Noob here... need some advice on RF-3

sanjiyan69

I have a set of Synnergy F1/C1/S1 and I'm thinking about upgrading. Saw a set of RF-3 and looking at getting either RC-3 or RC-52. These speakers will be mated with Onkyo TX-NR809. These will be used for movies/music/gaming.

What do you guys think? They look really good spec-wise. I'm a complete noob when coming to audio stuff. Still trying to read up info on these.

Thanks guys.

Wayne

Wayne welcome to a fantastic forum. The RF3 was the speaker which got me thinking about Klipsch after decades of distraction. A dear late friend of mine wanted a pair when they came out and he did not have a car at the time so I drove him to get them and then home. We opened them up and connected them to a 12 watt EL34 SET amp and the speakers sounded astounding right out of the box. I was very impressed. I think that you will love the RF3 but chances are they won't be your last pair either. There are so many fantastic Klipsch to discover and to enjoy, Have fun go for it and son't stop. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you guys for the information/advice. I can't wait to get them! There are some deals out there on ebay but nothing really close to me (I'm in Michigan).

Hope I can find some that is close enough to me...

Psst, I'll tell ya a secret. The guy that I bought the RC7 & RS7's from in Grand Rapids (your city ;) last week, has a pair of RF5's that he wanted to sell me too. They're black and he told me that they had some scratching on the sides from moving (which is partially why I passed). He wanted 600 for them, no less. IMO a bit high for a non perfect pair (the other part of why I passed) but you may want them. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you his info.

I PM'd you. What cente/surround would go well with the RF-5? Would RC-64 be overkill?

I'll respond to it tonight when I get home. The RC-7 was made to be paired with these, some have used the RC-64 with RF-7's and have had good results but it's not really ideal.

I PM'd you. What cente/surround would go well with the RF-5? Would RC-64 be overkill?

I'll respond to it tonight when I get home. The RC-7 was made to be paired with these, some have used the RC-64 with RF-7's and have had good results but it's not really ideal.

I missed the question about the surrounds. The RS-7 would be best, closely followed by the RS-3's I suppose. Again, you could use something from the current reference line up and would probably still be pretty pleased. It all depends on your own likes. Current models like the rs-52II, rs-62II, rb-61II, rb-81II would be what your looking at. I wouldn't rule out older used speakers either though. Rb-5, rb-35, rb-75, rb-61, rb-81 would all fall somewhere between great and moderately suitable depending on personal tastes, when paired with RF-5's.

I dont know if you have any woodworking skills or access to a shop but if you do the best match would be to use another RF5 as a centre speaker. If you have space under your screen then you don't need to do a thing and you could use the other RF5 as a rear centre. If you don't have the space under your screen for a vertical RF5 then you could build a new horizontal box and rotate the horn 90 degrees and you would have the best possible centre channel.. Remember that you don't match your centre channel to your mains it's the other way around. You match your front left and right speakers to your centre channel.The vast majority of people simply stick in the centre which fits or that they have or which is as large as they want to use or or or.... The very best system will use matching loudspeakers all the way around. Good luck with your search. Best regards Moray James.

I did a google search for RC-7 and there isn't a whole lot out there. More RC-62/64 (which is still hell expensive or way too far from where Michigan.) Looks like I'll be pairing up my set slowly.

I dont know if you have any woodworking skills or access to a shop but
if you do the best match would be to use another RF5 as a centre
speaker. If you have space under your screen then you don't need to do a
thing and you could use the other RF5 as a rear centre. If you don't
have the space under your screen for a vertical RF5 then you could build
a new horizontal box and rotate the horn 90 degrees and you would have
the best possible centre channel.. Remember that you don't match your
centre channel to your mains it's the other way around. You match your
front left and right speakers to your centre channel.The vast majority
of people simply stick in the centre which fits or that they have or
which is as large as they want to use or or or.... The very best system
will use matching loudspeakers all the way around. Good luck with your
search. Best regards Moray James.

Good idea, but I have no room as my TV is on a TV credenza...no room. Plus I have no wood working skills :P

That's what I paid for my pair to a guy in northern Indy last year. I love them. Much better then any of the synergy series IMO. If they are in good condition I say go for it. You will be happy. I paired them with a RC62 which works great but am looking for a RC7 at a decent price then I will sell my RC62. Good Luck!

Adam

• Moderators

I would say not at that price unless you can negotiate him down a bit.

RC-3 are selling for around $100 - $130 on Ebay. That would put the RF-5's at $770 - $800. You can get RF-7's for that price or less.

Here are a few RF-5's I found on Craigslist

$200 - Link (cosmetic issues)

$700 - Link

$500 - Link (great condition)

$500 - Link (RF-5's, RC-35, R-5650 inwalls & Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver) This is a STEAL for that setup!

Here are a few RC-3's I found on Craigslist

$160 - Link (RC-3ii)

$125 - Link

$150 - Link (RC-3ii)

$125 - :Link

$150 - Link (RC-3ii)

Hope that helps.