Subwoofers~SVS vs Tapped Horn vs Fitzmaurice THT

artto

Btw, it would be pretty easy to redesign a tapped horn or even custom design one to fit into the aesthetic constraints of the front of your room.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure it is, except I don't know what the parameters are. It really only needs to be a few inches shorter than the volvotreeter.

OK, I found the tapped horn design utility and McBean's Hornresp program. Apparently he moved it. Just glancing at it, looks fairly self explanitory. I'll be sure to give you guys another hollar if (when, lol) I run into trouble.

Thanks again for all the help from EVERYONE!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got me thinking so had to try it tonight. I was running a Klipsh RW-12d just to bring up the LaScala bass a bit.
Dragged over the SVS for a try...... If you want to get REALLY loud it's the way to go.. GNR Mr. Brownstone and Paradise City sounds amazing but it's to much?
My wife will kill me if I leave it set up this way. :+}
AC/DC you shook me all night long.. Holy crap! Glad I have a big room. One more SVS and I can open a club.
Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit - I can feel it in my throat.
Can you tell yet My wife is out of the house for a wile?
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms - Walk of Life, Why Worry - way less low end but still nice enhancement over the RW-12
Ride Across the River. bass track shines. o-yeah!!
Man's too Strong now we are getting down there sweet!
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Alone and Acoustic - sounds about the same as RW-12
Bottom line 2 k-horns 1 LaScala one SVS I bet this is what Jubilee's sound like? Never herd a pair but this has got to be it? I like it.

• Moderators

About that IMAX, with installations like this it is not always left the way it was setup, somebody could have played with it or moved something, that can't be right. The picture wasn't right either, somethings wrong.

Just guessing really, the IMAX in New Orleans was not impressive at all to me, the sound was OK at best and the pic was a little better, we have never gone back but may try it again one day.

• Moderators

Bottom line 2 k-horns 1 LaScala one SVS I bet this is what Jubilee's sound like? Never herd a pair but this has got to be it? I like it.

IMO....IMO...IMO.....now that that's out the way

I would have to say no.

Your bass with that sub is going much deeper than Jubes easily.

I have never heard 2 khorns with a center LaScala together, I have heard a all LaScala HT so I know your setup has got to sound great. [Y] I would love to hear that combination.

The big difference with the jube is the 402 horn, that is what makes the BIG difference.The jube has great bass and a little different sound than the khorn bass but that's not where the biggest difference is.

I couldn't afford Jube bass bins so I went with something from the 70's that also works with the 402 horn. My bass does not go as deep as a Jube, BUT I was able to build my bass bins, this I could afford. I use a spud sub (1 for now) for the deeper bass anyway (when it even turned on).

I had to find some way to get that 402 horn because to us that's where the real difference is, without a doubt.

• Moderators

To me the tapped horn sub sound is different, I like it better, to me it matches better with the folded horn speaker. Could be in my head, but I do like it and it's seems to be very efficient.

I don't know much about this stuff, I just go by what I hear and depend on smart people like DrWho and others to work out the details and I just follow. [:o] I'm not as dumb as I look, and don't start a debate about it, even a broken watch is right once a day. [:$]

And there are MANY here who know how to work out the kinks in designs for people like me to follow, and we do appreciate it ! [Y][:P]

• Moderators

Artto I wanted to say that I love the way your room looks, I remember the first time I seen a picture of it thinking how much I liked how wide the room is, it looks like perfect spacing for your speakers, everything just fits well. Overall the way it looks just stuck with me, I know you did alot to treat the sound but it's also done very nicely.

Been wanting to say that for a long time, Great room [H]

About that IMAX, with installations like this it is not always left the way it was setup, somebody could have played with it or moved something, that can't be right. The picture wasn't right either, somethings wrong.

Just guessing really, the IMAX in New Orleans was not impressive at all to me, the sound was OK at best and the pic was a little better, we have never gone back but may try it again one day.

I was thinking the same thing as I was catching up on the thread. Then I see where you said it! I agree, too many red flags with his experience. I'm not defending Danley, the sound signature may not be his taste, but it certainly shouldn't be a bad experience. I'm going to call operator error.

I'm a Site Planner, and can't tell you how many projects (majority) are designed beautifully on paper and then idiots get involved and chop it all to hell. End result, is my name attached to a crap job.

I think the transducers that mount under your seat and are the size between a tea cup and a coffee cup are making the big box ultra subwoofers obsolete. Price is far below a tenth of the cost of the big boxes.

Hi Artto

I have a pair of K-Horns with a LaScala center also have a SVS PB12 Plus 2, never thought to put them together but if you want to swing by some weekend and try your welcome to it.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it just to see how it sounds.

Right now the path I'm most considering is having a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice's THT low profile versions made in a 18x21x72 configuration with Dayton RSS390HF drivers driven by a pair of Dayton SA1000 amps. They would stand vertical on either side of the Belle center. Also under consideration is a Danley DTS-10 laying flat under the Belle. Same amp.

You got me thinking so had to try it tonight. I was running a Klipsh RW-12d just to bring up the LaScala bass a bit.
Dragged over the SVS for a try...... If you want to get REALLY loud it's the way to go.. GNR Mr. Brownstone and Paradise City sounds amazing but it's to much?
My wife will kill me if I leave it set up this way. :+}
AC/DC you shook me all night long.. Holy crap! Glad I have a big room. One more SVS and I can open a club.
Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit - I can feel it in my throat.
Can you tell yet My wife is out of the house for a wile?
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms - Walk of Life, Why Worry - way less low end but still nice enhancement over the RW-12
Ride Across the River. bass track shines. o-yeah!!
Man's too Strong now we are getting down there sweet!
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Alone and Acoustic - sounds about the same as RW-12

"I bet this is what Jubillee's sound like?"

I don't really know what all the fuss is about with the Jubilee. I had some correspondence with Roy a while back. My take on it is that it simply overcomes some of the issues that I and a few others went through so much trouble with the Khorns and room to bring out the best in them. In other words, the Jubilee probably performs better than the Khorn under most (a wider) range of conditions without the fuss.

No offense to the Jubilee owner, but IMO overall performance of my setup is far better than what I heard from the Jubilees. The only thing I really prefered was the 2-way combination with the 402 horn. It seemed to provide a more seamless sound than the 3-way setup. IMHO the quality of the recording and of the room still rule. What you put between those two things is purely academic. Even average components will benefit greatly from a superior recording and great room. Of course, there are others who will disagree.

This was not an IMAX. It was an OMNImax. Huge curved screen. Semi-dome like. Sort of like a partial planetarium. The visual distortion isn't so noticable on some things like landscapes. But others, like some trestles, at first I wondered what the hell is that? Oh, I get it - trestles.

Tall smoke stacks ~ forget it. Like small trees bending in a strong wind.

Artto I wanted to say that I love the way your room looks, I remember the first time I seen a picture of it thinking how much I liked how wide the room is, it looks like perfect spacing for your speakers, everything just fits well. Overall the way it looks just stuck with me, I know you did alot to treat the sound but it's also done very nicely.

Been wanting to say that for a long time, Great room Cool

Thank you very much!

Yeah, the listening experience for most people, their comments are pretty much the same. "The room just disappears".

Hey wait. If it looks so nice, do I really want it to disappear? [*-)]

Your projects sound interesting when finished should you have an open
house put me on the list. All my 2 channel gear is only new to me in the
last year, I could use a few Ideas on refining it.

I was kind of
shocked how much I liked the SVS with it last night.

I'm with you
on the Jubilee's bought the LaScalas new just out of high school
1975-76 and it took my 40 years to come up with the K-horns. So even if I
knew for a fact they sounded a little better I'm totally happy with what I ended up with. I may try V-trak horns if I ever find a used set reasonable but that's about it.

• Moderators

Two of my favorite Klipsch speakers I don't have, Heresy lll and LaScala.

I made something with the Lascala top horns but a bunch more bass, so that's close enough.

Thought about selling the 6 forte's and using the Cornwall lll's for fronts and get 3 Heresy lll's, for center and 2 rears, a close to perfect match. But the wife said were not getting rid of the fortes, so no H lll's. The cornwalls wouldn't really fit into that room anyway

Never heard a SVS myself.