La Scalla/ bi amp

pscottlowe

Hi, I have two dynaco tube amps[sT-70 / 35 wpc] and a pair of La Scalla with the type AA x-overs and I was informed thatall you have to do is disconnect the woofer from the x-over and run it separate from the mid and tweeter horns. I tried it and was not impressed.Is this the correct way to bi-amp or do i need to add a "filter" or what .I like the idea of bi amping .If i cant do it this way then i will likely sell both st-70`s and get an st-120 [60 WPC] . 35 watts per channel sounds great but these would for sure benifit from more power. thanks Scott in Eugene

Chris is right, active is the way to go, although it does require more gear.

It sounds like you're running the woofer full-range, which would account for the less than thrilling results you experienced. You can still passively bi-amp, but you have to send the signal through the low pass filter leg of the crossover, not directly to the woofer. This won't give the full benefits of going fully active, but it should improve things significantly enough to make digging into your crossover worth the effort.

To bi-amp La Scalas properly, the best bet is to do the JubScala conversion. This means disconnecting the tweeters and squawkers and crossovers and replacing them with either the medium-sized K510 or the very large K402 tweeters and using an active crossover/processor, along with two matching stereo power amps.

It's not cheap, but you'll get better sound than you could ever have imagined from your La Scalas.

Search on the forum or on Google for "JubScala" and you should be able to find out what you need to know.

It's not cheap, but you'll get better sound than you could ever have imagined from your La Scalas

They would also no longer be La Scalas by definition. Try it in another context. One could claim the best pizza is had by sealing the edges prior to cooking. Well, that's no longer a pizza, it's a calzone. If one ordered a pizza, and got a calzone, they'd promptly return the order. Like wise, one cannot simply cut open a calzone and call it a pizza, especially when that cut cost a couple hundred bucks and a few days back in the kitchen.

I understand the merits of the Jubscala and I'm not saying it's a bad setup. But the advice seems a little extreme to me. Bi-amping involves no cabinet modification, and can yet provide substantial gains in performance. [H]

It's not cheap, but you'll get better sound than you could ever have imagined from your La Scalas

They would also no longer be La Scalas by definition.

I understand the merits of the Jubscala and I'm not saying it's a bad setup. But the advice seems a little extreme to me. Bi-amping involves no cabinet modification, and can yet provide substantial gains in performance. Cool

That's true, but we're not in some sort of speaker concours, with everything having to look "factory original". As well, there are no cabinet modifications with JubScalas; you just put the Jubilee tweeters on top of the La Scala cabinets.

It's certainly possible to bi-amp stock La Scalas and realize some improvements, but if the OP wants to acquire an active crossover and already has a second matching amp, all he needs is the large or small Jubilee tweeters to go all the way, and have the benefit of factory-tested crossover settings.

Sticking with the stock K400/K55 squawker and K-77 tweeter would limit the improvements, plus he'd be in the dark as regards crossover settings. If you've seen the Dx38 Jubilee/JubScala settings, you'd know it's not possible to come close to that level of precision without a professional lab and instruments, plus the years of expertise in using them, such as you'd find at the Klipsch factory.

They would also no longer be La Scalas by definition.

I understand the merits of the Jubscala and I'm not saying it's a bad setup. But the advice seems a little extreme to me. Bi-amping involves no cabinet modification, and can yet provide substantial gains in performance. Cool

That's true, but we're not in some sort of speaker concours, with everything having to look "factory original". As well, there are no cabinet modifications with JubScalas; you just put the Jubilee tweeters on top of the La Scala cabinets.

It's certainly possible to bi-amp stock La Scalas and realize some improvements, but if the OP wants to acquire an active crossover and already has a second matching amp, all he needs is the large or small Jubilee tweeters to go all the way, and have the benefit of factory-tested crossover settings.

Sticking with the stock K400/K55 squawker and K-77 tweeter would limit the improvements, plus he'd be in the dark as regards crossover settings. If you've seen the Dx38 Jubilee/JubScala settings, you'd know it's not possible to come close to that level of precision without a professional lab and instruments, plus the years of expertise in using them, such as you'd find at the Klipsch factory.

You could always call them MCMScala or what about LA510's.

The cornscala is the most cornfusing of all for me. It could be a cornhorn!

If i cant do it this way then i will likely sell both st-70`s and get an st-120 [60 WPC] . 35 watts per channel sounds great but these would for sure benifit from more power. thanks Scott in Eugene

I don't know how loud you listen, but 35wpc on the LaScalas is rpetty good. Since I use 3.5 wpc amps, you may say your 35 really isn't enough, but I've also used an ST-70 on them, and they have plenty of headroom and LaScala slam. Unless the Dynaco has been modded a bit, the bass won't beas solid/tight as you might want.

If the mids are still too forward, I would suggest you try adjusting the autoformer to pull the mid volume down a bit. It will make the balance with the bass a lot better.

Just what are you trying to accomplish?

Bruce

btw, welcome to the forums...