6.1, 7.1, 8.1

Can somebody explain the difference between the three above?

I have a Denon AVR5700 that can run 8.1 with external sources but I don't know how or what that means. The manual mentions a decoder but that's it. Do I need more receivers, amps or what? Furthermore what is the definition on anything above 5.1?

I thought 6.1 was a center channel in the back. Some say it's front effect speakers between the center and mains. Any other opinions out there?

Once that's decided can someone tell me what 7.1 or even 8.1 is? I think Onkyo even has a 9.1 right now if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow, what stemmed this whole debacle was my purchase of a second KLF C7 center to use in my center rear.

Question is....HOW?

I am currently running 5.1 with two sets of surrounds. 2 in back and 2 on the side. I have no more speaker terminals on my Denon to run effects or another rear center. What do I do next?

Any help out there? Thanks.

• Like 1

use the pre-amp outs for your l and r surround back speakers and go into the l,r input of a pro-logic receiver. hook your center rear into the center front speaker out of the pro-logic receiver, and VIOLA! center rear. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

un, in a nutshell look out caus the industries can confuse number of channels W/ # of speakers. i think w/ onkyo that 9.1 is the model # (i got confused on what they were implying there myself cwm13.gif)

the max # of discrete channels for HT right now is 6.1

w/ dts es 6.1 discrete.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

un, on back of the 5700, in the same section as the sub out, should be something called like pre outs w/ rca jacks to connect to an amp or other device w/ rca cables. including the sub out there should be 8 total outputs. so they may say 8 channels because that includes the .1 as a channel (7 + .1 = 8 channels).

i think av is saying you could run from just the

2 surround channel pre outs of the 5700 to a prologic receiver inputs & connect just a rear surround speaker to the center speaker posts of that prologic receiver.

then that receiver set on prologic will take the surround signals of the 5700 & matrix them into a rear center "channel"/speaker.

or since you have those rear effects preouts u could run from 1 or both of those to an amp or receiver & run the 1 or 2 rear surround speaks off of that. the 5700 does not have the amp available for the 6th or 7th channel/speaker.

but they mean the 5700 has 8 preouts (rca jacks). that would be 7 outs (LF, RF, C, LS, RS, & 2 rear effects) + the sub (.1) out =8. so it's what they call 7.1 channels. 8.1 would be 9 so called channels & doesn't yet exist. kinda confusin huh. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-09-2002 at 02:18 PM

anyone have any ideas how an 8.1 speaker setup would

be.. or even i wonder if they would do like say 7.2

vs 8.1 w/a 7.1 setup + 2 subs

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

quick, i've read where that sony movie sys does more channels in the center, but of course those movie theaters have a pretty wide front. also guess a channel/speaker firing down right above the listening position is a possibility. myself would want that installed & pretty well anchored in the ceiling though. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I've got 11 speakers a'runnin! They, like some women I used to hang with, aren't discreet though! Sounds pretty dang good! Sounded great on Stars Wars:Episode 1 via cable a few minutes ago! I was impressed my own dang self!

Keith

I'm close to Talk to Keith, I have 10, I don't have a rear center. I have two pairs of mains, two pairs of rears, a center and a sub. The receiver only runs one pair of mains the others all run off outboard amplification. The effects are stunning to say the least, the Denon AVR-3300 seldom has to be turned up past -45 to be loud. The gobs of power really make the sound dynamic and the DBX processing makes it so lifelike you will jump out of your seat during unexpected transients. Although when running in DD or DTS the DBX units are not in use they only run in the analog domain. Some DVDs use lots of compression, so the Digital Series 3BX unit can retrieve what was lost and the Digital Series 120X harnesses the bass notes, it is then monitored and fine tuned by the DBX 14 band computer equalizer, it also provides real time decibel level measurements. Klipsch and Home Theater how could one go wrong.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (ALF/ARF)LWE-I's w/motion feedback

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (400W X 1)(KV-4 Center)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier (400W X 2)(Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4)(RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & Infinity SM82 (Walnut)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

Pioneer CT-S88R Programmable Auto-Reverse Cassette Deck

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers (Eggshell)(LF/RF)

JBL T545's (Rear)

GE 20" Television

I'm with you Frz.The moreier,the merrier!

Experienced the best example of room acoutics/speaker interaction I've ever seen(heard)last night.A good friend that I worked with for over 20 years (hurt on job/disabled) built a HT room in his basement 6 years ago and was ready to equip the room with front projector and JBL speakers when his unfortunate accident happened.I recently 'loaned' him the Synergy Premiere speaker system and had not heard/seen the setup since he installed/wired the speakers.He has an older top-o-the-line Yamaha Dolby receiver,and I have been preaching to him that he would not believe the difference a good DD DTS DVD would make.

So after actually having a little time off I loaded up the spare Technics $157 U-Bid DD receiver(don't laugh!)and the usual two bags of various tools,wire,interconnects, etc. and headed out.Good food and liquid refreshment over with, we quickly inserted the Technics receiver into his audio rack and then commenced cussin' for an hour or so before remembering to set DTS 'on' in the DVD player menu,and also bitstream.A loud roar of hooray's followed the lighting of the DTS LED.

His jaw dropped milleseconds before mine did! There is something about his room that compliments unbelieveably this speaker system! And he is running only the front L/R, center,and the S-6 surrounds(sounded almost as good as my stuff...ALMOST!).

Point being,as we all know,room acoustics is the single most important factor in a HT environment.

Gotta go.Gotta go find another house.Gotta get the measurements of that room first though!

Keith