QSC PLX 2502

Rivernuggets

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the switches on the rear of the amplifier, and verify that they are correct, ( Stereo / Bridge is set to stereo ) and that the Clip Limiter is off.

I Googled your HK, and looked at the manual, page 25 has the specifications, but no preamp voltage specifications. Silly question, did you take the binding post straps off ( as I assume you are trying to use two different amplfiers, as you had mentioned that the QSC was for the LF only... ) and is it possible that there is something plugged into the headphone jack at all? If you have two amplifiers hooked through binding post straps to the same speaker, that's bad news.

The HK shouldn't be a problem at all, I have a friend with an older on, a 2ch unit like that, not sure of the model though, and he can drive his EP2500 to clipping. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, Carl and Michael. I turned the Clip Limiter off. The other switches are where you both described. Still the same thing. No sound except when both are pegged (for a very short moment) and then I can barely hear the source. It's like, an older stuff, barely hearing the FM radio when you're on Aux 1 on max volume.

Michael, I don't have the QSC hooked up to the 7s yet. Wanted to try it alone powering Forte IIs just to see how it goes before making room in the HT. I understand what you're saying about keeping two amps seperate with the binding post straps removed.

It's like I'm missing some sort of toggle on the HK that tells it to use external power.

I've tried different sources and a Kenwood KA-5002 as a preamp. Also tried using the RCA outs from a cd player directly into the QSC. Same outcome.

It's starting to look like a problem with the QSC. Don't remember bumping or dislodging anything while replacing the fan.

It may be a problem with the unit. I've used my pro stuff with HK, Anthem and Emotiva with no problem driving the amps.

I use RCA-XLR adaptors to adapt home audio to pro audio equipment. I can't remember how this goes but when doing this you are required to have these adaptors with either Pin 1 or pin 3 disconnected from the shield. I can't remember which it is.

Take an ohm meter and put one lead on teh RCA connector housing (grnd). Test both Pin1 and Pin3 of the XLR. You should not have continuity to both.

This is why I did not buy the cables and instead bought adaptors..........as there are clearly 2 kinds. The standard kind and the "ground lift" kind which is what is required.

If you find you have the wrong type you can just break off Pin 1 or Pin 3. As I mention I forgot how this goes. Someone will hopefully chime in on what I am talking about.

I bet there is nothing wrong with your amp.

Very cool. I checked continuity between the XLR pins with the RCA end. The RCA outer ring (ground?) is connected to pin 1. Both pins 2 and 3 have continuity with the center 'male' part of the RCA. If I'm following correctly, looks like I need to cut pin 2 or 3. Does it matter which one?

Couldn't wait. It made sense that either one can be clipped. Cut pin 3 and put the XLR back together. Fired everything up: Music!

Thanks for your help guys! I'll get the first couple rounds of drinks.

Now I can change things around in the HT knowing it'll work.

Said it before, this is the best Forum. [Y]

So how does it sound?

Yes, how do you like that QSC sound?

Using an HK 3390, Forte IIs, and in our cement floor basement, my initial impression was that the QSC bass was less than the HK. After A/Bing more I realized that the QSC bass is tight at all volumes - very precise. The HK bass sounds slightly more full than the QSC at normal volume levels but gets 'floppy' when turning the volume up. The rest of the sound spectrum was very pleasing with the QSC. I didn't perceive it adding anything to the sound. Just power. My RF-7s are going to eat this up! It has next to zero white noise at rest. Super quiet! Barely a hiss when hunting very close to the grille. The gain seemed closest to the HK's volume when set at 8, just past halfway. I'll use an SPL meter when getting it into the HT.

This amp has many possibilties..... I'm super stoked!!!!

If pins 2 and 3 are tied together, that's not right. Depending on how your front end gear is designed ( whether signal ground is the same as earth ground or not ) you might have to tie pins 1 and 3 together. My homemade cables tie pins 1 and 3 together in the XLR end. I should have used two conductor shielded wire, but I just cut a cheap RCA in half, and soldered one up. Any chance that you have a solder blob in the connector shell?

Edit: should have read the rest of the replies before posting, I see you have figured it out. Enjoy!