Gjallerhorn sub. Has anybody here heard or built one?

mustang guy

This massive tapped horn sub shows some mighty impressive numbers. It runs the huge 80lb TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" driver. The output rivals and in many ways beats the Danley DTS-10. Weighing in at 300 lbs, one wouldn't want to have to move it around a lot. The thread is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html.

Here is a schematic:

post-49931-13819688956722_thumb.jpg

It's really not that big..............the same size as two SPUDs stacked together, but the Sd is huge with that driver. I still think I would build 3 spuds rather than this for less money. That is one expensive driver (about 3x the cost of 6 Tang Bands).

It's really not that big..............the same size as two SPUDs stacked together, but the Sd is huge with that driver. I still think I would build 3 spuds rather than this for less money. That is one expensive driver (about 3x the cost of 6 Tang Bands).

Exactly. I think that would cost more to build that just buying the DST10 kit. That is one CRAZY driver!

Exactly. I think that would cost more to build that just buying the DST10 kit. That is one CRAZY driver!

I'm thinking Danley had the LAB 12 driver beefed up a bit for the DTS-10. In terms of radiating area, twin 12's are a little more than a single 15 but not quite an 18. Also there is an Xmax involved and having one of the 12's backwards cancels out a lot of harmonic distortion.....a superior design choice for a lower profile vs. a single 18.

Nonethless, by the time you add the lumber, it's probably a $1,300 build assuming you don't make mistakes. The Danley kit is CNC cut and is very easy to put together. It also goes down deeper and it has a rectancular dimension and lower profile. This 2 foot tall square is not as desirable IMHO, but for someone who wants to go though the time and expense, I'm sure it's impressive enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking Danley had the LAB 12 driver beefed up a bit for the DTS-10. In terms of radiating area, twin 12's are a little more than a single 15 but not quite an 18. Also there is an Xmax involved and having one of the 12's backwards cancels out a lot of harmonic distortion.....a superior design choice for a lower profile vs. a single 18.

Nonethless, by the time you add the lumber, it's probably a $1,300 build assuming you don't make mistakes. The Danley kit is CNC cut and is very easy to put together. It also goes down deeper and it has a rectancular dimension and lower profile. This 2 foot tall square is not as desirable IMHO, but for someone who wants to go though the time and expense, I'm sure it's impressive enough.

FWIW I was just taking a look at the Danley DTS-10 and got hold of their Chicago area rep. Danley is not making kits anymore. And I don't think the plans are available from them either, all for the same reasons Klipsch stopped that practice decades ago.

FWIW I was just taking a look at the Danley DTS-10 and got hold of their Chicago area rep. Danley is not making kits anymore. And I don't think the plans are available from them either, all for the same reasons Klipsch stopped that practice decades ago.

That could change, though. The kit was available upon introduction, stopped, then brought back. I don't think they make more than about a $500 markup on the kit, BUT it saves them a ton of labor to glue, screw, and paint one to sell. It can keep their lumber and driver supplier happy and their CNC machine working in the off hours. I'm sure those parts are made in a couple of hours on the CNC router, then it's just a matter of boxing and shipping.

Be patient.............otherwise, get the dimensions and model one in Hornresp, by making about a 22-24 foot Tapped Horn.

otherwise, get the dimensions and model one in Hornresp, by making about a 22-24 foot Tapped Horn.

Or you could just take the Gjallerhorn dimensions, make it thinner and modify it for twin LAB 12 drivers then model it in Hornresp.

That could change, though. The kit was available upon introduction, stopped, then brought back. I don't think they make more than about a $500 markup on the kit, BUT it saves them a ton of labor to glue, screw, and paint one to sell. It can keep their lumber and driver supplier happy and their CNC machine working in the off hours. I'm sure those parts are made in a couple of hours on the CNC router, then it's just a matter of boxing and shipping.

Be patient.............otherwise, get the dimensions and model one in Hornresp, by making about a 22-24 foot Tapped Horn.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the kit to reappear. The Danley rep was pretty specific. Danley was rather disapointed by the poor build quality many of the kits received and doesn't want that to interfere with their reputation and quality standards.

For me, for now, I think I'm going to steer clear of any DIY projects as I already have enough construction projects going on or planned. If I get involved with a DIY sub or two it won't get done for a year or two and just create more mess around here in the meantime.

• 2 months later...

I don't believe that to be the case......not the same reason at all. The DTS 10 kit is a simple box that had dados and grooves in top grade plywood already cut, which made it VERY difficult to mess it up. Whereas, the Khorn "plans" had none of those facilities, and people put different drivers in there that didn't work. The DTS-10 kit came with drivers and could be assembled by novices quite easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe that to be the case......not the same reason at all. The DTS 10 kit is a simple box that had dados and grooves in top grade plywood already cut, which made it VERY difficult to mess it up. Whereas, the Khorn "plans" had none of those facilities, and people put different drivers in there that didn't work. The DTS-10 kit came with drivers and could be assembled by novices quite easily.

Well Claude, it doesn't really matter. From the 'horse's mouth' ~ "It's not available as a kit or plans anymore"

And regardless, Danley obviously came across enough issues with DIY'ers that they decided to discontinue it. And that's what their midwest regional representative told me.

And why believe me? Call Danley customer service. Or call Danley's midwest regional representative, Don Ludwig. I don't want to post his personal mobile phone number here but if you want it you can contact Danley customer service for that too or email me and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Have nice day [8-|]

And why believe me? Call Danley customer service.

I believed you the first time as to availability. I'm just not totally buying the "reasons" why they don't sell the kits anymore. I met a woman who claims to be unskilled that assembled TWO kits without any trouble.

I believed you the first time as to availability. I'm just not totally buying the "reasons" why they don't sell the kits anymore. I met a woman who claims to be unskilled that assembled TWO kits without any trouble.

Never underestimate the complete inability of a sizable percentage of the public to follow simple instructions. I include myself in that statement, but I can usually go back and figure out where I f***ed it up. [:P]

Never underestimate the complete inability of a sizable percentage of the public to follow simple instructions. I include myself in that statement, but I can usually go back and figure out where I f***ed it up. Stick out tongue

LOL. Very funny. Reminds me of the age old proverb: Nothing is foolproof because fools are very ingenious people, they WILL find a way to screw up even the simplest of things.

Seems like this Gjallerhorn sub would make the guys who built the Tuba HT horns drool just a little, since it's only a cubic foot bigger than a 3x3x3 foot max size THT. I'd like to see what happens when someone puts a 21" driver in it.......................geez.

I still think 3 SPUDS would do a better job of placment to cancel room modes, but this is, so far, THE real MacDaddy TH design for DIY freaks, that's for sure.