Cherries Jubilee (HT Build Thread)

Dandoyen

Dan...

I've got a build question...

It looks to me as though the Cherry panel on front actually extends out from the otherwise 'plane' of the speaker, as though perhaps, it was added on to a panel under it which itself might be "on" the plane of the speaker?

When I look at my speakers, take the base plate where it exits the bass bin. Although there is a cut back angle there, it's one continuous line of parts, there is not a 3/4" extension butting out where the center part is.

Can you provide a specific picture to that?

The point to realize here is, if yours has a panel "attached to the front" of the substructure (for cosmetic purposes) then your build and any others like it would strike me as being more like the original design as per PWK.

It would allow the attachment of 3/4" thick grills on the side without having to inset them since they'd have this raised panel to butt up against.

I don't have my camera here with me so I'll root for some pictures to explain in case the words above don't do it.

If what I'm seeing is accurate, I personally find it very interesting for future Jubilee buyers.... as it seems to me the speaker bass bin is closer to the "pretty" unit that we've all seen PWK standing next to.

Here's one of the prototypes with the raised panel. You can see a grill on the far side and how it sat on top/front of the speaker. It was triangle shaped.

On the near side of the speaker, you can sort of see a line from the edge of the pretty front panel, straight back and that area would represent the triangle of the top of the grill and the grill of course, ran down the front, butting up to the raised panel.

This unit ALSO had a 3/4" raised (extended) lip on the base portion where the grill could sit. This extended base portion would have been flush with the pretty front panel.

This panel is not like the one I saw. This IS a 3/4" beauty panel

When I built the Tuba HT LP I selected 12mm and 6mm ie is 1/2" and 1/4" plywood Hardwood Exterior. This finish is less prone to warping when cut and I thought this a wise choice since I had not built a speaker since 1975 "Before LaScala" haha and my wood working skills maybe needed to get the rust out. The Tuba was initially going to be built into the wall so covered in Gyprock and only the mouth open on 2 sides at the floor in the corner. The request changed and it was to be painted, then it was to be laminated in a additional layer of 6mm ply on the 2 exposed surfaces using the 45degree router head to create the corner for an impeccable surface without 50 filled countersunk screw holes. Friends are permitted to allow their wife to change her mind. haha. After it was installed she asked if it could be laid on it's side and turned into a side table. I asked did they want draws fitted or have a space with a floating glass or timber top. Now it's back to the original plan, lol.

The point is that an attractive front panel can be created for any pair of jubs by selecting an nice piece of timber and attaching it to the front. If you used silicone sealer to make the attachment you could have a variety of front panels and change them to match with the seasons if you wanted to. You could also stretch the speaker fabric over the entire front of the speaker wrapping it around the cabinet and then placing your colour coordinated front panel over the top of the fabric. The front panel could then be a piece of any exotic timber of any shape as the speaker cloth would created a uniform background.

The Jubilee LF is a virtual canvas for artistic expression. Now consider how this aspect could enhance the wife friendly aspects. How many do you need in your house for your displaying your art works. [;)]

The Khorn also incorporates this special feature.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious as to how you did the above. Danley is not selling the kits any longer.......

Correct, kits are no longer for sale; however, this process with Danley was started almost a year ago (July 2011), when I was originally supposed to be getting home from Afghanistan (before I was extended). Then, I was tasked to deploy AGAIN on 2 months rest, so no point in getting 2nd sub at that point, though I told Danley it was always my intention to eventually include a second. Danley assured me that they would hold a kit in reserve for me, and the boys (and girls) in Gainesville held true to their word. Kit being assembled for shipping from the plant in Candler, NC now. Expected to ship out July 9th. I've been told by Scott Barker, Danley GM, this is the last kit, and it's been waiting for me for awhile now. [:)]

They honor their promises, they'd get my business again any time. I LOVE my first DTS-10. Can't wait to include the 2nd to round it all out.

Dandy,

Lord thanks for the explinatuion.....you sure didn't have to get that detailed. You are right, Danley is/are GREAT people to deal with as they are totally customer oriented.and go the extra few steps to work with you. I have had nothing but great experiences with them.....

Good Luck, stay safe and hurry home, We all appeciate your Service, wish the feelings were the same when I came home, many years ago. I was called everything you could imagine, but Heroric.......Thank You's were substituted with anger, for serving

We all appeciate your Service, wish the feelings were the same when I came home, many years ago. I was called everything you could imagine, but Heroric.......

Anyone that has served in our military is a hero in my book. Regardless if they saw action or guarded our borders, I salute you!

A big thanks to all from Albuquerque, New Mexico!

• Moderators

Anyone that has served in our military is a hero in my book. Regardless if they saw action or guarded our borders, I salute you!

A big thanks to all from Albuquerque, New Mexico!

I agree %100, and Thanks from Mississippi also. [Y]

• 1 month later...

Congratulations......!

Jubes somewhere around 750 Hz (passive) and the Danleys at 80 Hz....YMMV....>! [:D]

I'm also in the process of changing everything around as I am moving stuff to a new room, so I may have an update on this. Please enjoy and do not be afraid to experiment, as that is what it is all about....! I promise you will love the Jubes and the Danley's together, as I think they were made for each other....!