Bowers & Wilkins>Energy>Klipsch?????

cdub5

I'll throw in two thoughts.

First, for on-line purchases, be aware of authorized sellers and e-tailers which are not authorized by Klipsch to sell their products. If you want a Klipsch warranty, from what I've read an unauthorized e-tailer is a dead end. Bears some research.

Second, my main home theater system is not the highest Klipsch model line but I chose it based on listening to other systems like Infinity and similar brands several years ago. The Klipsch were much more efficient and brighter. Just as a data point, if a used set of Reference line speakers pops up near you, don't turn up your nose because they are used. You may find that even listening to a set of used speakers which have been well cared for and setup in a room with care for placement and soundstage can be a positive factor in you speaker selection. And, a killer deal on a system that someone has enjoyed and is now selling may ease your budget considerations. Also, for the right price, used may be sellable without taking a bath down the road. Just a thought.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.

All good advice above. Here's my opinion on:

The 52s make a good foundation in a home theater and can really increase the enjoyment of a movie experience. Great sound and nice detail. The RC-52 center is, well a nice center channel, but it is severly lacking when compared to the RC-62. If you put an RC-62 in your system with RF-52s, you will feel like you are really lacking!

The 62s are a BIG step up from the 52s (similar to the RC-62 versus the RC-52). The bass and mid-bass is much clearer and the highs are much cleaner. If you do any 2-channel stereo listening, I would highly recommend nothing smaller than the RF-62 in the Reference line. Going from the RF-62 to the RF-82 was only a slight step up for me (maybe even lateral), but at the time I did already have a decent sub. If you are going to go sub-less, the 82s do a fantastic job. Very heavy bass, probably the best of any speaker under $1500 or maybe $2500. You won't even think you need a sub when you hook them up, that is until you get a sub. My one complaint about the 82s versus the 62s (this is version I) was that the 62s had better mid-range detail, and if you are going to go w/o a center channel for a while, that is something to consider.

I went used on a pair of RF82s, not the II version. Paid $425 plus an orbital sander [;)]. Still have a big smile on my face just thinking about them(can only think about them because I am in the UK right now[:@]. Got a CL deal and went to demo them. I, like many above, would encourage you to look at used speakers. Guy I got mine from said he bought them in 2010 from an authorized dealer. Doesn't matter much because buying a used pair from some guy voids the warranty anyway. I'm sure someone on here lives close to you and may let you have a listen. Also, while I am happy with the bass production from the 82s, I am going subwoofer next. The clarity and efficiency of the speakers makes me feel this is definitely the route to go(plus 0 WAF for a RC-64!).

So I've been doing a lot of reading and i'm now curious if my receiver is good enough for these speakers. Every day i'm inching closer to getting the 82s, and a rc 62. As mentioned earlier, I have a entry level Yamaha rxv61. I know about the mixed opinions with Yamaha, and their paring with klipsch, i'm just wondering of it can stand up with these speakers. I know it will not be the optimal situation, but getting these speakers will make it impossible for me to change receiver. The receiver cost me $400. I'm assuming there is no pre amp/power amp combo that would work in this price range, that would be better than what I currently have? I plan on using the klipsch's in the front and the little Yamaha speakers I have as surrounds, and the Yamaha sub until I can upgrade, so that's what I'll need to power. Would it be a waste to get a cheap power amp and use it with my receiver. I don't have the money right know to go and get a emotiva right now.

your yahama will run the klipsch speakers no issue. One way to conserve power would be to not run your rear surrounds and just run a front stage. You can also change the crossover on your receiver to a higher cutoff like 40hz-50hz or even higher if you get a subwoofer. By doing this you arent sucking the higher amounts of power needed to produce the lowers frequencies. Buying a pre/pro and amp combo can come later and you should be able to hold out until then. Regretting you didnt get the 82's may happen if you get the smaller speakers. If you want to stay more financially concious, buy the rf-62's as they have a solid bass foundation like the 82's and get the rc-62 center channel. IMO, the small savings in that bundle isnt worth it andyoud be btter off getting the 82's.

• Moderators

IMO, the small savings in that bundle isnt worth it andyoud be btter off getting the 82's.

Sub is right on with his advice. I would get the 82's and try it out with your system. If you feel your system is lacking, keep your eye out on Craigslist. Lots of great deals out there. One of my Velodyne subs I have in my system I paid $200 for (15" with 1250 watt amp). It was a $2500 speaker when new. Others can share tons of testimonies very similar to mine. To me, the journey that I have been on with my system has been just as enjoyable as if I had a "finished system". You don't have to have it all at one time. The 82/62 combo will provide you with a rock solid front soundstage. The yamaha you have will drive them just fine. I've used a Harman Kardon AVR55 (55 watts x 5), a Onkyo TS-SR703 (100 watts x 7) and a Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 watts x 7) and all of them drove my Klipsch RF-83's, RC-64 with no problem. The only receive I felt was lacking was the Harman Kardon. To me, it sounded the best out of those three for 2ch listening but when I cranked it to really high volumes, the sound would become harsh and forced. Not smoothe and natural. I say that to say this, unless you are cranking your receiver to extremes, you will be fine for now.

From what I can see online, your current receiver does not have Amp Preouts so in order to add an external amp, you would need to get a different receiver. I'm a huge fan of buying quality used gear that is a few years old. You can get "older" units super cheap and end up with much more bang for your buck. If you need extra HDMI inputs, buy a separate HDMI Switch from Monoprice.

Lastly, I would put more money into my speakers than I would electronics. Your speakers will still be around 25 years down the road. Your new receiver is lucky to get 5 - 10 before the technology changes completely.

I agree with Sub and Youth (as usual). Klipsch, unlike Bowers and Wilkins, don't require much power. Here's a quick run down of the numbers:

Reference volume (Really, really loud) is 85 db continuous at 1 meter from the speaker with peaks at 105 db. The RF-82 IIs are sensitive to 98 db...that's 98 db with 1 watt at 1 meter away. Couple 2 speakers and you get an increase to 101 db at 1 meter. If you sit 4 meters from your speaker, that is equivalent to 89 db with only 1 watt. Each time you double your watts, you gain 3 db...so 2 watts = 92, 4 = 95, 8 = 98, 16 = 101, 32 = 104. Your receiver will produce 90 watts to 2 channels, so it won't have any trouble making you VERY uncomfortable while listening. FYI, I run two WF-35s (97 db sensitivity) off of a 38 watt per channel amp. See this thread for sensitivity and distance calcs.: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/157850.aspx

There's a little more to amps and speakers than just watts and sensitivity, but you get the idea. Your amp will be work just fine, and in fact, I would highly recommend Klipsch speakers with only 90 watts to spare. B&Ws, for instance, wouldn't get anywhere near reference volume with only 90 watts. The RF-62s have a sensitivity of 97, so it's roughly equivalent to the 82s...no worries!

I would go with at least the 82II'S and fill in as you can from there otherwise as stated here you may find yourself constantly upgrading to get to where you want to be (it is an addiction and may happen anyway).Just letting you know from experiance that it is a lot cheaper in the long run, and way easier on the happy wife meter.

The reason I ask about other options is because I still have about 13 days left in a 30 day return window. Don't want to miss an opportunity to set myself up better. Again,I thank you all for your advice. I have learned an incredible amount over the last couple Weeks