Taking down black laquer finish to raw oak

The guy that I will be buying them from is the 2nd owner I think. I do know that they were originally bought from the only high end audio store here in Victoria a long time ago. I can only speculate whether these LaScalas came with a painted or wood finish.

However the guy who is selling them is involved in pro audio so he mounted the LaScalas on castors and was going to cover them in that gray carpeting used on pro speakers. That could be part of the reason why they were painted white.

Kevin

Cluless,

I personally prefer a nice highland tartan on my LaScalas to carpet... but I might be persuaded to consider a nice Persian rug pattern...NO PAISLIES, PLEASE!!

I guess one could paint LaScalas a nice interior latex pastel color...and strategically place some nice Disney appliques...be great for the lullabies in the nursery. Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Here's a preliminary update on my project

The Heresey II's arrived with speaker stands-(surprise) so, I was able to take one and experiment

Went to HD and bought pints of refinisher---Acetone and lacquer thinner and used each product on three of the stand's four sides----the result was that lacquer thinner is the WINNER---(refinisher a close second--acetone---forget it)----the lacquer thinner with 0000 wool took the black lacquer finish off like throwing butter in a frying pan---amazingly easy . Then sanded the one side and applied my stain of choice----result was a PERFECT match to my cabinet---PERFECT.

Last night prepped the three H-II's with masking tape and plastic protection---by end of this weekend--I'll have the finished products and will then post some pics before and after as well as my step by step guide to this process.

By the way--based on how easily the thinner removed the Klipsch finish-----the factory finish is worthless (as far as protection and durability)---the finish must be a one step spray which includes the black pigment and the lacquer---I can't see how that finish could possibly stand the test of time

---thank you Klipsch !

More Later---Dave

Glad to hear the laquer thinner did the trick...Like I said...the one shot coats on the black speakers just doesn't get a chance to work itself into the wood grain like a brushed on urethane would. Lucky for you that it was just a one shot fast-drying black laquer they used!! If it had been clear laquer, it wouldn't have been much harder to get it off...except that sealer is normally used on the clear laquered ones first!!

When I worked there, the only speakers that ever spent much time in the paint room were those made for employees... because they got the "royal treatment" of many coats of sealer and clear laquer...it just isn't cost effective to have speaker cabinets sitting around in a paint room for days at a time when you have orders to fill.

I am most interested in knowing whether you find imperfections in the oak veneer...or serious mismatching of it, once you get the finish off the speakers....When I worked there, they seldom took a nice set of oak veneered ones and shot em with black laquer!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDR- This one is for you-

Whatever happened to natural varnish? - Not spar varnish- used for boats. But the stuff that used to be sold by minwax and red-devil and other retailers. The predecessor to polyurethane..that actually breathed...you know what I mean...Ok set a beer on the surface - or hell, spill alchohol on it...a white ring would show up but would later disappear as the wood beneath the finish dried.

I have a lovely drop leaf table that is suffering from the polyurethane syndrome of attracting every mote of pollen and dust at the point when I am applying the final coat of finish...I use 3-4 coats of varnish on top surfaces, and this will be the 3rd time I have had to back off, once to bare wood, and once to a secondary coat. If the 3rd time doesn't work cwm3.gif maybe I will have to flip it upside down and use it as a planter

This message has been edited by cluless on 05-30-2002 at 08:04 PM

HBDR

Having never seen a "good" Klipsch veneer from the ones I have----not sure if mine are "good" or not.

However, having now applied the stain/sealer coat I am completely happy with the result thus far.

Today will be the first of 3 coats of Minwax Satin Poly

Plan to have these finished by Sunday night and will post some pics on Monday

I am not overly concerned about the veneer's perfection as again, these are being incorporated into and oak HT cab and two bookcases (the surrounds) so, I am looking for the overall "look" / color as the intent is to "blend" them into the decor. As the stain I have used is identical as used on the cabs---the color IS a perfect match.

Have this Q for you, however, I think I will want to convert the black grill cloth to brown on atleast two of these three (possibly on all 5 I now own).

Is it feasible to remove the black cloth and replace with brown? and what technic would I use if possible.

If not possible---what material is the grill "backing" made of (could just recreate them myself and get some cloth from Klipsch or wherever)

Tks Dave

The grille cloth panels are either a very hard stiff cardboard or a thin masonite...depending on when they were made. You can probably order the panels from Klipsch with no grille cloth on them...and, if you want a color of cloth that Klipsch has, then you can order them with that on it...they are fastened with velcro tabs to the speaker fronts...if they don't have brown cloth for grilles, then ask them where you might find some or call up radio shack or a car speaker place that builds systems for cars and ask them where you can find some...they may have some on hand, too!

The only important qualification for the cloth for speaker grilles is that it should have good "sonic transparency"...so that it doesn't "muffle" the sound from the speakers much. Some types of cloth have better "sonic transparency" than others!! I prefer the sound with no grilles at all...but something should cover any woofer to provide some protectiion for it, at least! Grilles tend to do that at a reasonable cost, so they are used for both that reason and to hide the drivers beneath them...part of the WAF factor...LOL!

Good luck!

------------------

helluva thread

i'm bookmarking this baby

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

You can also get the grill cloth from Klipsch for 20.00 a yard. I've bought the cane cloth that is an exact match to my Cornies for the 80s. Also, here is a tip. When you are done refinishing your speakers get some butchers wax and rub it into the finish and then buff it off. You will get the smotthest finish possible. If you use a black paint then I wouldn't apply the wax. The wax is for real or venered surfaces.

Trader

Just ordered some brown cloth from Klipsch and intend to take off the black cloth I have on the spkr grills and replace with the brown cloth

What technique did you use to stretch the cloth and apply it to the "grill" material??

Tks Dave

HBD

They no longer sell the brown cloth grills--only the brown cloth!

I told them that they offer the new H-II's with brown cloth grills BUT since they couldn't find a part # for it---they couldn't sell it to me!!

So, I gave up and just ordered the cloth

How would you go about changing the black to brown cloth on the grills??

Tks Dave

I guess such is the way when the people are not in touch with what is available and have to use a friggen part number in order to take an order...LOL!...makes ya wonder!!

Well...Just glue it good along one edge of the back of the panel and let the glue set up...then stretch it over to other side and glue and clamp it...same for other sides...superglue will probably work ok on that...the gel type would probably be better...but it takes longer for it to set-up than regular liquid-type.

Cloth doesn't have to be stretched but a bit...just enough to take wrinkles out!

------------------

I can now receive private messages