How to mount Quartet to wall as Center speaker

smellyeagle

Edit:

Orig topic was which center to use but I have since found one. Now I'd like to know how to mount it.

I'm looking for a good center channel for my Forte II's and am leaning towards an academy though I don't know if I can find one for a decent price. If I cannot, would a heresy speaker be a good match?

Yes, the Academy will work great. If you have room for the Heresy, go with an HII (Tractrix) instead of an original Heresy. In a pinch, you can also try a KV3 (can be found used in the $100-125 range) until you find exactly what you want. The KV3 worked very well for me and sounded nearly as good as the Academy when I was running it with my Quartets. It all depends on room layout and what you can fit in most cases.

Heresy 2 is a nice match but it does not have any tractrix horns. The H3 has a tractrix tweeter horn. All the heresy share essentially the same mid horn either in metal K700 or in resin plastic K701. Academy can get spendy and in some cases I have seen them sell for as much as a pait of Forte ll. The perfect match would be another Forte ll or a Quartet. Best regards Moray James.

Mounting a Quartet on the wall will reduce bass output because if you do the passive radiator on the back side will not be able to radiate into the room. If you are good with the bass output with the speaker right up against the wall then go for it.this would in no way impact the speaker other than its spectral balance so if the sound works for you it's good. Best regards Moray James.

Sorry for the poor info - I was mistaken. You are so lucky to have found that single Quartet at such a great price, too!!! Yes, the passive radiator is on the back, so placement can get tricky. Good luck - if you make sure to cross it over so the sub handles the bass below 80 or even 100 hz, it may not matter as much.

Before I found an Academy I too used a Quartet as a center for my Fortes. I had it positioned horizontally on top of a big rear projection TV, sitting on a wooden platform to help distribute the load. However, if that were not possible, I think you can use a TV mount, either one for a flat screen TV in which you screw an attachment panel onto the back of the speaker and one into a wall stud, or the style which consists of a swing arm attached to the wall stud and a shelf on which the speaker sits (like TVs in hospital rooms and such). Any clearance between the speaker and the wall will allow the passive radiator to work just fine. You can take the base off the Quartet, and reposition the name badge for horizontal symmetry. W/O the base, I think the Q weighs around 40 lbs, and some TV wall mounts are made to hold much more than that; you just have to know that you are fastening it to a wall stud. Check out www(dot)standsandmounts(dot)com, although I am sure there are many other TV mount sources.

• Moderators

Good luck - if you make sure to cross it over so the sub handles the bass below 80 or even 100 hz, it may not matter as much.

Exactly, well that's what I was thinking, I had to do that to my back speakers because they are close to th back wall.