Whitney Houston dead.

runninshine

I do like her version of the National Anthem even though the song itself in my opinion is one of the worst ever written.

How unpatriotic of you!

Well it is set to the tune of an old English drinking song and glorifies war. And is incredibly difficult to sing even by very good singers, or so I've been told. But other than those couple of things or because of them maybe it's the perfect choice? Tongue Tied

Before that English drinking song was used as the melody for "The Star Spangled Banner," it was the tune for "Adams and Liberty," a song that tips its hat to John Adams "Her (America's) pride is her Adams; Her laws are his choice, And shall flourish, till Liberty slumbers for ever." Agreed that it is difficult to sing, but the beat may be easy to write lyrics to ..... or maybe it is useful because it is sung out of tune whether the singers are drunk or sober.

It's not THAT hard to sing, but it has to be pitched correctly to be able to do it. This is hard when starting a capella, but singing it enough can help.

The largest detriment to singing it is being drunk or ignorant of the lyrics.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

The death of Whitney Houston is on the news several times a day every day since her death. She had one of the greatest voices in history.

Then, there are these guys...

Justin Allen 23

Brett Linley 29

Matthew Weikert 29

Justus Bartett 27

Dave Santos 21

Jesse Reed 26

Matthew Johnson 21

Zachary Fisher 24

Brandon King 23

Christopher Goeke 23

Sheldon Tate 27

These are all Marines that gave their lives for us last month.

There is no media for them; not even a mention of their names nor state flags flown at half mast..

I certainly don't like to hear of someone dying but she never impacted my life in any way. She had a lot, more than most and threw it away.

That is exactly, how I felt! Yes, it was sad, but I have no symphathy at all. I was never a fan, and she did not impact my life in any way at all. Yes, how the mighty have fallen..... I may had some symphathy if it was due to some tragic circumstance, such as what happened to John Lennon and even Darrell 'Dimebag' Abbott. Espcially with Darrell as being a fellow heavy metaller and having been in that club myself when I lived in Columbus, OH. But as it was with Witney, she pretty much brought it on herself. Yes, tragic as that may be, but I just have no symphathy for her.

As for Gilbert's comment - A-FRIGGEN-MEN! I was making the same comment to the guys I was with in Aspen (as that was where I was when this whole Witney Houston thing went down) - "They go on and on about Witney in the news, but what about all the guys that gave thier live over the past couple of months over in Afghanistan and Iraq?".

To be honost, I was way more choked up over the three ski patrolmen that gave thier lives there at Aspen Highlands when I saw that mounment that was dedicated to them then I could ever be over Witney Houston. I guess being a ski patrolman myself, I have a far more connection with those guys than I could ever have with Witney.