used value of RF-82 and RW-12d opinions needed

jordan122345

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cornfed may be thinking about a special order pair I saw in Mohogany once.

See this VERY dark cherry: http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-classic-rf-7-floorstanding-speaker

The speakers listed in this thread definately aren't the RF-7 Classic as the front of the Classic is also finished in wood veneer like the RF-7 II.

Very interesting, I wonder if they ever actually made the dark cherry other than a few pairs for trial/display.I bought mine when released, there was only a cherry, maple and black option, not dark cherry.My bud was a Klipsch dealer for 10 years, I ordered mine, never saw one pair, the set in the op picture are original production RF 7 just like mine.

Click to enlarge.

post-9397-13819666566566_thumb.jpg

SO I need to come up with a price to offer him before I drive 2 hours each way and then try to offer him something and then say no to my offer and then have to drive back home empty handed.So he originally wanted $850 but then said he would take only $50 off for the dents.Is that reasonable or not at all.Whats a decent price that is fair for me and the seller.Also will the dented cones make any difference in performance or just looks.

• Moderators

SO I need to come up with a price to offer him before I drive 2 hours each way and then try to offer him something

This is a bad idea. If someone does that to me and tries to offer me less in my home, I let them drive the 2 hours back. Then again, I'm never in a hurry to sell gear. If it takes me several months to sell it, so be it. I guess I just don't play that game. To me, we agree on a price over the phone, email or text. Only time I would be willing to take less than that is if they got there and we discover something significant that was not stated in the ad or in conversation. In other words, only if I misrepresented the item I was selling.

He TOTALLY has the advantage. He knows most people will not be willing to leave empty handed after driving for 4 hours. If they do, they are crazy to waste that much in gas for a "chance" to get a lower price.

I would ask the seller about the plant. If it is fake ask if the tops are scratched. If they are real, need to find out if there are scratches or dents. Does he have the grills? Do they have any tears/snags in them? Are any of the grill pegs broken?

If I am driving 2hrs one way, I want to be sure what I am buying before I ever get in the car. I don't want any surprises when I get there. "Sorry I forgot to tell you they don't work". LOL

Let me look up some comparison prices and I'll post in a few minutes.

I would tell him I would rather pay 850 for a nice pair than save 100 and live with cosmetic issues.I personally would not go beyond 750 (stretching) and that's if the rest of the cosmetics and function are almost perfect.

I gotta ya.I was going to email before I left and see what he says about the new offer.I wouldnt go there and then offer him less than we had talked. He does have the grills and they are in very good shape.And he said other than the dents is that they could use some pledge and then are ready to go

• Moderators

I agree, no need to lowball him but fair price is fair. You have to look at Current Market Value, what are they currently selling for?

Here is what I found

Audiogon for $600 - Link

Pair for $850 -Link

Pair for $750 - Link

Not many selling in the US right now but maybe that gives you an idea. Doesn't hurt to ask. Ask him the questions I told you to ask and based on his response, give him a number you are comfortable paying. Use the dented woofers and the replacement cost on those to help lower the price. If there is additional damage (water damage, scratches etc), that just helps lower the cost even more.

But for what it's worth, I'm a bargain hunger...a frugal shopper....ok.....I'm a scavenger. LOL

• Moderators

I agree with Fish. Whether you keep the woofers asis or replace them, that's your perogative. Remember, if you pay $800, you will have over $100 in gas, 4 hours of your time and if you decide to replace woofers, another $200 - $300 (depending on whether you can find a used pair or have to buy new).

Just something to think about. I would email him tonight.

• Moderators

Worst he can say is no. If he fights, see if he will meet in the middle (price wise). And make sure you get the monster cable wire too (he offered in his ad). Even if you don't keep it, sell it on Ebay and that's more money in your pocket.

Just as a side not, I drove 7 hrs one time to buy a 70 Cuda, looked at 10 minutes and drove home without it.The guy misrepresented it and touched pics up, he thought if I drove that far I would buy it, he was freaked when I told him no need to start it.The next time I drove 8hrs one way and scored big.

The point is....get all the info you can and only buy if it's right.Just as Youthman noted, don't get in a hurry and wait for the right deal.