Fm Antenna

Guest Teresa Wright

Guest Teresa Wright

Hey, what do you all use to receive FM stations. My area is really bad for reception. Even the included cheapy antenna won't pick up my fav station and it's only 50miles away???

It might be a line-of-sight issue; one of my FM stations is less than 40 miles away, but a ridge a few hundred feet high is between me and them and the reception can be marginal. I use a Magnum Dynalab omni outdoor whip antenna (see below) mounted on a 2nd-floor soffit on my M-D tuner, but a only standard T-shape floppy on my Proton radio. To be honest, the floppy works about as well. Be sure your floppy is away from metal frames and appliances, and orient it perpendicular to the direction of the station.

Aren't you in SE Idaho? What location and where is the station? A lot of flat country near the Snake.

The Mag-Dynalab:

fm antenna - ST2

ST2 fm antenna

I had an FM reception problem at my GA house and used this antenna combined at amplifier with a DB-4 for my TV.

I again had issues when we got here andI bought the Dynalabs pictured above and it worked. About the same time, I bought a couple of Sony XDR-F1HD tuners and had these guys align and mod an inexpensive Sansui tuner in my son's system. Both the aligned cheap Sansui and the Sony tuners received the desired station using standard di-pole indoor without the external Dynalab Magnum antenna.

The Dyna is resting un-used in the attic.

If you need a tuner get the Sony used.

If you have a favorite tuner that no longer 'gets it' send it to Mike at RadioXtuners for an alignment

If your tuner works ok but need an antenna based on your location/geography get a good external FM antenna. If keeping it inconspicious is important, get the Dynalab. Try whatever you get first without amp but if you need an amp make sure that you place it as close to the antenna as possible. Amp further from antenna just amplifies the noise.

Guest Teresa Wright

Well, I have the Pioneer 1120k avr, bought new and never have been able to get much. My 20yr old Pioneer was great for reception, even without the antenna. Oh, well, I will look at an antenna as mentioned above. Thanks guys, helpful as usual [:D].

P S And yes, I am right by the "Mighty Snake". Between me and my station is flat land-heading south toward SLC. But, I'm only 1 1/2 hours from Jackson, which is high mountains between us-good stations too!!

I use an antennacraft FMSS omnidirectional FM antenna. My radio is in the basement and got 1 station before I added this antenna. Now I am decoding HD radio stations from 40 to 60 miles away and listening to analog FM stations from further away. I put my antenna about 40 feet up my antenna mast. I seperated it so my VHF/UHF transmitting antennas and my UHF repeater antennas don't interfere with it

Guest Teresa Wright

No, not at the moment-HA. Well I am from Star Valley, just down the Hoback from Jackson. As a teen we used to get the Jackson stations, sometimes. But, yes, beautiful country, lots to do and see.

I liked my first ST-2 antenna so well that I bought another one for my second set up. Picks up FM cleanly from 70-miles away from a slightly hilly area to the flatlands of Dayton, OH.

However...I didnt use the RG6 coax that came with it. I bought some RG6 Quad Shield with nothing between the antenna and the receiver.

I'll second USNRET's recommendation for the FM-6 outdoor antenna. The FM-6 has the proper element length and is designed for the FM band. I build and maintain radio stations for a living and have tried quite a few options. I live near the Utah / Idaho border and am about the same distance from the Salt Lake stations. I'm surrounded by mountains and had to point the FM-6 at the one spot where I could get reception - but it worked. I've since replaced the FM-6 with an APS-13 antenna, but that was $200 and is 17 feet long and is no longer available. It's probably the best FM antenna you could buy for home use and while better than the FM-6, it's not a huge difference. The FM-6 is cheap, relatively small, easy to install, and the best bang-for-your-buck antenna that I know of. 50 miles is still a ways away, but if you don't have too many mountains in the way (I'm pretty sure you may have, though), then you should get great results from it.

The most important, or at least one of the most important is to get whatever antenna you use UP high off the ground as possible. Even the best stick out there will not help you if the signals sail over its head. I dont know what methods you may have at your disposal to mount your antenna, but putting it up high and making it secure and away from possible tangles with electric lines is a must. I use a Marantz 2275 or 2325 most of the time for FM and I can tell a huge difference just going from the ground floor to the second floor of the house using the simple dipole that comes with most tuners! I live in a metro area but aim for a station about 50 miles out, so am battling multipath and adjacent channel interference, too.

I had an FM reception problem at my GA house and used this antenna combined at amplifier with a DB-4 for my TV.

I again had issues when we got here andI bought the Dynalabs pictured above and it worked. About the same time, I bought a couple of Sony XDR-F1HD tuners and had these guys align and mod an inexpensive Sansui tuner in my son's system. Both the aligned cheap Sansui and the Sony tuners received the desired station using standard di-pole indoor without the external Dynalab Magnum antenna.

The Dyna is resting un-used in the attic.

If you need a tuner get the Sony used.

If you have a favorite tuner that no longer 'gets it' send it to Mike at RadioXtuners for an alignment

If your tuner works ok but need an antenna based on your location/geography get a good external FM antenna. If keeping it inconspicious is important, get the Dynalab. Try whatever you get first without amp but if you need an amp make sure that you place it as close to the antenna as possible. Amp further from antenna just amplifies the noise.

Great information. It answers all of the questions I had regarding my Pioneer SX-800 FM stereo reception issues. Mono does well, but stereo not so well. I need an antenna, and a good alignment shop. I did not know the amplify noise bit. Great info!