Subwoofers~SVS vs Tapped Horn vs Fitzmaurice THT

artto

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the wonderful world of subwoofers!

Have you run any type of REW yet?

Have you tried one on the middle of each wall? According to a Harman paper (as I recall) that's the optimal setup for a smooth response throughout the entire room.

Very nice, you clearly have been long and not short AAPL the last month. LOL

LOL. Well, yes, sort of. It's in two of the mutual funds I'm holding but nothing I can get at. This will be funded by the money I've saved up from recording the Glen Ellyn - Wheaton Chorale and producing their CD's as well as selling a bass amp or two that I haven't used in a few years.

Welcome to the wonderful world of subwoofers!

Have you run any type of REW yet?

Have you tried one on the middle of each wall? According to a Harman paper (as I recall) that's the optimal setup for a smooth response throughout the entire room.

The only tests I've run so far is using an SPL meter at the listening position and playing a few low frequency sine wave tones to verify the correct polarity position for integration with the Khorns.

I'm still aching from the four hour exercise of unloading and getting these things downstairs into the music room and unpacking them, LOL.. They are going to stay where they are for the moment! [:P]

As far as the Toole/Harmon paper goes I'm not sure I can (or maybe just won't want to) do as they recommend because of several logistical reasons. But then again, I'm not too concerned about optimal smooth response throughout the room, just in the optimal main listening area which accomodates about three people. I have quite a bit of bass trapping along corner intersections and plan on adding more. Also, Roxul has a new product "Safe 'n Sound" which Home Depot has at a good price, so I will soon be installing that up to 15" deep behind the polycylinders along the upper half of the front and side walls. This should create some more substantial bass trapping, up to 55"x 28' and smooth things out even more as well as lower the already low noise floor in the room.

It's in two of the mutual funds

hmmm, what do you trade if you don't mind me asking?

Myself I dabble a bit listen to Tom &Tony on Tasty trade every day with
things going well before being run over by AAPL the last few weeks, So no new
gear for me for a wile.

I'm glad you made your move, after I made the offer to check out my system I
came across a thread with your equipment racks. Good hell there is no
comparison.

I really enjoy what little I was able to pull together in the last year
however. Last night I did all fore sides of the Who Tommy SACD, other than what they
played on the radio back in the day I had never herd the album. Disc two and
your new quad I'm thinking you would also enjoy.

Put me on the list if you ever have an open house would love to check it out.