Denon 4311 vs Onkyo 5008

JasonJCarney

For a while now I have been looking at the 3008 and 5008. I pretty much know all about them. I've owned 4 onkyo's including an onkyo 3007 so I know what they sound like. I have never owned or heard a Denon. Since the 4311 has multi eq XT 32 (that's what I want) and it's price is the same as the 5008 i am intrested. Any thoughts on the Denon or how it compares to the onkyo's would be appreciated. I'm gonna do some research but I kinda wanted some first hand info. Thanks

I still use my Onkyo 805 in the living room. When I was building my theater, I know I wanted 11.2 and the 4311 is the only game in town for that. At any rate, my opinion after hearing various Onkyos and Denons is that Denons are GENERALLY and SUBJECTIVELY smoother and less harsh TO ME. (Sometimes you have to emphasize stuff or people get the wrong idea).

I love both of them, for for shear features, the 4311 is in a different ballpark (than the 805...I'm sure the 5008 shares similiar features with the 4311, I just don't know what they are first hand.) I can tell you this....XT32 and dual sub calibration makes all the difference in my theater.

I currently have an Onkyo 3008. I've picked up a 4311 and its waiting for me at home. I'll get to play with it after Christmas. I'll let you know. I do know that I wasn't real happy going from the Denon 4810 to the Onkyo 3008. It was accecptable, but not great. I'm looking forward to hearing a Denon again.

The thing that scares me a little is that for $1400 I can get the top of the line onkyo. But the $1400 Denon is not their flagship model. I wonder if I'm getting less for the money?

Imo, there's a good chance that Denon is going to phase out the 48XX series AVRs. Fwiw, their top end with the better power supplies were their THX ULTRA II models AVR-48XX, 53XX, 58XX and with the former they stopped that tradition...Denon seemed to keep the advanced features of the higher end units in the the AVR-4311ci, compared to the AVR-4810 which, both seem to be great units.

The thing that scares me a little is that for $1400 I can get the top of the line onkyo. But the $1400 Denon is not their flagship model. I wonder if I'm getting less for the money?

Yep, you're gettin' less for the money.Onkyo is the bang for the buck leader no doubt period.That don't mean they're the best sounding, at least for music.I consider them the least bang for buck in music but they own HT.