Some lascala questions

XxCowboyxX

I'm seriously considering selling my current setup and going with a 7.1 with all lascalas. Room is not even almost an issue, the room is 23x22 feet. With my current equipment would that be a significant difference? I have rs62ii currently on the sides, it's not in my profile. Also when I seek them out should I consider a certain year range? Also what doing something like crites crossovers or similar be worth it all the way around? And last but not least will my xpa have too much wattage for them?

If you can ever get a chance to go to Indianapolis, you could probably visit a forum members home who's got an all LaScala system.

Admitting that I've never heard an RS system, I'd have to vote yes that the LaScala would be a significiant difference, especially with an appropriate sub.

When you start talking crossovers, what's your total budget for this possiblity?

Regarding which vintage.... my personal opinion is the cabinet matters more than anything. Can you live with some that are banged up? (and save some $$) or do you prefer to pay a premium to get a more pristine cabinet?

I'm personally ok with saving some funds and giving up on some asthetics as long as they're functional.

If you want to look into upgrading and go balls to the wall, do a search on JubeScala. (not an inexpensive proposition)

I love my LaScala 6.2 system. I am currently running a 150 wpc Integra DTA-70.1, and the speakers repond beautifully. They can take everything that amp throws their way. I typically play at -7 db for loud music I want to feel. My space is 50' X 50', and these speakers amaze everybody who comes in the door. I am running dual THT's as my subs.

I bought used pairs, and then patched up what needed patched as I brought them in. Two pairs had AA crossovers I re-capped. The other pair had perfect AL-3's. I had some leaks in a couple of the sub cabinets where the gaskets are. I had some feet worn down, and a million screws I replaced. I covered the 4 nicest speakers with a cut up D/R table pad.

I have about $3,000 invested in the 6 LaScalas, and about another $500 in the two tubas. That is the price of a single LaScala II.

Several people (including a couple on this forum) have said the La Scala II sounds better. Some attribute the improvement to the less resonant cabinet (thicker wood). The crosovers on the II may or may not reduce the anomaly in the midrange above its intended range, and may have a steeper slope on the tweeter. Someone on the forum will no doubt know. A compromise would be to use IIs for your front three speakers, and regular La Scalas Is for surround.

Your previous posts indicate you would like more bass than you are getting now. If you get La Scalas, try corner placement (with small acoustical panels at the first reflection points only), and try moving your listening seats back and forth. Every room has bands of increased bass and diminished bass. Repeat a short piece of music with a lot of bass and "walk the room" from back to front and put your chairs/couch where there is the highest proportion of bass, compared to the mids and highs. The La Scalas will give you clean bass, but your current speakers may reach lower.

IMO, the best set-up for you might be La Scala IIs (or Klipschorns or Jubs) and your Tuba.

Also, La Scalas are used quite a bit by performers, and may have been played long and often at high SPLs. I've never known for sure whether a speaker can be a "little bit" damaged by abuse, but I have heard tweeters that were O.K. most of the time, but sounded slightly distorted on certain notes. Buying new ones (IIs) would get around this problem.

I'm not sure where the center frequencies of your EQ sliders are, or how many you have, but bass "punch" can be anywhere from about 40 Hz to about 150 Hz, depending on what's punching. La Scalas are best above about 55 Hz, thus the need for a sub. If you are sitting in an area of bass cancellation, turning up the bass will not help much, and may reduce your amp's available headroom.

Do you have Audyssey?

I have the chance to buy a pair of MINT Belle's in a Brazillian Rosewood they are $1500 though. The wood finish isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some but they look amazing and II am very curious how this would do in my system if I am planning an all Lascala system. I'd HATE to try and find all belle's if the sound was too far apart. Heck I might even just do 3 lascalla/belle upfront and do maybe a different style surround like heresy maybe? Up for suggestions.

I have the chance to buy a pair of MINT Belle's in a Brazillian Rosewood they are $1500 though. The wood finish isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some but they look amazing and II am very curious how this would do in my system if I am planning an all Lascala system. I'd HATE to try and find all belle's if the sound was too far apart. Heck I might even just do 3 lascalla/belle upfront and do maybe a different style surround like heresy maybe? Up for suggestions.

Is there space behind your front wall? One way to go might be to hide a center La Scala (or, better, a La Scala II) by flush mounting it, covering it with acoustically transparent fabric from a place like Acoustone (take any existing grille cloth over the mid & high units off), then place the two beautiful Brazilian Rosewood Belles in the two front corners. The La Scala back would have to stick out into the next room, or with luck, a closet ... or you could could build an elegant box around it in the next room, making it look like a table or a cabinet. It's too low for a moose head. The only reason for hiding the La Scala is that it will look different from, and worse than, the BR Belles, and those with OCD would be distracted by trying to determine if it sounds different. It doesn't matter so much what the surrounds look like. The surrounds could be Heresy II or IIIs, but La Scalas would be better. I'm happy with our Heresy II surrounds, set for SMALL, with a sub.

I've seen something like this done, and it worked well. A few people, who didn't look too carefully, thought that the Belles had amazing imaging, and a phenomenal phantom third channel!

Where is your sub located?