Speaker Type & Placement -- New Home Construction

kde

In the attached picture -- I am asking for advice on what type of speakers to use in this configuration. This is a living room in a new home construction where a 65" tv will be mounted into the stone opening. 5.1 -- I can figure out the sub and the ceiling speakers, but looking for help with the LCR. The L & R would need to be mounted on the walls to the side of the stone work (potentially mounted in the sheetrock) with the C under the tv... or I could do a soundbar and keep everything tidy in the stonework.

All the wire is run in advance and will run to a closet for hidden equipment. Purpose would generally be tv or listening to music for social settings (ex. parties)... not in depth detailed listening. Equipment will be powered by a Pioneer SC-35 or 37 or equivalent. Purposely not listing budget as I am more interested in the appropriate set up versus the cost. Not looking for floorstanding speakers in this situation. Really would appreciate any and all feedback.

First time posting a picture... so hoping it works.

post-18014-13819665412492_thumb.jpg

The new Gallery series would be tidy.
t450_x1_fc814ee79c54a2c3256dd332d98355d5

There are also Reference series in wall/ceiling speakers that I have heard good things about. If you go with the Reference in walls, then the problem is what to use as a center.

t450_22f5c51254eaa6b954897df55d920e98.jp

If you put a mantle under the TV, then you could use one of the reference centers like the RC-52.t450_7c65c5519f7589b98792a73df1672971.jp

Well, your first mistake is that you are building a new house and trying to find speakers to work. Instead, you should have bought 4 KHorns and a LaScalla and and built the house around the speakers. Since you screwed that up, I was thinking about the Klipsch Gallery. I really think your wall is their target audience. By the way, that looks very nice!

I was thinking about the reference in-walls for the L & R and then mounting the C under the TV in the cut out space. I think I can get the tv and the speaker in the arranged space. Does it matter that the L & R would be so far from the TV (maybe 6 - 8 feet on each side)? I also like the Gallery series and will look into them, but the ideal design would be flush mount in-wall.

As far as my "mistake"... I don't think the bigger speakers were ever in the running for this audience (my parents). I'd love them in my house though.

I was thinking about the reference in-walls for the L & R and then mounting the C under the TV in the cut out space. I think I can get the tv and the speaker in the arranged space. Does it matter that the L & R would be so far from the TV (maybe 6 - 8 feet on each side)? I also like the Gallery series and will look into them, but the ideal design would be flush mount in-wall. As far as my "mistake"... I don't think the bigger speakers were ever in the running for this audience (my parents). I'd love them in my house though.

Actually, you could have the mason cut and exact fit under the TV hole and use in wall Reference there. The R-5502-W can be mounted horizonally, and looks like a good center. When you asked about 6-8' for the L/R, here is my thought. The masonry sticks out. If you wall mount too close to the masonry, you will block half your audience. It needs to be far enough from the masonry to get at least 90 degrees soundstage from each speaker (45 from straight out).

t450_362b98a06c909ed3a524b26cc4d21b25.jp

I was thinking about the reference in-walls for the L & R and then mounting the C under the TV in the cut out space. I think I can get the tv and the speaker in the arranged space. Does it matter that the L & R would be so far from the TV (maybe 6 - 8 feet on each side)? I also like the Gallery series and will look into them, but the ideal design would be flush mount in-wall.

You might want to take a look at this post: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154887/1631781.aspx#1631781 If you are not trying to maximise in-room acoustic imaging performance in your HT, just ignore this.

However, if you're really looking for good imaging performance, Id recommend floor-standing speakers placed out away from the mansonry for the fronts and a center channel that can be placed out on a mantle in order to avoid early reflections.

Generally speaking, in-wall speakers really need a smooth wall to function well and even then, the in-wall speakers need good polar control in order to keep their close reflections off the wall at the exit. In-walls also tend to suffer from not being able to toe them in to your prime listening position in order to get really good imaging.

Having the fronts 8 feet or more from the TV isn't a problem for me: the video soundtracks will actually be a bit more enhanced if the fronts are spread a bit, IMHO.

Sorry to be the voice of dissent. [:#]

Chris

Thanks for posting the link -- however I don't think that we will go as far as in room accoustics for this room. This will be more for comfortanble interior design and watching games on tv while being in the kitchen, etc.

What are the forums thoughts a soundbar in this situation? Seems like it would be a clean set up to have everything mounted in the stone enclosure.

Thanks for posting the link -- however I don't think that we will go as far as in room accoustics for this room. This will be more for comfortanble interior design and watching games on tv while being in the kitchen, etc.

What are the forums thoughts a soundbar in this situation? Seems like it would be a clean set up to have everything mounted in the stone enclosure.

looks like klipsch has ya covered - http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g-42-soundbar

Yes... but does anyone have experience between a soundbar versus the LCR? How different is the sound? Is the only reason to go with the soundbar for design aspects?

A soundbar does not adequately replace a frount L/R/C set-up. It adds clarity and space to the sound, but not seperation. The soundbars I've heard help with dialogue and add to a bit of ambiance to the visual product and that can be really nice if that's what you're looking for. IMO, soundbars are what TV speakers SHOULD be. Discrete channel surround is something totally different.

If you use the L/R gallery speakers, the soundbar "quasi surround" can be replaced with a center Gallery speaker as a pure center channel speaker. In my original post here, I showed a LCR Gallery shot. This would be a nice setup Half of the price of this system is the SW-311 sub. (you would wall mount everything, and in the rectangluar space below the TV hole, you can house your electronic equipment, and your blu-rays, etc.):

t450_3c40db39ae77ac6d549eb7dc5f9cef7f.jp

They do have very nice grilles as you can see here:

t450_x12_fc814ee79c54a2c3256dd332d98355d

• 4 weeks later...

If I want to go the in wall speaker route for the L & R, but the only place I can put them is much higher than ear level (say ~8 feet high from the ground and ~8 feet away from the edge of the tv)... will the in wall reference series work... or will I need something that I can angle back towards the seating position? Most of the in wall speakers I see are positioned right next to the tv and therefore directed to the listening area. I am concerned how in walls will work if they are flush against the wall and pointing straight out and not pointed to the seats.

Ay advice?

I'd be careful about raising the speakers too high (i.e., anything higher than ear level while standing--hopefully lower...).

I used horn subwoofers under my Jubs and I had some real issues that required me to move the Jubs to the floor.

Chris

• 4 months later...

ummm sorry for the off question, kde, but I just stumbled on through here and am curious what kind of stone you used on your fireplace...i'm currently remodeling mine in a similar fashion to yours and like your stone of choice there............