rega p3 tonearm

WORKHOUSE

I just purchased a Rega P3-24 wtih Elys 2 tonearm to run with a McIntosh MA6100 an 2 vintage Klipsch Heresy speakers. Pulled in and was ready to go but noticed that all records halfway through began to skip. Is the tonearm set incorrectly or perhaps the compass setting by needledoctor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to speak to me like a school child cause I'm ready to be taught step by step. Mighty, Mighty thanks!

I don't know much about that tone arm, but I would see if there is a free printable compass. This is what I did and copied it to a piece of oak paper. Also see what the weight needs to be on the end of the tone arm for the cartridge/stylus should be. I would think if it is all set up properly you should have no problems.

Thanks for the response. I purchased the Rega direct so the tonearm with Elys cartridge was already mounted. It came with a compass and all seems to check out. I guess I need some weight training because other forums suggest that the directions may not be perfect. If you hear something would love to learn

Catching and skipping in just one place doesn't sound good to me. Check your tracking weight. It could skip if it's too light. Does the arm "catch" around that point if you swing it in the air across the platter? Maybe the arm bearing is defective.

Check if your turntable is level. The Stereophile article noted that you have to level the 'table. It might skip if it's tilted to the right when looking at it from the front. But I don't know if that could explain skipping in just one place.

Also check the anti-skate setting if it has one. It could pull the arm outward if set too high, possibly causing it to skip.

If you bought it from Needle Doctor, I would talk with them.

you're going to need a set up... they do not come set up even from the factory, and even if they were set up prior to shipping, you need to check it.

very basic things you need to do is set up the cart and it's alignment in the head and then check for tonearm balance(there are youtube videos fro tone arm balance),then you need to set your anti-skating(this is probably your major issue)

those are the absolute basics prior to even trying to playing a record.

VTA isn't your issue, that's a stock cartridge and stock tone arm.

the rega anti-skating mechanism is a little weird(but it works)... it's the little bar under the main tonearm, it slides out. do all your initial measurements with everything set at zero specially the cart preload.

Get down at eye level and check out the little curved arm that raises and lowers for cueing. Sometimes it's set too high and actually lifts the arm ever so slightly as the arm travels across the record. Push on it from above to be sure it's returning to its lowest position. It's adjustable with a tiny metric allen setscrew and can be lowered. As you're looking at the arm from a sideways vantage point, is it parallel with the record? Lots of people like it to be slightly tail down (arm mounting portion lower than needle) and this cures sound being overly bright. The Rega is a good, almost fuss-free arm. Good luck and Have Fun!

tubav