Upgrading from Denon 2500BTCI to Denon 3800BDCI bluray is it worth upgrading Opinions Please

jordan122345

So I currently have a Denon 2500 BTCI blu ray transport as my Blu Ray player.I found a Denon 3800 BDCI Blu Ray player locally for a great deal.So the question is, is it worth the upgrade between the 2 players.It sounds like the 3800 is a very high end machine.The good thing is I think I could sell my 2500 for the same price I will be paying for the 3800.Thanks very much as always

Jordan,

I was dead set on getting a Denon 3800 or it's cousin the Marantz BD8002 until I just stumbled upon my Oppo 83.

From my understanding, the 3800/8002 are outstanding players for video upscaling(Realta chip) and have a rock solid build quality(22.8 lbs). The 2-channel analog section is said to rival many standalone CD players in the $1500.00 range.

The good thing is I think I could sell my 2500 for the same price I will be paying for the 3800.

Being that the 2500 is only a transport, I say sell it and buy the 3800 if it would be a wash. Even if you did not recoupe all of the $$$, the 3800 is a more versatile piece of gear that would enhance your CD playback as a bonus feature.

Bill

• Moderators

Have I ever mentioned that I love this forum.

Well I guess if you love us that much, we need to at least try and like you. [:P]

With each purchase, you are getting closer to building one killer system. Patience grasshopper...patience. [;)]

• Moderators

But this is getting expensive for sure.

It does. Maybe that's why I'm so cheap and am so patient to wait for those deals.

My HT and 2ch system would have cost roughly $28,500 retail but because I chose to build it over the past 3 years and wait patiently for those deals and often purchased quality used gear and even bartered for some items, I have only $6265.32 out of pocket invested in it my entire RF-83 HT and RF-7 2ch setup (including the false wall, furniture, speakers, paint, curtains, electronics etc).

Is $6000 a lot of money? To me it is but I think most would agree that $6000 for a reference dedicated HT and a reference 2ch setup is pretty darn cheap.

By no means do I say that to brag, but to once again encourage you to BE PATIENT. LOL. By nature, I'm a deal hunter...ok steal hunter...tight wad, cheap skate...whatever you want to label me, I'm ok with that. I just know I work hard for my money and the less I spend on my hobby, the more I have to give and the more I have to spend on my family.

I've enjoyed watching your system slowly come together. To me, the fun of searching and aquiring deals was just as fun as the finished product (if there ever is such a thing). [:D]

Well I think I did pretty good on this one.Got a almost perfect Denon 3800 BDCI with box,manual,remote,and everything else that comes with it when new for $280 and about $15 in gas.

Jordan,

IMO, $295.00 for a $1900.00(msrp) rock solid quality built BD player is a great deal.

Now, how much for the 2500?[:D]

Bill

I have only $6265.32 out of pocket invested in it my entire RF-83 HT and RF-7 2ch setup (including the false wall, furniture, speakers, paint, curtains, electronics etc).

Please be a little more specifil! [:)] lol awesome system YM for such a minimal investment...........

• Moderators

Please be a little more specifil! Smile lol awesome system YM for such a minimal investment...........

It's all about timing, being super patient waiting for the right deal, saving up cash, a craigslist app on my phone, bartering, and just plain being cheap and looking for those rediculous deals on Craigslist.

The only two items in my HT that I paid full retail were was my Panny projector ($2500), my Elite Cinescope Screen $560, paint and lighting. Much of my system were great deals (ex. $200 for my first Velodyne HGS15 sub that retailed for $2500) and even a few barter deals where I designed a custom website in exchange for gear.