dbx Model 110 help?

SonicSeeker

In the era when the 110 was made, not every receiver had a preamp out/amp in but most had tape loops. You might want to try both and see how your tone controls work. In the tape loop, the tone controls should not affect the DBX, but the preamp/amp connect should be after the tone controls. You might prefer to have your tone controls affect the DBX to give you a bit more control.

Thank you I was not sure if there was a reason I should not hook it up between my c-33 and my mc-2255 but it seems to work well this way. I can't believe it but it actually does sound better was a little concerned about adding anything to this system (was included as a bonus to my k-horns and McIntosh purchase) but it really does a good job and sounds fantastic. Just keeps getting better. I know there are better systems out there but I can at least rest in the fact that I have never heard anything this good before.so clear and real, I love it. (second week with the new to me gear).

Hmm...I've a 117 I've had since 1976 and it makes no noise coming or going. I really don't understand unless you have a pop already that it is amplifying. Bear in mind that when you turn that dial to the right you are increasing the amplitude of anything...including impulse noises from your other components...proportionately.

While I like that later units a lot and the multibanding (I have a 3BX and a 4BX) is even better, the original, simple 117 is 90% as good as any of them. I still wince at LPs played without dynamic restoration. I am used to black silence from LPs and a much more natural and powerful dynamic range than the basic disc is capable of and no matter how impressive the system or TT they just don't sound right without DBX. It's almost as hard for me as listening without RIAA and it fulfills a similar purpose.

This is the first I've heard of a 110. Frznvrmnt is our resident DBX guru.

Dave

This is the first I've heard of a 110

Dave, the 110 was originally called the "Boom Box".

You can see it on this 1980 (or so) picture of my dorm room setup.

On the right side of the cassette deck, is the odd shaped box with the button and two dials. That's the boom box and what later became the 110.

I've had some pops when I turn it on/off as well however, it's got something buggered up inside it. Instead of adding some bass like it used to do, it's like someone turned it on full max times 2.

Took it to Terry DeWick and he replaced a diode or capaciter or something in it....but I've never used it since. I've got a 120 DS that I also don't use.

post-15072-1381966305993_thumb.jpg

Hmm...I've a 117 I've had since 1976 and it makes no noise coming or going. I really don't understand unless you have a pop already that it is amplifying. Bear in mind that when you turn that dial to the right you are increasing the amplitude of anything...including impulse noises from your other components...proportionately.

While I like that later units a lot and the multibanding (I have a 3BX and a 4BX) is even better, the original, simple 117 is 90% as good as any of them. I still wince at LPs played without dynamic restoration. I am used to black silence from LPs and a much more natural and powerful dynamic range than the basic disc is capable of and no matter how impressive the system or TT they just don't sound right without DBX. It's almost as hard for me as listening without RIAA and it fulfills a similar purpose.

This is the first I've heard of a 110. Frznvrmnt is our resident DBX guru.

Dave

I had this hooked between my c-33 (out) to my mc2255 input but the book sugested hooking it between my tape out and in on my pre-amp. would this make a difference?

The C-33 surely must have a tape monitor loop that is where you should place it. It will work the way you had it obviously. That is a very old unit and may have leaky caps and cause anomolies that would be more evident when used in between the preamp & amp.

The 120X-DS that Coytee has is a far superior unit that can you can fine tune the frequency enhancement precisely where you need it. There are four trim knobs on the face of the unit in addition to the transition levels. It also has a continuously variable subwoofer output from 50-210Hz @ 12db.

Stopped using the dbx gear since DirecTV has an all digital signal and the processors need a line level signal to work properly so I could not run them between the pre & amp. Otherwise I would have four of them to cover the 7 channels.

Did an install for a friend in TX that uses dual 5BX-DS's and 14/10's with Krell, Carver, McIntosh, Wadia, Lightstar, and Threshold amps running a quartet of B&W 801's! Each set is dedicated to each pair of 801's. He also has the SNR-1, 120X-DS, and two 400XG's to run everything. What a wiring job that was.