My electronics...don't laugh!

Just a little picture of my rack...

OKAY so it's not High-End stuff to be sure. But I think for the amount of cash it still sounds pretty good. That little amp is a real MONSTER, never heard electric bass or battery sound so dynamic an real than with this amp.

From top to bottom:

MUSICAL FIDELITY "Typhoon" power amp (2 x 45 WRMS)

ROTEL RC980BX preamp

KENWOOD DP7090 CD player (four Burr Brown PCM 1702 chips on each channel)

MARANTZ USA "Model 120" stereo tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

QED Qudos speaker cable

.......Klipsch (of course!) LaScala

Shock-late,

Sometimes simple is good! This looks simple but highly effective. It's not always necessary to have your system be able to "brew your coffee in the morning" to be a success. I don't doubt this system's sonic abilities at all.

I like those old Marantz tuners too - old, big, and heavy. If it's overbuilt, I'm interestedSmile.gif

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

I used to have a Sansui reciever that looked a lot like that Marantz. Also had a Marantz integrated helping out in the early days of biamping some JBL L-300's Summits. I think it was an 1150D model. Can't believe I was using a Bogen DB230 tube amp for the LF on those things!

Hey, I like the designer cinder block!!

Oh the days....

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-17-2002 at 10:03 AM

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

Shock-late,

Sometimes simple is good! This looks simple but highly effective. It's not always necessary to have your system be able to "brew your coffee in the morning" to be a success. I don't doubt this system's sonic abilities at all.

I like those old Marantz tuners too - old, big, and heavy. If it's overbuilt, I'm interested
Smile.gif

YEAH, BUT IF IT BREWS THE COFFEE FOR YOU THERE IS MORE TIME FOR LISTENING, LOL.

Thanks for your comments, guys!

I'm very happy with this set-up. In fact, I'm wondering what a more expensive amp would offer me, more power maybe... But I plan to buy a second Typhoon and use them as monoblocs, 150 watts/channel. It could be fun!

I'll post picts of the inside of this amp; it's built like it has to deliver 2 times more power!

The tuner came from my grandfather, who died before my birth in 1977. he was mad about italian cars and hi-fi. This is the only piece of equipment my family kept after he died... a pity, because I saw some picts, and he had a great system with monobloc tube amps and massive speakers.

I believe he's living back trough me! I'm the only other person in the family to be mad about hi-fi. I wouldn't sell this tuner, even if it reaches high prices here in belgium (seen same model in a shop last month: 450$).

quote:

Originally posted by tblasing:

I used to have a Sansui reciever that looked a lot like that Marantz. Also had a Marantz integrated helping out in the early days of biamping some JBL L-300's Summits. I think it was an 1150D model. Can't believe I was using a Bogen DB230 tube amp for the LF on those things!

Hey, I like the designer cinder block!!

Oh the days....

huh...I'm usually speaking french...what's a "designer cinder block"?

cwm30.gif

Shock-Late-

I think tblasing was just kidding you about the use of the concrete block shelf supports. Is there any one of us in this forum who hasn't used concrete blocks in some manner in our stereo systems at some time (past or present)? Shelf suports, speaker stands..very versatile.

Your system looks good. Musical Fidelity usually has some good specs (I've never had the chance to listen to one of their products). Driving LaScalas through good cables should yeild some very pleasing sound.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

Yea, sorry, I was only yokin'! My first system support was a plywood box I made in about a half-hour the basement out of scraps. Then I went big time (oh, boy!) it was a Gusdorf 5460 cabinet that some customer returned at my store and couldn't figure out how to put it together! My God it's a box for Christ sake. Anyway, the weight of my Carver MX-150 Receiver was bowing the shelf pretty bad (but never fell!). And the rest of the system was getting an upgrade as well so I ordered a StudioTech U48 (series I) at half price from the factory. That thing alone weighs 160lbs.! The girlfriend bought the matching TV stand. I don't have the heart to tell her that I really want an HGTV in a few years. Hey maybe they'll have more table-top 16:9 sets by then.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-23-2002 at 10:07 AM

quote:

Originally posted by cc1091:

Shock-Late-

I think tblasing was just kidding you about the use of the concrete block shelf supports. Is there any one of us in this forum who hasn't used concrete blocks in some manner in our stereo systems at some time (past or present)? Shelf suports, speaker stands..very versatile.

Your system looks good. Musical Fidelity usually has some good specs (I've never had the chance to listen to one of their products). Driving LaScalas through good cables should yeild some very pleasing sound.

Actually, I found that in my room (wich has a wooden floor), these concrete blocks help to damp the vibrations coming from the LaScalas who are only 3 feet right and left from the equipment rack. With a simple wooden rack i just cannot listen to music at high volumes... the Cd players would vibrate too much, not to mention the amps.

Note that i also put a slab of granit on top of my CD player for the same reasons. Results: better stereo image and bass more tight at high volumes. Cheap but effective!!

One day I hope I'll have enough money to buy a Townshend Audio seismic rack...

Frans

This message has been edited by Shock-Late on 05-25-2002 at 07:16 AM