New Home Theater Construction. Speaker Reccomendations

AaronR

Yeah, unfortunately that is what I thought the response may be. I am not familiar with the Danley clones for a riser, could you explain a little bit about those, or refer me to a place I can research them?

Anyone have any experience with the in walls I was speaking of? Complete waste of time or is there anyone out there happy with the in wall setup?

There are several here that have built SPUD (DTS-10) clones. I think dtel and PeteH have. The DTS-20 is the big brother. I believe if you google them, the plans shouldn't be too hard to come by. The subs were designed by Tom Danley to be used as risers in a HT. They are around a foot thick and wide and long so they can be laid on their sides. They're shaped somewhat like a book.

I have the r-5650-s in wall surrounds, I have had them about 3 years they are good quality and sound great in a poorly set up system. So in a good setup they should sound even better but that is in a surround configure with only 5.1. I have not herd the in wall fronts you are looking at, but I do have a buddy with a room about the size of yours if not bigger and he is running cheapo in walls that I think are even smaller then the Klipsch ones and his sounds pretty good. I don't think you would be disappointed with them but like CECAA said if you go with floor standing you won't have problems with your walls when and if you want to upgrade.

I went 50/50 I have floor standing speakers on the l/c/r and the in walls for surround maybe look into this with some nice reference fronts.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you. Good luck with your search, I think the danely clone for a riser would be a great idea.

Wow thank you all for your responses.

I want to keep the front of the theater with a clean look, and also keep expensive speakers out of reach of my neices and nefews. I think I would cry if a child knocked over a klipsch reference tower!

I am still leaning toward in wall speakers behind my screen but I am going to chalk out a layout that includes building out the front wall with a 'pocket' behind the screen large enough to accomodate full size towers.

• Moderators

Hi Aaron. You have a very ideal size room to work with. My dedicated HT is 13' x 19'. I wish it was just a tad wider and a few feet longer. Your room will easily accomodate two rows of three seating. You are wise going with 14" riser. I recommend 12" - 14" is perfect. You can check out the two links in my signature. I have LOTS of pics in my build thread and mostly just the finished product in the other link. My setup isn't perfect but if at all possible, I would recommend floorstanding speakers for many reasons.

Inwall have always been a compromise. It's simple physics. The inside of your wall can never be an "ideal" enclosure for a speaker. Inwalls are great when your wife says no big bulky speakers allowed. They are great when your seating is sitting up against the back wall. IMO, inwalls for a front soundstage are not ideal for a dedicated HT. You are looking for the WOW factor and I just don't believe you can get it with inwalls. Once you install them, what happens 6 years down the road when they die and you try to replace them but that model is no longer in production and you cannot find them used. The replacement speakers might have a smaller profile and now you have to replace drywall to make it work.

Klipsch floorstanding speakers will provide you with that wow factor. The RF series are absolutely amazing for HT. I would advise getting at least the RC-62. To my ears, the RC-52 just isn't that impressive. The RC-62 is a great speaker. I've heard the RF-82 system and it is a great system that gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

Don't forget to check your local Craigslist. You can get MUCH more speaker for your money. Just be sure to demo it before you buy. Since the advent of Craigslist and the economy dump, It's now become hard for me to pay full retail for anything. There are just too many great deals to be had.

I second everything that Youthman has said. First off, the inwall will never sound as good as a god pair of reference floorstanders to begin with. Once you put them behind an acousitically transparent screen, they will be even further behind in sound. But for me the biggest deal breaker would be the how the picture quality suffers from the holes in the screen. I have been to two very nice home theater stores in Dayton Ohio by where I live in the past 3 weeks and spent hours looking at and demoing everything they had and all of the acoustic screens had a soft look to them compared to the conventional screens. By using floorstanders you will get better sound and a better picture.