Monster Power Condition/Filter Question

rpmccly

I have a Monster Power HTS1600 that has stage 2 v2.1 conditioners. My picture is nice but I have a friend that has the same conditioner and his picture is outstanding. Its like the people are popping out, so real that you think its fake (and no its not 3D). I have a Panasonic plasma and he has Samsung LCD. He had a professional company do the install, I did my install. We both have the HTS 1600, use the same cable company, not sure what cables he is using but I was using an older model Monster 1000 series HDMI's. I've been frustrated that his HD is that much better than mine and convinced myself that the HDMI's couldn't handle the bit rate/bandwidth so just upgraded to Monster M1000HD from my Marantz SR6005 to the TV and got Monster M2000 for all sources to the Marantz. The colors seem to be a little but better (definately not worth the $$$).

My question - Is it worth Upgrading my HTS1600 to a HDP1800 (still stage 2 v2.1 but is made for "HD", not sure that means anything if its still stage 2) or an HTS5100 (stage 4 filters)? OR what do you guys think? I would think its not the TV but hey who knows, maybe its a good excuse to buy a new TV. BUT I want to avoid that conclusion for now so lets say thats not a solution for now.

So whats the difference here, we both have 1080P. He has a 120Hz LCD Samsung and I have a 480Hz Plasma Panasonic. Don't know exact contrast ratios but thats not it.Plasma is supposed to have better colors and obvious faster refresh rates.Is there a special feature to look for when buying a TV that makes it more "lifelike"?

On a side note, how much better is the Stage 2 vs Stage 4 Monster conditioners for Audio and Video?

Plasma and LCD will have noticeable differences. LCD has a definite 'pop' to the picture, plasma has been described as having a more film-like picture. You might consider having your TV professionally calibrated.

I use a power conditioner but I don't honestly think you'll notice any difference in 'upgrading' your power conditioner.

Plasma and LCD will have noticeable differences. LCD has a definite 'pop' to the picture, plasma has been described as having a more film-like picture. You might consider having your TV professionally calibrated.
I use a power conditioner but I don't honestly think you'll notice any difference in 'upgrading' your power conditioner.

Things like viewing distance and angle, room size, and ambient light also will make for dramatic differences in percieved picture quality. The best thing to do, however, is to get that thing calibrated. Pro calibration is expensive, but not as expensive as Monster Cables and surge protectors. Also, with tons of effort and a calibration disc, it can usually be done by you the viewer. I suck at it and have to have my buddy over to help, but a beer later it's done and we have a good time.

Honestly, I didn't know calibrating the TV was an option. What is involved in this calibration and where can I learn how to do it? I tend to be a do it yourselfer. I'd plan on trying it myself first and if it didn't work out, I'd hire someone so is anyone good/fair priced in Indianapolis?

Also, his LCD is in his living room and my Plasma is in the basement so really mine is best case! Plus most viewing is dead on/"movie lighting"...again best case...crap!

power conditioners are great....for making stable power and protecting you from surges. To make your tv look 10 times better....not so much at all. YOu are definitly experiencing the differences in sets.

100% correct...calibration with software is a must for a great picture. Most grayscales are WAY off from the factory.

The Samsung has a feature called "AutoMotion Plus" It is supposed to cut down on motion blur durring fast scenes. I hate that feature. I shut it off when I see it. I want a movie to look like a movie. Not a person standing in front of a green screen! You won't notice it as much on a plasma (if the TV even has it).

THANK YOU!!! I've been waiting for so long to figure that out! This is exactly why I originally said I wanted to avoid the immediate solution that its the TV so I could find out WHY! Glad you were around and read the post!

Still wanting to calibrate mine though.