HK430 troubles

ericross3

Does anyone know a reputable HK repairman? Either on here or elsewhere. I've got some crackling going on once the amp gets warmed up. I would love to hear it run properly with my Heresys. From the little I've played the combo it sounded as good or better than the hype.

Some questions- is the crackling from both channels, or just one? Is it with all sources, including the tuner, or just one source? Have you verified that your speaker connections are sound electrically? Does jiggling the speaker wires or your interconnects change the crackling? If you operate the switches does that cause, or change the crackling in any way. And what about rotating the volume, balance, and tone controls? Does that cause or change things in any way?

I'm going to be getting the 430 out in the next few days and I'll really get a better and more thorough description of what's going on. It's been a while since I've had her out. The recent infatuation with the Heresys has made wanna get it right again. I'll take a look at her soon and give you a better list of symptoms. I appreciate any help you'll be able to give me in the diagnosis/fixing of this fine amp. Thank you.

Dennis posted symptoms on a 430 before, and which caps needed to be replaced for each. Since I have two, I saved the info... put it in a safe place. So safe I can't find it. [:(] I actually think I have it on one of my older computers, but it's packed away right now. If I find the info, I'll ost it.

Bruce

Here's the info from Dennis:

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage
(that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

The service manual is available online.

Bruce