Help on getting started

Tbryson880

Ok this is what I'm planning on getting within the next few months. Tell me what you think and what I need to make the most out of them.

RF-7II L/R,

RC-64 II Center,

KW-120 Subwoofer with the KA-1000 amp or RSW-12 subwoofer,

Pioneer SC-57 receiver,

Haven't decided on side speakers but it's a working progress.

Let me know what more componts I need to make it run smoothly and how to basically hook it all up.

I have a little more than basic knowledge on this.

Thankssss

I am also just getting started into the realm of home audio enjoyment. I am a college student on a college budget, but picked up a Technics SU-V98 Integrated Amplifier, a Technics SH-8017 Equalizer, a Technics SL-B200 turntable, two Klipsch SB-3 bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch SC-1 center speaker all for $140.

My question is concerning hooking the speakers up to the amplifier. Specs I found online for the amplifier claim 115 wpc into 8 ohms. The speakers each say impedance 8 ohms and max input power 100 watts.

Is it safe for my speakers and amplifier if I hook these three speakers to the amplifier? I am worried about ruining either the speakers or the amplifier due to misunderstanding of how ohm and watt values work.

Is there a special way that these need to be wired? (series? parallel? I am not sure what these mean).

Help and suggestions much appreciated

I am also just getting started into the realm of home audio enjoyment. I am a college student on a college budget, but picked up a Technics SU-V98 Integrated Amplifier, a Technics SH-8017 Equalizer, a Technics SL-B200 turntable, two Klipsch SB-3 bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch SC-1 center speaker all for $140.

My question is concerning hooking the speakers up to the amplifier. Specs I found online for the amplifier claim 115 wpc into 8 ohms. The speakers each say impedance 8 ohms and max input power 100 watts.

Is it safe for my speakers and amplifier if I hook these three speakers to the amplifier? I am worried about ruining either the speakers or the amplifier due to misunderstanding of how ohm and watt values work.

Is there a special way that these need to be wired? (series? parallel? I am not sure what these mean).

Help and suggestions much appreciated

Don't hook it up until you hear from someone with more knowledge than I have. It looks like you have a two channel (i.e., stereo) amplifier. Is this correct? When using a center speaker, one usually has a three or more channel amp. Is there any kind of center channel output? Wiring two or more speakers in parallel can cause a dangerous drop in impedance that your amp might not be able to handle. Wiring two of the speakers in series would give the same signal to two of the speakers, which wouldn't give you a true center channel. There used to be some safe mixing boxes with the protection of resistors, etc., in them that would give you a derived third channel. Klipsch published a diagram for wiring one on your own, but I believe they withdrew the one that gave you a third channel using just a two channel amp and three speakers, in favor of one that required a third channel of amplification provided by your choice of either mono (one channel) power amp, or the use of one channel only (for the center speaker) of a two channel amp or one of the two channels of another integrated amp, or of a receiver. I believe they stopped recommending the box that simply used a two channel amp without an extra channel of amplification because some amps reacted badly to mix, even though the impedance drop problem was solved by the resistors in the box. As I remember, some amps were O.K. with it, and some were not. The diagram for the box that needed a third channel of amplification should still be available. Search this forum for the series called The Dope from Hope (Hope Arkansas used to be Klipsch headquarters), and check the Table of Contents for an article that contains key words like "Derived Third Channel" or, perhaps, "Wide Stage Stereo."

This still won't give you a third channel of the kind home theater does, i.e., one that handles the dialog when running movies, etc. If you are just playing music, you can always just stick with 2 channels and two speakers. If you are running movies, you can choose something like "Two Channel Dolby" in the menu of the DVD, and just use two speakers with your two channel amp. Newer DVDs may not offer you the "Two channel Dolby," but most DVD players will automatically fold the 5.1 or more channels into two for you.

I am also just getting started into the realm of home audio enjoyment. I am a college student on a college budget, but picked up a Technics SU-V98 Integrated Amplifier, a Technics SH-8017 Equalizer, a Technics SL-B200 turntable, two Klipsch SB-3 bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch SC-1 center speaker all for $140. My question is concerning hooking the speakers up to the amplifier. Specs I found online for the amplifier claim 115 wpc into 8 ohms. The speakers each say impedance 8 ohms and max input power 100 watts. Is it safe for my speakers and amplifier if I hook these three speakers to the amplifier? I am worried about ruining either the speakers or the amplifier due to misunderstanding of how ohm and watt values work. Is there a special way that these need to be wired? (series? parallel? I am not sure what these mean). Help and suggestions much appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, surf over to parts-express, and buy this Dayton SUB-120, and forget about using 3 bookshelves. Stereo sound is two channels, so stick with two speakers. I have my son set up with a vintage receiver, two KG 2.5's, and the Dayton SUB-120 for his dorm room, and trust me, it is more than enough. You won't find more sub for less at $150.

As for movies, just use the 2.1 arrangement.

As I said, this is my opinion. Others may vary.

So is it safe for my speakers and amp if I just use the two SB-3's for now? Plug one of them positive and negative into left channel and the other positive and negative into right channel? I just don't want to short something or blow something up due to incorrect ohm and watt level pairings. Then as I learn more I can tinker into new setups.

Like what's the best cables I can get for the best quality possible. I know 16 gadge is what Is mostly used. What kind of subwoofer cable I need and how to hook it up from the receiver to the amp to the sub how is that done if I go with the SW-120 and if I go with the other or both how do I hook it up. Thanks

Like what's the best cables I can get for the best quality possible. I know 16 gadge is what Is mostly used. What kind of subwoofer cable I need and how to hook it up from the receiver to the amp to the sub how is that done if I go with the SW-120 and if I go with the other or both how do I hook it up. Thanks

the best cables I can get for the best quality possible. There is much disagreement on this! I like Liberty Ultra Cap 12 gauge for the main speakers. The wire should be low resistance and low capacitance. I think the hype about elite wire is mostly B.S., but you do want something that won't corrode (as some zip cord does in some humid areas). The price of "golden ears" recommended elite wire ranges up to more than you paid for all of your equipment, and beyond!

So is it safe for my speakers and amp if I just use the two SB-3's for now? Plug one of them positive and negative into left channel and the other positive and negative into right channel? I just don't want to short something or blow something up due to incorrect ohm and watt level pairings. Then as I learn more I can tinker into new setups.

The wattage of the receiver starts at zero, and gets higher as you turn up the volume. The amp you have is rated at up to 115 watts per channel. You speakers can handle 100 watts per channel continually, and up to 400 watts per channel in short burst. IMO, that amp is not too powerful for those speakers. I have run 75 watt speakers on 100 watt amps with no harmful effects.

I know pretty much copper is copper but like a good brand. And what do you use for the surrounds what brand. What brand sub cable. An the receiver I know it's a 9 channel at 140 watts per channel is that really enough to power the speakers at full power or is that continuous power but has a max much higher. If I get 2 subs can I put one behind me and one in front both in corners.

What brand?......

Nip this bad habit in the butt. All brand loyalty will do is cost you $$$ in the long run. Audio isn't about brand, its about physics and electrical engineering. Getting smart now about the application of these two disciplines will save you way more money than buying into a "good brand".

14 gauge wire is fine, and 12 gauge costs just a little more, and may sound a bit better. Quite a few people recommend monoprice, and I've had good results with Knukonceptz Karma Kable, which is good quality wire at a good price.

More info (the SS refers to the colour, Smoke and Silver):
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Speaker%20Wire