Maybe this should be in Technical...

Mallette

but I am going with this bunch due to the overall knowledge base here.

I've just replaced the mids in my church's Allen organ and moved them much closer to the opening in the attic. Sound improvement is clearly notable.

Now, I am thinking I need to seal the speakers in the attic as they are just sitting on a piece of plywood in the opening. Question is do you think it would help to build the enclosure as a false corner rather than just boxing it in?

Dave

THis has Tigerman's name all over it.

That's what I thought and he also has Khorns! I sent him an email, but I don't remember if he had a "gig" tonight or not. I know he had an afternoon rehearsal, but that's all I remember! [:S]

Dennie

THis has Tigerman's name all over it.

That's what I thought and he also has Khorns! I sent him an email, but I don't remember if he had a "gig" tonight or not. I know he had an afternoon rehearsal, but that's all I remember! Tongue Tied

Dennie

He said earlier that he has a rehersal tonight....

Hello Dave....... Gary here, AKA Tigerman...

Would it be possible for you to forward some photos of this arrangement? I need to see what it is you are wanting to do before I can comment.. Allen 'mids', is that a complete speaker system? I own a large Allen of 54 stops and SEVEN channels here at home, the speakers are ALL three way with a big 15" at the bottom, a 5" midrange and a dome tweeter... So, they are full range cabinets in themselves...

Stay in touch, and give me a little more info..

Thanks,

Gary

Okies, here is a picture to make it more clear. The question is whether there is anything to be gained by creating a "mouth" rather than simply enclosing the speakers in the attic space.

At the moment, they are just sitting on a piece of plywood placed on the attic floor beams with speaker cloth in front. I've moved them as close to the front as possible, but it seems logical we'd get better projection and bass by walling them off from the attic.

As to the mids, the speakers are as you describe and those I replaced were the Danish 5" drivers which had deteriorating surrounds.

I've also toyed with the idea of building a horn loaded sub for these and possibly adding a Hautptwerke driven third keyboard...but that's another story.

Right now I am most concerned with the enclosure issue.

Dave

post-9494-13819685468194_thumb.jpg

Little more info for Gary, and I am also interested in others thoughts as well.

The two speakers are identical and Allen standard issue. The instrument is the Allen Digital...just that simple as it was, I am told, their first all digital instrument. I do not know what year.

As electrics go, not too bad. I am still not fully satisfied with the bass, though the Allen tech indicates it is balanced. Compared to a "real" pipe organ, it doesn't have the bottom it should, IMHO. Hence my interest in closing the chamber to minimize losses to the attic space and better focus the output into the sanctuary. If that doesn't work, then I am move on to the horn loaded Tuba or Cinema option.

Dave

Sorry Dave for the delay..... I have been busy with this and that, getting my theater up and running etc. Anyway, your room enclosure looks like a very good idea to me for sound focus. I am thinking the bass should improve as well... Does this instrument have any 32' pedal stops on it ? Mine has two of them, and I added a sizable subwoofer to mine to handle those freqs. The stock Allen 3-ways just don't get down as low...

Stay in touch, and let me know what you decide to do...

.......Gary

Thanks, Gary. It has two 32's. I think I'll go with both suggestions. While the bottom is "ballanced" to some degree, it lacks that sense of authority and foundation one expects from a solidly present 32'. I'll likely go with building a sub at some point, but you certainly convince me to go ahead and use the horn mouth encliosure to start.

Dave

Great Dave! [Y] Keep me informed on how that goes ok ? Thanks... Oh, you may find this interesting if you want to try and make some great low end for that organ...

I built a pretty cool 'hot water heater' subwoofer from a DIY website on the net. They are from concrete formers. Most ALL are made to be ported and tuned, and usually very tall, but make a HUGE low frequency output! I bucked the system and decided to try and make one that is SEALED. So, I bought what I thought would be one heck of a high power driver, got all the specs and went about it..

The driver is from Kicker (for cars), is SQUARE and is equal to more radiating surface then a round 18" ! It can coast along with an input of 800 watts, and higher peaks to 1200+ .... My cylinder is 24" diam, by 25" high, and meets the internal 6' cu. ft. space the driver needs to work (its max actually).. I spent some big $$$ at a local wood shop to cut my top and bottom baffles, and then a thrid which is a beautifully stained top. The outside is dark brown carpet. It stands on 3" wood feet. Stuffed with 5 brand new hollofill pillows etc..

I run this with a little Carver power amp (M400) which is a 400 watt amp in mono. It is driven by a Behringer pro xover which is set at 18 Hz. I needed it to simply not make a sound UNTIL something ran into that range.

Ran some tests with a signal generator and a digital SPL meter. On the FAR end of a room (15' away from the sub), I managed to get a C weighted scale reading of 109 db at 14.8 Hz !! Mind you, the speaker is not anywhere near its rated power with this amp. At any rate, I would be happy to dig up some photos and send them along to you, it was a neat little project, and I tried to be attentive and professional with the design and contruction. It is supposed to be used with the Allen when we get the room setup, but it DID serve well in my home theater at the prevous home...

New theater uses my beloved Velodyne F1500r which handles CCCC of a pedal bourdon with ease.

Ok, I have gone on enough here. Write back when you get a moment should you want to continue to chat.

All best,

Gary