Looking for rich, full 2.0 setup for HT and music. Bookshelf equivalent of the RF-5s?

bondheli

I am basically looking for a pair of speakers that would be great for a home theater 2.0 PCM setup (good dialog and rich, full sound even at low volume). This is a smaller room and bass is not really a priority, but a rich, full, crystal clear sound even at low volume is the goal. They also need to be excellent for rich music; violin, piano, acoustical guitar ect. I want live music to make me feel like I'm there. Did I say rich enough?[:D]

I've had a Quintet III 5.1 setup paired with a KSW-10 sub and a Sony DA5200ES receiver. I used the auto calibration with the microphone, but the setup never really wowed me.

This is what I'm looking for in a smaller environment:

What would be the equivalent of the RF-5s and what would you recommend for my goals?

thanks

• Moderators

IMO, if you are trying to get the equivalent of RF-5's in a bookshelf, you will need to be looking for a pair of RB-75's, RB-81's or Palladiums.

I would not expect the quintets to wow anyone and definitely would not even come close to the sound quality of the RF-5's.

Maybe look for RB-5's or RB-35's, even the RB-61's sound great to me and have a descent amount of bass for a 6.5" driver.

Thanks for the reply. I've been seeing a lot on here that the major difference between the RB-6*s and the RB-8*s is the bass. Would you say that RB-61s are up there with the RB-81s in terms of sound quality, but just lacking the exra bass, or is there a distinct difference?

Edit; I'm just looking into the RB-5's and thats looking like it might be the way to go. I take it the RB-5's are similar to the RF-5's vs RF-45's in that the V1s are an older vintage and higher quality than something like an RB-35?

IMO, if you are trying to get the equivalent of RF-5's in a bookshelf, you will need to be looking for a pair of RB-75's, RB-81's or Palladiums.

I would not expect the quintets to wow anyone and definitely would not even come close to the sound quality of the RF-5's.

Maybe look for RB-5's or RB-35's, even the RB-61's sound great to me and have a descent amount of bass for a 6.5" driver.

i second this notion, but then again i have a love affair with my long lost rf-5's. i have rb-5's too and love em. cant go wrong and youd do yourself a good deed to find em used and save money too.

I'd also consider Heresy speakers.

Not sure they fit the "bookshelf" footprint.

Maybe. Many people do actually use them as bookshelves, or as surround sound speakers mounted on the wall. At 21 inches tall (with the riser removed) and 13 inches deep, it's actually quite similar in size to the RB-81, though it's 6 inches wider. It's an in-between speaker that, IMO, should be considered in this instance due to it's musicality.

I'd also consider Heresy speakers.

Not sure they fit the "bookshelf" footprint.

Maybe. Many people do actually use them as bookshelves, or as surround sound speakers mounted on the wall. At 21 inches tall (with the riser removed) and 13 inches deep, it's actually quite similar in size to the RB-81, though it's 6 inches wider. It's an in-between speaker that, IMO, should be considered in this instance due to it's musicality.

I second that, I would deff use the heresys as a computer setup, would be top notch!

This is a smaller room and bass is not really a priority, but a rich, full, crystal clear sound even at low volume is the goal. They also need to be excellent for rich music; violin, piano, acoustical guitar ect.

IMO, if full, rich sound is your goal, then bass should have some importance in your system. Just to be clear, no bookshelf speaker Klipsch makes, and precious few of its floorstanders can do justice to a piano. I'm not saying you should run out and buy RF-7s or a monster subwoofer, but I can guarantee there is a difference in the richness and fullness of the sound between a system that struggles to reach 40Hz and a system that can can play 25Hz with authority.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/Images/Audiotopics/fChart.gif