Klipsch La Scala build. Need some directions

rvrazvan

Hello everyone.

I will soon start building a pair of la scalas, and i need some advices. My goal is to use the cheapest drivers so this will take as little as possible time. The speakers will be driven by 6c33 SE monoblocks (4 of them) for a while (i will sell one of the pairs in the summer).

My project will fit between these lines:

Eminence apt 200 for the top, time alligned with the mid driver

Selenium dx-250 in an iwata horn;

Cheap eminence woofer in a ported la scala bass bin;

The crossover between the compression drivers and the cone will be active.

What i don't know....

-What type of crossover to use for the compression drivers?

-How much does the sound change when the tweeter is time aligned with the sqwaker? Should i go active for this part also?

-What are the cheapest options for the LF driver. I have my eyes on eminece delta 15 LFA and delta 15.

post-54396-13819685487772_thumb.jpg

If you go here:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

(opens in a new window)

you can get the Crites CW1526 woofer. It will be a better/perfect match for your bass bin and is only slightly higher in cost.

I use an APT150 on top of my LaScalas, with the APT150 driver and the K55 driver physically aligned. It improves the imaging tremendously. Probably more so than aligning the mid and bass, which you can only do with an active crossover with delay built in.

Below is a shot of my tweeter on top of one of the cabs.

Bruce

post-7149-13819685497886_thumb.jpg

Ok ok. La Scala Clones. My version.

I am not the type that credits or dicredits. I just like La Scalas and i can't afford them. And i love to diy.

Regarding Crites woofer.

I want to stick to local sources. I live in Romania.

Regartind the eminence tweeter. I bought them allready and i have started to improve them. A little sanding at first, then i removed the ferrofluid. I like it's tone better now.

It is around 100 euros(someone in Poland bought a pair). Enought to make me look for something else....

I cand get a much better quality product if i avoid shipping cost.

Has anyone here used the selenium driver - d305?

It goes from 400hz to 9k. The Selenium dealer in Romania has two on stock(they are not produced anymore)

It is around 100 euros(someone in Poland bought a pair). Enought to make me look for something else....
I can get a much better quality product if i avoid shipping cost.

It goes from 400hz to 9k. The Selenium dealer in Romania has two on stock(they are not produced anymore)

Not to belabor the point, but you would be very hard pressed to get a more perfect woofer for a LaScala than the ones from Bob. They are made by Eminence for the LS, Cornwall and KHorn.

Selenium makes some good drivers, but I haven't found one which had close enough T/S parameters to work well in the LS.

Bruce

Marvel is correct. La Scalas sound right with La Scala woofers, and don't sound right with anything else.

The La Scala is a premium speaker. Trying to build some clones with the cheapest drivers you can find won't give you La Scalas, just some LS-shaped speakers that may or may not sound okay. Some people have also tried more expensive woofers and found they don't work as well as the stock ones, which are designed for those cabinets.

Build them right, and you'll be happy with them for years.

you can use a lot of drivers that appear to mathamatically correct based on frequency response, spl, fs, impedeance, etc....but after the assembly...if you ask for help on things you are hearing...no one will be able to help you since you only have what you built. not to say it won;;t work, but it just won't be a predictable out come. there were a few dicsussions on the selenium drivers a while back, the plots were close, but there wasn't a mad rush to try them.

Thanks!

They are my design; love the japanese amps. I am stuck right now because i can't find covers for the transformers. But i will soon get back ar work!.

Bdw. i can send you the plans i think. But they are incomplete. I still have alot of parts design :D.

The schematic is from glass audio magazine. Borbely 6c33 SET.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pro-sound/eminence-emi-1550-15-high-efficiency-sub/

Will this sub work in a la scala bass bin?

If you Google "Transformer Potting Covers" or "Tube Amplifier Transformer Covers", you should be able to find all that you would ever want to know about the covers.

Hope this helps........

Oh...JMO; A cheap La Scala copy will always be seen as a CHEAP copy and will not sound anything like a real La Scala. Save yourself some dissapointment and buy the speakers that are reccomended and are designed for the purpose. There is a reason that what has been speced, is used. Please do not come back on here and say it doesn't sound good and blame the design.......words of advice...!

I would never dare to do such a thing!

I want to build this particular bass enclosure just because i respect the work of PWK :).

This speaker will see alot of expensive drivers in the future, but as a student i don't afford to pay to much for shipping.

I might eventually buy Crites woofer before the end of the year. Who knows ?!

But now i want something accesible that can do a good job in this enclosure.

So, if someone wants to help, i would suggest that a good start would be for him to understand what i want to find: A replacement woofer for la scala bass bin that i cand buy localy.

You could contact Bert Doppenberg in the Netherlands, and ask if he knows of an inexpensive woofer for the LaScala bass cabinet. He is the designer of the Oris horn, and knows a lot of folks with this cabinet. He has a super high priced woofer now, but from what I have heard, is a nice fellow and may be able to point you in a direction that would serve your needs and wants at this point.

bert@bd-design.nl

Bruce

• 3 months later...

I'm late seeing this but it's amazing how some would rather scold than try and be more helpful.

Part of the DIY is the fun of learning and trying on your own and what one can afford! If you get the basics down fairly well, you can be successful.

I know from experience, I've built a few of own speakers and also have several Klipsch speakers and they sound great when comparing them to

my Klipsch speakers.

The Eminence Delta 15LFA woofer models nearly identicle to the K-33 woofer plot curves in WinISD if you model it, if WinISD is correct, then it

should be a great choice. I'll find out soon enough because I might give them a try in an upcoming DIY project.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you on your DIY adventure! :)

The Eminence Delta 15LFA woofer models nearly identicle to the K-33 woofer plot curves in WinISD if you model it, if WinISD is correct, then it

should be a great choice.

You would be replacing a 4 ohm woofer with different T/S parameters with an 8 ohm. Sure it will work, but it won't be optimal. Dennis has mentioned some drivers you could use, but sometimes other things need to be changed. I think some of the other posters were only saying that it would be hard to troubleshoot issues and help when the parts aren't the same.

The OP wants to know what else will work. Others MAY work and he will be happy with them.

It's not a pop-in replacement for the 4ohm K-33 woofer for Klipsch speakers, but if you change the crossover for an 8-ohm woofer for new builds and the K-33 and Delta15LF are both a 56oz magnet woofer and the specs come fairly close. It may or may not be optimal, there is only one way to find out, to try it. I've read some saying they had good results who've said they've tried it for their clones but some of us aren't experts or have testing equipment and only go by their ears of what sounds good to them so there's no proof how well it can directly compare between those two woofers, the plot curves come pretty darn close if WinISD is as accurate as some say! It's the only eminence woofer that comes as close to the plot curves of the K-33 so far for the retail versions of Eminence I've punched into WinISD.

I would always suggest the K-33 from Klipsch to be dead on specs or Crites woofer offerings (I have both) but that is out of what he is willing to spend/afford at this time in his life with the high shipping cost to his country but I suggested it because he is building so he can easily design the crossover to accommodate for the 8-ohm woofer. Many have said that they do not hear a difference between the 4ohm and 8ohm woofer. I do hear a slight difference, but it's hard to.

I do understand what you are trying to get across Marvel, and all good advice. When doing research before a project, it's always very good to get different opinions and learn from what others have tried, or is how I try to go about it for myself to get great ideas and save myself time if others found something didn't work.

I'll report back how the Delta LF compares to the K-33 in my cornwalls when I get that project going. I've already used the Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2 in my King Cornwalls I had built a few months back from a local speaker co. I still own all my Klipsch speakers so I can do direct compares with them.

Thanks.

Ok, I'm just realizing that after going back and re-reading, they used the Delta 15LF in Cornwall Clones, not LaScala. I don't see any used in the LaScala so being horn loaded, it might not be as forgiving as a bass reflex for specs being slightly different.