adding a second sub question?

abjonesiii

hey guys,

I would like some opinous from the audience. I ran across a rw 12d for a can't refuse price if i want it. So i was thinking of picking it up to add to my system as a second sub to even out the room. Currently I have rf-82's, rc-64, rs-62"s, rb-61 (7.1) and a rsw10d for the sub work. Would adding the 12d in the same room as rsw10d be a good move for balance or would the 12 just muddy up the exceptional bass of the rsw10d?

Any thoughts?

So i was thinking of picking it up to add to my system as a second sub to even out the room. Currently I have rf-82's, rc-64, rs-62"s, rb-61 (7.1) and a rsw10d for the sub work. Would adding the 12d in the same room as rsw10d be a good move for balance or would the 12 just muddy up the exceptional bass of the rsw10d? Any thoughts?

First thought, the RSW-10d is one musical sub. Very tight and fast without any boominess at all, IMO.

Second thought, the RW-12d can complement the RSW-10d but it will require some patience and effort to get it just right. May I suggest different crossover settings so as to minimize bass cancellations. Use the crossover on your receiver for the RSW-10d(80Hz) and set the RW-12d's on board crossover to say 40Hz and play around with the phase settings on the RW-12d. Do a lot of trial and error.

I am blending my RSW-10d with a Paradigm Servo 15a and the results are very pleasing to my ear.

Bill

I would try to sell the RSW-10D an pick up another RSW-12D( they were just on sale for $300). Running two different subs is very difficult to get adjusted and the two 12's will give you more output and low end extension. My 2 cents...

I would try to sell the RSW-10D an pick up another RSW-12D

I don't think it is a good idea to sell a much more quality sub for a mid level sub. That RSW-10d is a beast in a small package and is really hard to beat for music. You might consider just buying a pair of RW-12d's for that crazy newegg price and then do an exhaustive AB comparison. Decide then what to keep and you will have no problem selling either one.

two 12's will give you more output and low end extension

Maybe a little more output but no more low end extension. Both the RW-12d and the RSW-10d have a frequency response of 24Hz to 120Hz +/-3dB.

As you can see from this link, the RSW-10d can play pretty loud also.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/80433.aspx?PageIndex=1

Bill

I totally screwed that up. I got the models screwed up. Sorry OP.......

Easy mistake, I think we all get mixed up sometimes with Klipsch's similar model numbers.[*-)]

After I read your post again, I figured you meant selling the RW-10d instead of the RSW-10d. There is really a night and day difference between those two subs. I have them both and the RSW easily trumps the RW.

Bill

Thanks for the quick replay guys. ANd no worries on the mix up K5SS, however my heart did briefly stop at the though of selling my RSW10 ;)

So as fate would have it, to throw another wrench in the pile I just left my dealer from picking up some new toys (yeah!) and he offered me an incredible deal on a SW-310. I don't think i should say the price on here. (its that good!) So then begs the question of how would the SW-310 pair up with my RSW10d?

The two are very similar to my ear. Would the sw in the same room as the rsw10 be of any real benefit over the 12d? Worth some extra money over the insane new egg price? Or would the 12d be more than capable of helping the rsw10 smooth out the null areas in my room?

Thanks guys!

So then begs the question of how would the SW-310 pair up with my RSW10d? The two are very similar to my ear. Would the sw in the same room as the rsw10 be of any real benefit over the 12d?

From the specs and the fact that they are both sealed with passive radiators, I think those two subs will be much easier to blend together than for your RSW-10d and an RW-12d. If the SW-310 deal is really that good, go for it.

Bill

I recently added another sub to my setup, after talking to SVS they told me that subs don't suffer as much from timber matching as speakers do. I think if you stay within the same brand and relative performance you should have an easy time setting multiple subs up. I say this assuming the subs are of similar design (ie 2 sealed subs or 2 ported subs).

I added a PB12 plus/2 to my PB13 ultra and setup was pretty simple, still need to play with it but with the limited time i've had at home with it, it sounds darn good. The wife was not please with yet another LARGE speaker in the living room.

I asked first she said yes, then said you didn't say it was another huge speaker. I responded did you think it would be little. I got no response.

• 3 weeks later...

Well to bing this story to a close the "second sub bug" has been on me hard for a while now. I thought If I resist it long enough it will flee. That didn't work out too well.

I had basically decided to wait for the 115 to come out and see how it faired. Based on its quality I would make my decision for the 115 or 310. But then... I found by somewhat of an accident one sole RSW10-d for sale on amazon, brand spanking new. It would match my 10-d perfectly and deliver the quality of bass I am looking for. I know it only goes to 24 hertz and I am just fine with that. Sure digging to 16 hz would be great but with my budget it would be at the expense of quality tight bass. So after dragging my feet for a week thinking about it I bought it! At less than half the price i paid for my first one and I got a deal the first go round.

Well it arrived today and HOLY COW! I have long heard about the benefits of two sub but, oh my! The bass from one RSW 10-d is fantastic but the second one brought a super tight clarity and distinct chest thump that I was looking for. Loaded up Transformer and the difference was tangible. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference and had thrown away money but now I wish I had done this sooner.

As a side not my wife is happy for me, but less than thrilled. Her only question was "Is the house going to shake more?... sigh" And yes it does.

post-33580-138196841794_thumb.jpg

Well it arrived today and HOLY COW! I have long heard about the benefits of two sub but, oh my! The bass from one RSW 10-d is fantastic but the second one brought a super tight clarity and distinct chest thump that I was looking for. Loaded up Transformer and the difference was tangible. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference and had thrown away money but now I wish I had done this sooner.

Congratulations. You know my view about the RSW-10d.[Y][8][8][Y] Wish me luck in finding a second one in cherry. I know two of them will sound great.

Bill

Congratulations. You know my view about the RSW-10d.YesMusicMusicYes Wish me luck in finding a second one in cherry. I know two of them will sound great.

Bill

Bill, when you finally find one you won't be disappointed. I will keep my ears open for any cherry ones floating around.

Albert