QSC PLX 2502

Rivernuggets

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have clipped a QSC PLXII 3102 @ 550 wpc into RF-3IIs and I would say that would be about the limit for them after breaking a few woofers and tweeters. ( ** long term flexing caused the cone breakage, and too much average power cooked the tweeters ) This was with a highpass on the woofers to limit excursion, so it wasn't from the surround stretching tight

The average power going to the speaker was 5w or so, with the peaks just lighting up the clip lights. ( 20 db + transients ) Some of the music I have has 30 db transients, with a 425 watt amp, the highest average level you could listen to without clipping the output of the amp ( assuming proper gain structure ) is ( 425 ) - 30db = 0.425 watts.

It's like having a powerful vehicle, when you want to pass, it's no trouble at all, just breathe on the pedal. Keep in mind that you have larger drivers in the RF7's, but I would be wary of cranking it up, until you have verified that your gain structure is right, and you feel comfortable running it at a high level.

FWIW, I would recommend the 2502 for most people with RF3 / RF5 / RF82's, and the 3102 for RF7 / RF83 etc.

Yes and no, a switch mode power supply amplifer draws power from the wall socket in a much different way than a conventional amplifier. The PSU in the PLX/PLXII switches at a reported 230khz, in a conventional amplifier, it's 60 hz. Also, the PLXII 2502 and up amps are class H ( two sets of power rails, a low power rail set and a high power rail set )

In other words, for short duration bursts, the PLX can put out a heck of a lot more than it's rated to do.

Burst test here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/115300-qsc-pl380-amp-9.html Post # 89 has a breakdown. The testing was 50 msec on, 50 msec off, and the voltages were calculated into wattage into the resistive load.

The PLX series was discontinued, the amp was given a facelift, and a generic crossover added to it, and called the PLXII. The 3402 is now the 3602, same as the 3002 is now the 3102.

There were a bunch of amplifiers tested with the same methodology, with the results posted on the AVS forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865

They do seem very sweet. I've read about these amps here often and am ready to experience.

Michael, I'm straying from your ideal matching of amps to speakers. But I think this will have plenty of juice and headroom for the levels I listen at, around 85 db (when I'm alone in the house!). Thanks for your advice about matching the gain before enjoying.

We're going to meet this Saturday morning for the transaction. Gotta find some RCA to XLR cables at Monoprice.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the new fan last week - MUCH quieter. Got RCA to XLR cables from Monoprice yesterday. Hooked the QSC to an HK 3390 and I can only get faint music with the QSC gain maxed and the receiver volume very high. I have seperates for HT....this isn't complicated but maybe I'm missing something. The QSC is used but in wonderful condition. Seller even had the original box.

I'm hunting around online seeing if I need more gain from the preamp section or not. I see there are 'line drivers' you can get to boost the signal but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Here are the cables from Monoprice. Are those the problem?

The cables shouldn't be a problem. You may have a slight mis-match in the voltage the amp wants to see (input level) vs the voltage the receiver puts out. I've never had an issue, but occasionally it pops up. I've used Behringer, QSC and Crown with no problems hooking to consumer level products. Let me do some digging.