Ghost Train Orchestra-Unique Recording for a Change

Mallette

At least as far as I know. Please let me know if there are others. Major treat if you are one of the few of us who love the old recordings you can only get from ratty boxes in the corner of yer basic total junk store, the ones that require washing in the kitchen sink with Ivory and warm water so they quit feeling downright gritty. Especially those from the 20's that contain the ACTUAL analog of the the musicians with dynamics controled by just how loud they blowed and how close they were to the horn.

Ghost Train. My mind envisions the NYCRR with a Baldwin locomotive faaaaWOOSHING through the night with whistle screaming, and a band blaring raw, formative jazz that tastes like moonshine burning your throat O, so GOOD! And women dressed as they never have since partying like there is no tomorrow.

Is this CD that good? I'd like to hear other's thoughts. In my case, I find one major thing in its favor to start: Recordings faithful to the style of the pre-crash 20's are scarce as hen's teeth. I can't get much happier than dropping on my original Kid Ory "Muskrat Ramble" and the fact that the recording is nearly 90 years old simply adds to the wonder of the moment. OTOH, it is extraordinary to hear this band faithfully (with some innovation I am reasonably sure the Ghosts will find acceptable) recreate these performance in beautifully engineered digital. I have a few qualms with the technique, and some of you know my bias for two ribbon mikes placed where my ears want to be, but this is good stuff even though it's apparent to me they didn't go this route. The music itself is incredibly complex at times and I've little doubt many period listeners found themselves as confused as we are later listening to Thelonious Monk and later Miles, but it grows on you if you listen intently.

Worth a listen if you related to any of the above.

Dave

Rivernuggets, i'd be interested in hearing about your avatar.

It's a key chain I picked up.....somewhere. It reminds me of a cherished Commodore 64 game called Ultima IV.

A big difference from Cherokee heritage. [:S]

Give me some time to find it and see if there is any credit to the 'artist'.

Dave,

Finally got a chance to listen to some of the cut off Carpenter's website. Really nice! Even on my desktop system (Onkyo receiever and JBL Control 25s), the placement of the instruments is super. Love this music.

Bruce

It's a key chain I picked up.....somewhere. It reminds me of a cherished Commodore 64 game called Ultima IV.

A big difference from Cherokee heritage. Tongue Tied

Give me some time to find it and see if there is any credit to the 'artist'.

Don't bother. I think you will find it long in the public domain. I didn't say it was Cherokee, just neighbors. The tohono o'odham Indians of Arizona. "U'ki'ut'l," the little man emeging from the maze of lifes choices was known to many tribes...including the Cherokee. Quite useful as an audiophile totem as it deals with how correct choices lead to harmony. Actually, could it REALLY symbolize a perfect 360 degree radiator???

Dave

post-9494-13819685018192_thumb.gif

Thanks for the information. I like this image a lot more now.

could it REALLY symbolize a perfect 360 degree radiator???

Haha, they were beyond their time!

Quite useful as an audiophile totem as it deals with how correct choices lead to harmony.

Very cool! I realize more and more how true that is. It even applies to the way we receive people and events happening around us.

Dave,

Finally got a chance to listen to some of the cut off Carpenter's website. Really nice! Even on my desktop system (Onkyo receiever and JBL Control 25s), the placement of the instruments is super. Love this music.

Bruce

Really something, isn't it? We really abandoned this style, perhaps because it's so complex to so many ears, including mine. Ragtime had a big comeback with Joplin, et al, and the big bands never totally went away...but the stuff in the middle, from the 20's to the mid-30's really just faded away except on vintage 78s. While there were reissues of records and CDs of many great original recordings, almost nobody has formed groups to play it live and unless you have a connection to the stuff somehow it's hard for one to appreciate the sound of worn 78s without a lot of time and some money spent on it. Even then, one has to have a bit of built in sound processing in the brain. I've gotten to the point that some of these sound better to me than some modern recordings! OTOH, hearing it in hifi stereo is a whole 'nother experience.

I'd love to hear these guys live...must be quite a party. It would definitely go better with some white lightning!

Dave