Klipsch La Scala amp choice

seagull

Hi Guys,

Never thought I'd ask this question,

Been happy using single ended 845.s to drive my lovely (ex dem)latest version La Scala's.

But have just recently heard that a ballsy amp can tighten up the bass....... any thoughts.

By the way I'm on that little overcrowded island, over the pond where you would be hard pressed to know Klipsch had importers.

I get the impression I'm one of very few owners of such Flippin staggeringly brilliant speakers in the country.

Any Brits on this Forum ?

Greetings, and welcome to the forum!

For those with a weakness for SET amps, and just going by the thoughts of others here who also share the disease, 845 amps are among the most cherished for their charming tonality. I would want to keep as much of that as possible.

One option would be to passively bi-amp, with the 845 for the tops, and something with bigger balls for the bass bins. It wouldn't take much power to make a rather notable increase in bass authority. Do you have an extra amp lying around, preferably a Quad or other nice tube amp, maybe a pp type for more damping and power than the 845? I think such a setup would at least address your problems and do enjoyable things to your synapses.

Another option to consider, one which would allow you to continue to use your amps, would be to try adding a couple big, proper subs. Something like those Funkywave 18" monsters, which are among the few subs which have a chance of keeping up with 'Scalas, yet not take up 3/4 of your room like a horn sub would. This would cost more than a small amount, but 'Scalas need subs anyway. Have a look:

http://www.funkaudio.ca/Special_Offers.html (In no way affiliated with these guys, but they do subs properly. Their kits would be a worthwhile DIY project.)

Our resident 'Scala owners will be along share their experience and recommendations any time now...

If your source is predominantly analog...I'd recommend a used Bedini class A. Any of the XX/XX models, if you can find one. Their owners hold on to them for very good reason.

<./p>

If your source material is predominantly digital...Then I'd recommend anything sporting Equibit technology. Sherwood New Castle, Panasonics, and Kenwoods to name a few.

VRDs can be found at www.nosvalves.com or search the forum. Audionectar has well worded posts. Lived 20 miles east of London for a couple of months.

Craig at NOS Valves does business worldwide.

VRDs (valve rollers dream) have "Ballsy bass", excellent synergy with horn speakers and swithcable from ultralinear to triode. Can use several tube types including but not limited to KT88, EL34 and 6L6.

Craig is computer savvy enough to discuss his amps performance with LaScalas by SKYPE I would think.

An American made speaker and American made amp has worked for me for quite a number of years.

Hello. I just came across this thread. I have just recently made a discovery in amp choice that kind of goes against the grain, I guess. With my Volti Audio Vittoras V1, I have in the last 7 months tried a very nice Hybrid amp, Musical Design, a nice 300b tube amp, and a Marantz PM-11S2 integrated (which I sold). I was missing the clear crisp top treble. I purchased a Bryston 14b sst 10 months ago before I received my Vittoras to use with some Vienna Acoustic Strauss (90 db efficency). I have it a spare bedroom as I was going to sell it. It finally occured to me to try it with the Vittoras. I was blown away with my discovery. The top end was perfect, but the biggest find was that I loved the 'punchy' presence it gave to all frequencies. Pianos had much lovelier sound, guitars were more defined and there to me and the bass was truly much momore there to my ears. I immediately dropped my prejudice against solid state with horns. I realized I didn't in actuality desire the ultra smooth sound of a tube based amp. Interesting revelation for me.

I have just recently made a discovery in amp choice that kind of goes against the grain, I guess

Not at all against the grain, probably more with the grain if anything, it's us SET guys who are the weirdos. Brystons are superb. It's good to have both options. Sometimes the whiskey is better appreciated striaght up, yet there are times when a Manhatten just tastes so good, even if it is a foofy drink.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the kind advice, it's great seeing all those mystical far away names, must admit "rodeo drive"

sounds a bit posh. I'll check out that Amp site. I do have a pair of quads sitting on a shelf as it happens.

Keep you posted.

Rodeo drive is forum joke that Craig help start. I live in Beverly Hills, Michigan. . . Much more modest than Calfornia...

I purchased a Bryston 14b sst 10 months ago before I received my Vittoras to use with some Vienna Acoustic Strauss (90 db efficency). I have it a spare bedroom as I was going to sell it. It finally occured to me to try it with the Vittoras. I was blown away with my discovery. The top end was perfect, but the biggest find was that I loved the 'punchy' presence it gave to all frequencies. Pianos had much lovelier sound, guitars were more defined and there to me and the bass was truly much momore there to my ears. I immediately dropped my prejudice against solid state with horns. I realized I didn't in actuality desire the ultra smooth sound of a tube based amp. Interesting revelation for me.

Now you're talking about a serious power amp! Great detail retrieval, very low noise floor, and power to spare. With that kind of headroom, you don't just get more improved presence, you get much more realistic dynamics. This brings the listening experience much closer to hearing live musicians, instead of hearing a good recording.

I'm using two Yamaha MX-D1 dual-mono amps, one for bass, one for treble, with an EV Dx38 processor and no crossovers in the speakers. It brings a whole new level of reality to what you hear.

With piano music in particular, it doesn't sound like a set of strings sitting in the air, it's more like sensing there's a large wooden instrument in the room with its strings ringing out clearly.

Hi Guys, Never thought I'd ask this question, Been happy using single ended 845.s to drive my lovely (ex dem)latest version La Scala's. But have just recently heard that a ballsy amp can tighten up the bass....... any thoughts.

No matter which amp you use, La Scalas have limited bass extension, due to the "compact" size of their cabinets, which were designed to be portable for stage use. They do produce clean sound in the mid-bass range, but it only goes down so far. The bass starts to roll off at around 100 Hz, and below 50 Hz, there's not much to be heard.

They really need a sub to help the bottom end. You can get away with a smallish subwoofer for some acoustic music, but 500 watts or more will do a much better job. People will say you need a monster sub to keep up with the Scalas, but unless you have an auditorium-size listening room, you won't be listening at max La Scala volume, so a mid-level sub will suffice.

That said, a number of forum members are using big horn subs, which come in a rectangular shape that can sort of be tucked mostly out of sight, and do a great job.

For a reasonably small sub, a direct-firing unit would be the most convenient way to go.

The bass starts to roll off at around 100 Hz, and below 50 Hz, there's not much to be heard.

They really need a sub to help the bottom end.

[:^)] If you're listening at moderate levels, you don't need a subwoofer at all. Please check out this video of Belles (that roll off even earlier than La Scalas) and tell me the bass is lacking or sounds worse than a sub. Just need a 15 watt amp or greater and EQ. An SPL meter and a test tone disc wouldn't hurt either. Extension doesn't appear to be the OP's issue. As far as "tightening things up," an SS may or may not be the answer as that 845 is no slouch. There's a lot more variables involved than just the amp.

The bass starts to roll off at around 100 Hz, and below 50 Hz, there's not much to be heard.

They really need a sub to help the bottom end.

Huh? If you're listening at moderate levels, you don't need a subwoofer at all. Please check out this video of Belles (that roll off even earlier than La Scalas) and tell me the bass is lacking or sounds worse than a sub. Just need a 15 watt amp or greater and EQ. An SPL meter and a test tone disc wouldn't hurt either. Extension doesn't appear to be the OP's issue. As far as "tightening things up," an SS may or may not be the answer as that 845 is no slouch. There's a lot more variables involved than just the amp.

I agree sub is not required, mine only gets a work out for movies and some jazz. If you lisen to euro techno funk than a subwoofer is required. If you do not have amp/sytem with good bass than a sub would be required.

I definitely find a sub with LaScalas is quite preferable. As was said, instruments that don't necessary appear to have frequencies in the extreme low end, still have some of their tonality grounded down there. You are attempting to fool your brain into believeing that their are instruments are in your room. Unless you have absolutely never heard an actual instrument in reality, you are not going to buy the illusion as well when the complete range of that instrument and the instruments going along with it sound as complete as they should.

Hi

This is my first post, I live in London England and I too have La Scala 11's in cherry. I bought them one at a time, the first La Sala 11 I aquired in July 2009 and I listened for 2 years in single speaker mono. Even one La Sala 11 in mono had true greatness,(see Jimmy Hughe's review in Hi Fi + no 77 "Back to Mono" of my La Scala 11), it was far superior to my previous pair of Heresy 1111's. I aquired the second La Scala 11 in July this year, I finally had stereo again, the performance is life changing.

Last year I was searching for a high quality low output intergrated amp with XLR balanced connection. After months of looking I aquired the Luxman L550A11 amp, the only suitable amp tube or solid state I could find. For the last 30 years I have used various tube amps, this is the first solid state amp I have used since the 70's. The Luxman is 20 watts pure class A and has proved to be a perfect match for La Scala 11's. The sound is as see through and effortless as tubes, the dynamic extremes are far superior and the mid to lower mid bass is extremely lean, clean and tight.

I have been a Hi-Fi enthusiast since 1971, in the 1980/90's I was a Hi End audio dealer and UK distributor for Impulse horn loaded loudspeakers. Because of the La Scala 11's history, provenence, specification, build quality and life changing performance I consider them to be the greatest speakers in audio history. I have spoken to the current UK Klipsch distributor and he tells me there is very few La Scala 11's in the country, no more than 4 or 5 pairs.