Surround Spekaer upgrade suggestion for RF-63

mils

I have a 5.1 system, RF-63, RC-64 and RS-52 and would like to upgrade my surround speakers.

For now, there are 2 options for me, RS-62 and KS-525 .

From the spec, RS-62 is definitely better than KS-525, even RS-52 is better than KS-525.

My quesiton is that is KS-525 better than RS-62? KS-525 meets THX specification means better than RS-62?

Thanks.

• Moderators

What is it that your RS-52's are lacking in? I have mine setup with my RF-83's and have no desire to "upgrade" to the RS-62's. If it were me, I would use that money towards maybe an Amp, 2nd sub or upgrade to the RF-83's. Not trying to steer you away from upgrading, just to me, I'm just not sure you would hear a ton of difference by upgrading your surrounds.

If it were me, I would use that money towards maybe an Amp, 2nd sub or upgrade to the RF-83's. Not trying to steer you away from upgrading, just to me, I'm just not sure you would hear a ton of difference by upgrading your surrounds.

I completely agree with Youthman. I have a pair of RS-35's running with my RF-63's and am very pleased how they keep up with them. I am sure your RS-52's are better quality speakers than my RS-35's so it does puzzle me that you think they are lacking some. On the other hand, the RS-62's are beasts for surrounds and I am sure they do sound larger than either the 35's or 52's. They definitely don't come cheap.

Bill

My quesiton is that is KS-525 better than RS-62? KS-525 meets THX specification means better than RS-62?

They may or may not be better but it will not be because of the THX certification. All that means is that the KS-525's were tested and passed the requirements for THX certification. THX certification was not seeked for the RS-62's but that does not mean they would not pass the tests.

Bill

Thank you guys.

The reason for me to replace my RS-52 is becasue I hope to listen a bigger sound stage to match with RF-63 and RC64.

In the beginning, I think of RS-62 first but the size is too big for my cabinet. This is why I take KS-525 into consideration.

The price of KS-525 is higher than RS-52 and RS-62(or equal), so I guess KS-525 is better than RS-52.

I believe that all of the Reference line would meet THX certification, but a purposeful decision was made not to certify in order to keep cost down.

Actually I'd wager few if any of the Reference line would likely meet THX certification, given the stringent and very specific performance requirements AND receiver/amplifier compatibility requirements. However, this does not make the THX line inherently superior to the Reference line; for example a pair of RF-63s would clearly outperform the THX LCRs in several important performance metrics. In the end, it's about which suits your needs better.

As far as the original question, have you considered moving to 7.1? It seems to me given your desire for a larger sound that this would make the most sense, and a pair of RB-61s may fit the bill nicely.

I went from 52s to 62s, they are much larger and do yield some benefits, but I would first recommend 1 of 2 things, add external amps if you dont have them already, and then look at adding bookshelves to go to 7.1 prior to doing a simple 52 to 62 upgrade, I think these 2 options would yield better results

Actually I'd wager few if any of the Reference line would likely meet THX certification, given the stringent and very specific performance requirements AND receiver/amplifier compatibility requirements. However, this does not make the THX line inherently superior to the Reference line; for example a pair of RF-63s would clearly outperform the THX LCRs in several important performance metrics. In the end, it's about which suits your needs better.

What criteria do you think they would miss on? What performance metrics do you think the Reference line outperforms THX?

What criteria do you think they would miss on?

THX Ultra requirements among other things calls for a very flat frequency response, most particularly in the midrange

http://www.hometheater.com/content/klipsch-reference-rb-61-ii-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

vs

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/klipsch-thx-ultra2/page-5

Impedance is another issue, as it relates to compatibility with THX certified amplifiers & receivers. The THX specified minimum is 3.2 ohms.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-bench-klipsch-rf-83-home-theater-speaker-system

None of the speakers measured here meet that criterion

Finally, I would suspect that dispersion is likely to be an issue. THX calls for a very wide, smooth horizontal dispersion pattern with the goal of a "good seat" at every seat. They don't release the actual specification, and only one Klipsch Reference speaker that I know of has been measured in this regard. However, it seems to go against the Klipsch mantra of controlled directivity. FWIW: http://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-rb-15-loudspeaker-measurements Not abysmal, but not what I'd call especially wide and smooth either.

What performance metrics do you think the Reference line outperforms THX?

Obviously its dependent upon the model. However, I think its safe to say that a RF-7II has some clear cut advantages over the THX line: deeper bass response, greater total output capability, and likely lower distortion at higher drive levels.

I went from 52s to 62s, they are much larger and do yield some benefits, but I would first recommend 1 of 2 things, add external amps if you dont have them already, and then look at adding bookshelves to go to 7.1 prior to doing a simple 52 to 62 upgrade, I think these 2 options would yield better results

I am using onkyo 5008 and I am not sure if it is necessary to add extra power amp for high efficiency Klipsch? Is 5008 not powerful enough?

I might not have enough space for surround back because my sofa is against the wall.

The distance from RS-52 to my listen position is ~10 feet.I am thinking about the upgrade to KS-525 or try to put RS-62 in my small closet.

I am guessing the advantage of THX series is at high sound pressure level, >100dB?

I am using onkyo 5008 and I am not sure if it is necessary to add extra power amp for high efficiency Klipsch? Is 5008 not powerful enough?

A 5008 is a very powerful and robust receiver. I wouldn't expect it to present a significant bottleneck in real world usage except under fairly extreme circumstances.

I might not have enough space for surround back because my sofa is against the wall.

IMO, this is very likely to be a key to your complaint. Is there any way to move the sofa at least a few feet off the wall?

I am guessing the advantage of THX series is at high sound pressure level, >100dB?

Not exactly. The appeal of a THX Ultra system in an appropriately sized room (3000 cubic feet) is that it should yield an experience that is as close as possible to what you would hear in a THX certified cinema or a THX certified recording studio.