Advice on New Yamaha Receiver to Replace my RX-V1

Robbll

It finally died...my Yamaha RX-V1 bit the dust...probably from all the lightening hits we have here in Florida. I want to replace and/or upgrade my receiver to an equal or better quality receiver to that of the RX-V1 -- I am open to suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!

Robb

My current setup is as follows:

Yamaha RXV-1 (dead)

4 Klipsch RF-7s

2 Klipsch RC-7s

2 Klipsch RS-7s

1 Klipsch RSW-15

2 Klipsch LaScalas (spares)

• Moderators

Hi Robb. Welcome to the fourms!

You have a nice setup for speakers. A few questions before we can make suggestions on receivers...

1) What is your budget?

2) Where in Florida are you? You might be my neighbor. [:D]

3) What percentage do you watch movies vs listen to music?

Your RX-V1 is an older unit. Are you wanting to move towards a receiver with HDMI to take advantage of the new HD Audio formats?

Definitely suggest buying a receiver with Preouts so down the road, you can add an external amp to take your system to a whole new level.

Youthman, thank you for the quick response and thank you for the kind words about my speakers. The La Scalas are 1985 Vintage, a pair I had wanted for years and could finally afford them back then! Not so today...I'm sorry to say, but am glad I have them.

1. Budget: up to $3,000

2. Orlando area

3. 50/50 music:movies (only high def TV or Blue Ray)

Yes, in response to the age of my RX-V1...a real powerhouse in the day, clean as Kleenex, but very outdated for sure. I definately want HDMI capabilities especially for Apple TV and the like.

I agree with you about the pre-outs as well! I have taken a liking to the Yamaha RX-A3010 - AVENTAGE but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks again!

• Moderators

Thank you for the kind words regarding my HT.

1. Budget: up to $3,000

With that budget, have you considered going separates (Pre/Pro and Amp)?

2. Orlando area

If you are ever driving past Plant City from Orlando, you are welcome to stop by for a visit. Willland is near you as well. He's in Kissimmee. Great guy and has LOTS of Klipsch gear from Reference to Heritage.

3. 50/50 music:movies (only high def TV or Blue Ray)

My experience with my previous Yamaha RX-V1800 was it was great for HT but only ok for 2ch. To me, Yamaha isn't very "musical". Because of that, I was considering either the Harman Kardon AVR3600 Receiver or the Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro. Since they were both $499, I opted for the dedicated Pre/Pro.

Others can suggest other specific models. I have not heard the Aventage line and was very pleased with my Yamaha, it just did not excel in 2ch so I went a different direction.

More welcomes...I had an Aventage a1000, it was the most disappointing avr I ever bought besides the new Marantz, equally bad.I wish I could give you some good advice as to which units are best but I'm not too impressed with any (hdmi) I've had except Harman Kardon.For the budget you have I would look at separates, audition Rotel, if less the HK 3650 and a nice amp.YMMV

RobbII,

With that setup, you need some power. May I suggest a quality pre/pro and an outboard amp.

I am very fond of NAD gear and find them very musical and powerful.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1327871197&/NAD-T175HD-Preamp/Processor-wi

Or a NAD receiver. This will power your speakers well enough on it's own but does have preouts if you want to add an amp later.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1326740830&/NAD-T775-HD-Receiver-with-warr

You are welcome to come by and listen to my RF-63 system with my NAD receiver and Acurus amps. Send me a PM if your able.

Bill

• Moderators

I am very fond of NAD gear and find them very musical and powerful.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1327871197&/NAD-T175HD-Preamp/Processor-wi

Or a NAD receiver. This will power your speakers well enough on it's own but does have preouts if you want to add an amp later.

Bill, it looks like you have posted the same link twice.

My goodness....I used to think I had a decent setup until I read all of these replies! I think raising four kids has certainly tamed my budget for high-dollar stereo gear.

Many, many thanks to all for the suggestions...I'm going to check them all out and will report back with my choice of receiver.

Thank you all again for the help, you have certainly opened my eyes!

Robb

• Moderators

I used to think I had a decent setup until I read all of these replies!

Truth is you have an awesome setup. Your receiver is just several technologies behind (not a bad thing). Dolby Digital and DTS are still great formats but if you are replacing your receiver anyways, you might as well move forward with technology. I'm not one that will suggest spending $1000 or more on a receiver because the technology is outdated far to quickly. I like buying quality used gear that is still current, but not necessarily the latest and greatest. Saves a lot of money that way.

Lot of great affordable options out there.

I used to think I had a decent setup until I read all of these replies!

Truth is you have an awesome setup. Your receiver is just several technologies behind (not a bad thing). Dolby Digital and DTS are still great formats but if you are replacing your receiver anyways, you might as well move forward with technology. I'm not one that will suggest spending $1000 or more on a receiver because the technology is outdated far to quickly. I like buying quality used gear that is still current, but not necessarily the latest and greatest. Saves a lot of money that way.

Lot of great affordable options out there.

i repeat it over and over, but it's because i'm wear my experience like a merit badge.

had a 3 year old IBM laptop + dock. Traded it for a $2000 (msrp) 2yr old Marantz receiver via craigslist - The guy was an AV installer and needed a computer with serial connectivity. He pulled the receiver out of a customers house and couldn't re-use it.

I used that receiver for about a year and picked up a nice Carver m-1.0t for like $200.

Got the bug for an upgrade - i wanted support for later HDMI revisions, HD audio, etc - but didn't have the cash for a new receiver. So I once again turned to craigslist and found a guy with a 2yr old denon 3808ci for $900 ($1600 msrp) that said he was selling so he could give the "marantz sound" a try. I offered to trade him my marantz for his denon. He wanted cash on top, so I threw in my Carver amp (wish I had kept it), and he finally agreed to the swap. I'm a happy camper with no plans for an upgrade in the near future - and he threw my two old items up on craigslist a couple weeks later...

So what's the secret? Perceived value. Find what you're want to buy and identify items in your home that you really don't use or want, but still have some inherent value. Take a bunch of nice pictures and put them up for sale. It's assumed that people will try to talk you down on price, so put a price up there that is higher than you're lowest $ value, but not so high that people will shrug you off as unreasonable. Then go to craigslist and search for it.. every single posting that you find, send the person an e-mail as ask if they are willing to trade for Item(s) X,Y,Z and copy in the links of your own item listings. It gets repetetive, but after sending out 25+ trade requests you'll get a bunch of no's, a few maybe's, and a yes. Every time.

You'll haggle with the yes responders, stick to your guns, argue the value of your items, and meet at a Starbucks to swap the items (public, always well lit, and impossible to NOT find one in the middle of each person).

that's how you go from a crappy hand me down laptop to a relevant $1600 receiver. I've used this method for camera gear, gaming systems, audio gear, a herman miller ergo chair (the fancy ones that are ubiquitous with cash-rich startups), and so on. my only problem now is that i've traded away all the stuff I didn't use or care for, and am now stuck with things I use regularly and enjoy!