Home Theater Questions

Ryan Dro

Hello,

I just discovered the world of Home Theaters, and after doing some investigating on the internet I feel like a little boy in a candy shop. There is so much out there in the way of home theaters that, needless to say, I am completely lost as to what I should be looking into. I know I found the right place to get my speakers (klipsch of course) but as for everything else I am lost. What else do I need to make a home theater? Where can I get it? ...etc.

Any help would be great!

-Ryan

The minimum for a Home Theater system, besides the TV, would be a DVD player, Receiver, 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer.

The receiver should be capable of decoding Dolby Digital (aka AC-3), DTS and creating Dolby Pro-Logic from an analog source (TV or VCR). It grows from there. While I always recommend Klipsch speakers, using them requires quality electronics. Shop carefully for the receiver. If your receiver does the decoding, you can save a little money with a cheaper DVD player, since it becomes a transport only.

Personally, I like seperates (preamp/processor and seperate power amps), even though that runs the cost to $,$$$.

John

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum. Well you've made a good start by selecting Klipsch as your preferred choice. You may want to repost your question up in the "Home Theater" area of the forum.

You should consider the room size and whether you'll use them primarily for Movies or Music. Also state if you prefer seperates (Preamp/amps) or an all in one receiver to process the signals from a DVD player. Most units begin with the standard 5.1, which included 2 Front Main Speakers, a Center and 2 rears, these are the five in a 5.1 setup. The .1 is the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel, you'll need a very capable Subwoofer to handle those Low Frequency Effects in DVD titles and low bass notes contained on some music titles.

As I said, repost the question with room size, any specific concerns and planned expenditure. You'll get some very good assistance.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Dollar figures

New

Reference series $6,000.00+

Synergy $750.00 TO $1,200.00

Heritage $14,000.00

Used, E-bay

Reference $4000.00+

Synergy $600.00 TO $1,000.00

HERITAGE $3,500.00 TO $6,000.00

Classic, $3,500.00 TO $6000.00

These figures are with the outlaw 1050 and a $200.00 DVD only!

You could spend more or less depending on the system!

Chorus 1 Front

Chorus 1 Rear

Academy center

KLF-C7 rear center

Outlaw 1050 HT reciever

Zenith DVD player

Harman Kardon DVD player

Sony trinitron flatscreen TV

RS-32s doing nothing now!! Ill take $350.00 for them?

All used except for the TV and the DVD

And the RS-32s!

And the sub is a modified Crate 18inch, with the rp-3 amp!

$7,689.00 in this!

Just an idea get ready to invest!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 05-12-2002 at 05:20 PM