Academy vs. KLF-C7

iwillwalk

I have acess to an academy center.but have a c-7.how diffrent are they?I'm looking for a better match for my cornwalls. 1 Hersey would be cheaper &I think better...... if I can find one.

------------------

Main's-JVC

Center-Fisher

Suround's-Fisher

DVD Player-Panasonic

Receiver-Sony

TV-Philphs 30 inch

Sub-I pretend I have a 7 foot SVS tower of power like HornEd.

-In storage-(not for long)

1973 Walnut Cornwalls

198? Walnut Hersey II's

1999 Mahogany KLF-30's

1999 Mahogany KLF-C7

2001 Black Ash RB-5's

Receiver-Yamaha 995

DVD Player-Toshiba 3109

T.V.-Toshiba 52 inch

1 KSW 15

You want the Academy over a C-7. The Academy is the correct timbre match for the Cornwalls (as is the Heresy). I own an Academy with my Cornwall II's and it gives good results - although I have been entertaining the idea of a Belle as a center. The Academy is relatively compact and magnetically shielded (somewhat shielded, but not perfect).

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

By all means, iwillwalk, pick up the Academy if you can. You won't be sorry and can probably sell it for what you are likely to pay for it in a worse case scenario.

I used an Academy with my Cornwall I music system until my Khorns and Belle arrived. With that, the Cornwalls were moved to Side/Surrounds and the Academy does yeoman service as a 6.1 Rear Effects speaker.

KLF C7's are a better match for Legends... and really do well as Front Effects speakers in an all Legend HT featuring a KLF-30 Custom Center. cwm32.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

• 2 years later...

When I visited colterphoto's place, we did some heavy comparisons between the C7 and his cornwalls and in all honesty I could barely percieve a timbre difference. If anything, the differences had more to do with the center channel information always being different from the L + R.

For a speaker to be a perfect timbre match, you should be able to connect it to one of the main channels and not be able to percieve any difference between it and your normal mains, apart maybe from LF extension...Setting your mains to small during the test should however negate the LF factor.

Just out of curiousity, would a heresy be a better timbre match than an academy? Has nyone with an academy and heresy ever made the comparison?

The fact that so many people on the forum enjoy the academy leads me to believe that it's one of those things you will never notice until you've actually heard the improvement...and then you can never go back 2.gif

Okay Drwho, the bad part about comparing is the switching of wires, is there a way you can set up both speakers on say some type of switch box so you can go back and forth. If I tried to listen to a certain segment, by the time I got the wires changes I had forgotten what the other REALLY sounded like. The test I liked the most was the "is it playing test". Sitting in the sweet spot everything should sound like it is coming from the center, even with the center turned all the way up both (KLF and Academy)were "seamless"

I own an Academy and a Heresy...I don't think they sound alike...I did have a KLF-C7 and an Academy...I A-B'd them on the same channel through the same receiver and using the same GA wire...I didn't hear much different between the two...I thought I heard a BIT of difference in the Academy and by keeping the Academy...if I ever need cash, I could sell it for more...anyway, your mileage may vary but voices sound different to me through the Heresys and the Academy or the KLF-C7 but not much if ANY difference between the Academy and the KLF-C7...just my .02.

Bill

----------------

On 5/21/2002 10:52:00 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

You want the Academy over a C-7. The Academy is the correct timbre match for the Cornwalls (as is the Heresy). I own an Academy with my Cornwall II's and it gives good results - although I have been entertaining the idea of a Belle as a center. The Academy is relatively compact and magnetically shielded (somewhat shielded, but not perfect).

----------------

Here we go again. The Academy is not the correct match for Cornwalls. The Academy is the correct match for Chorus, Forte, and Quartet speakers.

The KLF-C7 is the correct match for Legends -- KLF-10/20/30.

There is no HT center channel that is a correct match for Cornwalls. More Cornwalls, Heresys, and Frankenspeakers with Heritage parts are as close as you get.

Sorry to be so gruff, but this is a FAQ, and it is too frequently answered wrong. Let's not encourage guys to spend $500 or more on a speaker that, from a timbre match point of view, is never going to be better than somewhat satisfactory. Using half a pair of Heresys is cheaper and sounds better.

O

----------------

On 3/22/2005 2:10:54 AM DrWho wrote:

Just out of curiousity, would a heresy be a better timbre match than an academy? Has nyone with an academy and heresy ever made the comparison?

----------------

It is. I have.

----------------

The fact that so many people on the forum enjoy the academy leads me to believe that it's one of those things you will never notice until you've actually heard the improvement...and then you can never go back
2.gif

----------------

Not a bad way of putting it.

Front scenarios I've had in my room --

Two Fortes -- pretty good.

Two Fortes flanking an Academy -- really good.

Two Heresys -- pretty good.

Two Heresys flanking an Academy -- not as good as two Heresys.

It's not the speaker, it's the match. Bigger picture thinking, guys. System level, not component level. IMO, IME, YMMV, etc, but I will not recommend anybody spend the money on an Academy to match anything but Fortes, Choruses, Quartets, or more Academys, and I have the experiential basis for saying it.

Olorin speaks the truth...the Academy sounds nice for HT with my Heresy fronts...a third Heresy will sound better...I do not care for the 5 channel stereo when listening to music...I prefer to hear my Heresys sing than the Academy...and I don't dislike the Academy it is just better for home theater. Just my .02 as an owner and a previous owner of the KLF-C7 and current owner of other Heresys.

Bill

----------------

On 5/21/2002 10:04:00 AM iwillwalk wrote:

I have acess to an academy center.but have a c-7.how diffrent are they?I'm looking for a better match for my cornwalls. 1 Hersey would be cheaper &I think better...... if I can find one.

----------------

What do you mean by "a better match"? Is there something about KLF-C7 and Cornwall combination that you don't like?