2 rw-12d's or 1 epik empire

Dengnath

Its hard to find reviews on the empire so I thought id ask the pros:

I currently own one rw12d and wanted to purchase another one as soon as new egg gets them back in stock.

But at the same time I was wondering if I would be better off buying a new epik empire and then keep the rw12d for aesthetics since it matched my system but mainly just running the epik

What do you think?

Here's a fairly comprehensive battery of measurements on the Empire.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=50&mset=48

As far as how it compares to the RW-12D, there's not a great basis for comparison since nobody has really measured one under the same circumstances as the Empire there (ground plane/outdoors). However, from the measurements of the Empire, its a good subwoofer for the money, with gobs of output from 32Hz on up, and useable output in the teens. Based on its specs, a pair of RW-12D wouldn't be able to match the Empire's measured performance.

How about dual epik legends?

No one has really measured the Legends, but from what I've read its response is similar to the Empire, but with about 6dB less output across the board. As such, a pair of them ought to put you at near parity with a single Empire in terms of output, and if you've got the inclination, you can try to smooth the in room FR across a wide area.

Is the svs 12nsd really everything everyone talks it up to be?

Depends on what you're looking for.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=66

It's not the king of output, although it has no shortage of it. What defines the output of the PB12-NSD is a very flat, linear response, even at its limits, and very low distortion.

For example, from 20Hz to 125Hz, at the 100dB long term sine sweep, the response varies by a total of about 4dB (+/-2dB), and distortion reaches a maximum of 2.5% around 25Hz. Moving up to the 105dB long term sine sweep, the response varies by a total of about 6dB (+/-3dB), and distortion reaches a maximum of 4.5%, again around 25Hz. Translating that from 2 meters ground plane to in room, if you corner loaded the PB12-NSD and sat 10 feet away from it, you'd theoretically see 113.3dB.

What do you think of about your svs compared to the rw12d?

Again, it's hard to say since the RW-12D hasn't been measured up, down, and sideways like the Empire and the PB12-NSD. Per the PB12's measurements and the RW-12D's specs, the PB12 should have greater output than a stacked pair of RW-12Ds from 30Hz on down; I'd expect a single RW-12D could probably come close to matching the output of a PB12 from 40Hz on up, although I doubt it could match the performance in distortion or linearity.

Sorry for stepping in. I have read a lot about the placement of a sub in a corner, but no one ever seems to give details on that. Is the corner placement with the sub parallel to a wall? Or is it facing into the corner at 45 degrees? Facing out (for the front-firing type)?

I have only tried placing mine at the 45-degree angle facing out. So, was wondering if I'm doing that placement wrong.

Thanks.

Sorry for stepping in. I have read a lot about the placement of a sub in a corner, but no one ever seems to give details on that. Is the corner placement with the sub parallel to a wall? Or is it facing into the corner at 45 degrees? Facing out (for the front-firing type)?

No difference that I'm aware of. The point of corner loading is that bass will radiate in 360 degrees. By putting the subwoofer against one wall, as opposed to out in the open, it is theoretically equivilent to adding a second subwoofer in that spot(+6dB). By putting it in a corner, you add another wall, and thus add another 6dB, and adding the output of another 2 subs.

I guess the big debate in my head is go two rw12ds or go two epik legeneds. Or go one epik empire ?

Between a pair of RW-12Ds and the Legends, I'd probably opt for the Legends based on what little I know.

Between the Legends and the Empire, things get a little murkier.

1. We know what the Empire delivers. We have no actual data on the Legend.

2. Having dual subs of course gives you the ability to smooth the in room response over a wide area a bit better than is possible with a single sub.

3. I'd check out what you can on reliability on the two. I've heard the Legend was at one time known for having amp issues. Not sure if that's still the case. Also have heard of more recent issues with the Empire in this regard.

probably not a whole lot of help here but I used to have the older verson of the SVS PB12NSD and it was all that. only reason I got rid of it was it was so dang BIG! the newer one is slightly smaller but still very big.

just was an eye sore in our living room honestly.

but the output was great and when turned up it really put out tons of low bass. on the same hand I now have a sealed Sunfire HRS12 sub and for how I use it I am perfectly happy with it. especially the size

it really all boils down to

1) your room size/shape/function

2) your type of music/movies

3) tons of low bass or LOUD bass?

I had 2 rw12ds before getting the ed a7 350, also have had svs pc 20-39, svs pb 12/2

I know the person who I had picked up the 20-39 went with dual empires 1 at a time and was very happy with just one initially

I finally eq'd my a7-350 and feel far more satisfied as it hits better now for music and still hits nice for the movies

Not sure what other speakers you had going with these sub(s) but I'd probably skip the rw12ds and likely start with 1 empire or look at comparable priced subs from all the other id companies as well, Id be curious to try rythmiks fv15hp http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html