Amp/ Receiver Question

akdave

I've always been a dihard Yamaha fan. Well up until about 4 months ago. I too had just purchased your same set up (the 2 RF7 II's with the giant RC-64 II center and the RS-62 II surrounds) and wanted something a bit more powerful to push the reference system above what the my current Yamaha could do. Someone on this forum actually suggested the SC-57 to me and after about a week or reviewing and comparing to other similar models I made the obvious choice and purchased the Pioneer! It actually arrived before my reference system did so I was able to run my old Klipsch speakers for a few days and instantly saw a difference! I didn't know my old Klipsch speakers could sound any better but I was amazed by the quality. I didn't bother running through the MCACC because I was going to do it once my new set up arrived. Now I will honestly say that I'm still very much a Newbie to all of this and don't know a lot of the tech stuff but after having my complete setup for a few months now I can say that anyone will go deaf way before these speakers start to distort even the slightest. The sound is accurate and powerful and even when set to "large" the bass is outstanding. Being able to control the reciever off my iphone is fun too although you can really only do the basics. ie: volume, balance, bass levels, EQ, ect. but it's still neat and amazing that in todays world we can do these things. Also its fun to show off to my friends. Not that the system itself isn't enough as it is! So I currently am running a 5.2 system with both the SW-113 sub as well as the THX Ultra2 Sub and amp. I can be heard from a block away easy and I do feel bad for my neighbors on those late Friday nights when my boys are over and we got the bass turned up! Anyways, I do apologize for the length of this post especially because I didn't include any key tech facts and what not that your probably looking for. I just got excited when I saw another audiophile looking for the best! My reccomendation is to pull the trigger on the SC-57 because if you don't you'll spend the rest of your days wondering just what it would have been like to have it.

I think that the Pio elite's ability to deliver clean output to normal speakers is without question.

However, The RF-7's are not normal speakers. They dip down below 3 ohms. If you were going to cross them over at 80hz, then the Elite would probably be fine. However these are RF 7's, you didn't buy them to treat them like a satellite speaker. You want that in your face fidelity that the big woofers have to offer. So I would suggest crossing them over down at 40hz or so.

If you want to play them fairly loud, close to reference level, I don't think the Elite can deliver on it's own without some distortion on peaks.

My suggestion: Consider a receiver that does lower frequency EQ, such as the Onkyo 709. It is stout enough to drive your surrounds. It has Audessey XT, so it will EQ your low frequency and subwoofer. It also can be had for under $500, leaving you with much more budget for some good amps.

I wouldn't settle for "HiFi" seperates. Go for something with some balls. The Crown XLS Drivecore amps are stable down to 2 ohms! Buying two of them will give you 4 channels of amplification. You can power your 2 fronts, a center, and have a spare channel to run a DIY subwoofer if you ever decide to build something like a Tuba HT or DTS 10.

As for subwoofer choice, my preference would be a Rythmik sub, either the F15 or FV15, or perhaps 2 FV12's. These are known for digging deep, down below 20hz but are also known to be some of the "fastest" subs around so they get great reviews from music listeners.

Warning: I own neither the RF 7 nor the Pioneer Elite. Just spouting off my opinion.

I wonder why so many people want sub's that go below 20 Hz. Most musical instruments stop around 40 Hz with few exceptions, for example a pipe organ. For HT effect the best frequency of the clashes and bang is 25-40 Hz. Lower than 25 Hz you can feel more in your bones. To really get more from a sub, it is the amp rating that will really add more umph? Not taking into account ported vs sealed, ect. Pioneer Elite avr's will try to give everything a flat response, so if you do not feel you have enough bass after running the MCACC, crank up the subs gain somewhere between 50-75%. If anything, with my system I am trying to cut bass, lol.

MCACC doesn't do Subwoofer EQ. This means that some frequencies could be too hot and some could be too low, and there could be variances from seat to seat.

while you can't hear a sub 20hz frequency, a note at below 20hz with lots of spl will certainly give you an interesting sensation. It is more feeling than hearing.

You know you have a good sub when it makes your vision blurry and you feel like you can't breath. I have never heard a sub in a home that can get as loud as a massive amp and ported box in a car.

Yeah I don't like that myself. I have friends that got into the "bass" scene and I never understood it. It doesnt sound good or feel good at all. The new thing is being able to blow out your front windshield or have it moving in and out with the bass. It's just out of control.