five identical speakers... just like SACD. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

& the receiver makers like denon are just starting to get away from that thx fixed 80hz crossover standard & starting to put in some adjustability to tweak the sys better toward perfection. Smile.gif actually sony & b&k have been putting that capability in their receivers for a while now. just a nice feature to have.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

THX Certification is a George Lucas enterprise... and it is not lining his pockets as much as it used to. His process uses bipole speakers to spray sound directly to the front and directly to the back... but no sound toward the sweet spot. Essentially, THX tried to become an industry standard... and failed.

Hmmm very interesting. I didn't realize it had failed. I still see the promo all the time. But then I really never followed it either. I just knew that 1/2 the reason I went to the theater was to check out that brief 30 seconds of THX bliss. cwm12.gif

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

m00n... I too get a thrill from a LucasFilms , Inc. THX promo... but it doesn't take THX Certification to surpass that tricked-up bass with more natural sound.

The reason that I called it a "failure" was that far more equipment manufacturers were committed to having THX Certified lines a few years ago than there are today. The THX "standard" IMHO is certainly "sub-standard" by most Klipsch configurations old and new. The system you are putting together will outperform a "THX" configuration of a comparable price range.

Apparently, THX has more life in the computer end where bass tends to be somewhat anemic and needs help. -HornED

PS: If you have a question about one of my posts... just ask and it shall be amplified. And if I am wrong, you'll know that too!

I always thought that THX certification meant that an item simply met THX specs. It doesn't mean that the item will outperform a non-THX certified item. It means that the item simlpy meets certain criteria.

I wouldn't waste my time comparing speakers that Klipsch sold years ago to modern speakers. How would your present computer compare to one seven or eight years old?

The THX speaker system Klipsch built years ago was sorta like the Volkswagen: ahead of its time.There is still today simply no reason for buying large speakers that will play in the first couple octaves if you are going to cut them via an 80hz filter.

THX was a movie standard. Ever seem a THX CD?

If THX failed, it was because THX standardized the industry.

Keith

Theater THX certification is very different than consumer THX certification. Essentially, the theater is certified as a whole. There is much more to it than just the speakers used.

Don't know whether a THX version of a film can legally be show in an non-THX theater.

mOOn---There are motion picture theaters that use Klipsch speakers. The HPS 4000 theater system used Klipsch Pro speakers and is a very good sounding system. Several theaters around Chicago use HPS rigs and the best of them surpass any THX theater rig I've heard. THX theater sound IME is universally excellent but the basshorns of the HPS system stay composed at levels at which I've heard the direct-radiating woofers of THX systems lose their composure. I think the old magnetic multi-track sound of the 70mm roadshow movies of the 50s and 60s, using huge arrays of large-format Altec VOTs behind the screen, was even better than either THX or HPS. But memory can fool....

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 05-04-2002 at 10:14 PM

Moon, Reagle Cinema has 2200 screens around the country and everyone of them is Klipsch drivin. Look for one of their theaters in your area. I have one locally and the sound system is great!

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Really? I didn't realize it. I better take a closer look next time I go. I have a Regal right here in the town I live in. Hmm, guess I better do better researc before I put my foot in my mouth.cwm6.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

I wouldn't waste my time comparing speakers that Klipsch sold years ago to modern speakers. How would your present computer compare to one seven or eight years old?

Fortunately for us, the analogy between computers and speakers doesn't work. While my five-year-old computer was obsolete four years ago, my 1978 Klipschorns will outperform just about every speaker made today. The speakers are twenty-four years old, but the design is almost 60 years old.

THX certification means that a system meets or exceeds certain requirements. In order for a product to be "THX Certified", it must meet or exceed THX specifications AND, a royalty fee must be paid for every THX Certified item sold. When it was said that THX is failing, it means that fewer and fewer companies are paying the royalty fees to THX, even though their products may meet or exceed THX Certification requirements. They have decided that that little THX sticker on their product is not worth the royalty fee they have to pay to get it, and they feel most of their consumers are savy enough to know that that little sticker only adds to the price they have to pay.

http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/home_controller.html

this is my beef w/ thx - the emphasis on "smaller main speakers". cwm23.gif

"The first Home THX circuit is the

Electronic Crossover. Electronic Crossovers allow us to use smaller

main speakers by sending the deepest, loudest bass signals to a

subwoofer."

imo the fixed 80hz or higher most use because of thx is too high. screws up the 2-channel listenin. but all is fine now w/ the adjustable high & low pass in the pre/pro now. cwm4.gif

however my b&k ref 30 is thx ultra cert., so the real blame is still on some of the equip makers. apparently they went w/ the thx standard and decided to not provide flexability on the processor crossover. hopefully more & more will get on the ball. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-06-2002 at 02:02 PM

Moon, If you check out Klipsch Pro products you will see many of the theater systems are THX certified.

Scooterdog, I have a brand new Regal cinema in my town and they have JBL systems. JBL has the market share in theater systems.

quote:

Originally posted by Chipp4:

Scooterdog, I have a brand new Regal cinema in my town and they have JBL systems. JBL has the market share in theater systems.

Ya, thats what I thought I had seen in my local Regal also. Sad because I would like to see Klipsch.

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I just went to a United Artist's theater last night that had Kilpsch speakers.

UA is huge on the east coast.

THX speaker certification also sets parameters for vertical and horizintal dispersion angles and projection. THX has different parameters for different applications.

just my 2 cents.