Finished subwoofer project.

longdrive03

Built this for a friend who is doing research on the effectsof subsonic bass on the human body. He needed something that would do 13HZ. It' s not small (25.5" cube with 1.5" riser and removable roller dolly). 1.5" thick walls all around (3/4" mdf inner and 3/4" baltic birch outer). Glued, clamped and screwed.

Uses one CSS 12" sub and two CSS 12" PR's. Pushing it with a Behringer EP2000 amp. My friend has a signal generator program on his laptop that allows him to switch between various frequencies (17hz to 19Hz). I could hear 19hz but not 3Hz (cone was moving).

The pr's have 900 grams of washers attached to a built in bolt with wing nut. Woofer has 350w handling with max of 500. Computer shows it will do 99 db at 13Hz with 100watt input with woofer moving 6mm and both pr's moving 19mm (out of 38mm xmax).

First time I'm built with these and they are impressive. Need to get them inside (when my wife isn't home) to see how they do. 40HZ was loud and clear off my cheapo Sony garage receiver (65 wpc). He wanted them finished in truck bed liner to protect the cabinets. I added plastic corner protectors and elevated removable metal grills to prevent damage during transport to his seminars.

Posted Image

technical details would make an interesting read. It looks well made. There are certainly countless design options for a sub. I'm thinking of a direct radiating sub as well using some isobaric principals only becuase space is tight, drivers are available and power is not shortage.

Update on sub. We hooked it up in my empty living room 13 x

13ft 12 ft ceiling last night. Couldn't get loud output and couldn't figure out

what was wrong. My friend was using his laptop going through a Creative Labs DAC

into the amp and we just weren't get much output. SPL meter showing around 70 db

at full gain (32) on Behringer EP2000.

Thought is was impedance match

between dac and amp. Tonight ran my cd player with my cd test disc rather than

the signal generator from the laptop. Ran it into a Carver HT preamp and ran out

the sub output by rca cable into an rca to 1/4" phono plug connector into

EP2000.

Wowsers!!!!!!!!!! Hold on to your seat. At 20 hz (lowest test

tone on cd) and a 14 gain (9 oclock) on amp this baby put out the bass. at 18 (10:30)

it was rocking. Can't test the below 20 signal but per modeling at 100 w input

13 hz should be 99db (as well as 20 Hz output). My friend was a little

disappointed last night and I was too. My wife kept saying she had to leave the

house so her heart wouldn't stop!!!

Will do some spl levels this

weekend. So far I really like this combo. The video of the 20hz movement is

really neat.