component isolaters?

Thaddeus Smith

subdude dimensions: 15"x15"

cinema f-20 dimensions: 29.375" x 20"

plus, my sub is already on 4 2.5" dia x 1"h rubber feet. ;)

I guess you could buy one and quarter it. Put one piece under each leg. OR, you could bring the sub back and I can build you a smaller one.

subdude dimensions: 15"x15"

cinema f-20 dimensions: 29.375" x 20"

plus, my sub is already on 4 2.5" dia x 1"h rubber feet. ;)

I guess you could buy one and quarter it. Put one piece under each leg. OR, you could bring the sub back and I can build you a smaller one.Idea

ha, not a chance. this sub blends far too well with those RF-5s I stole from you. :P

• Moderators

LOL! Audyssey is a finnicky wench, and we shall not disturb her for now.

I wouldn't know I never had it before, my receiver is probably 6 years old, that's old these days. Everything works except the button to lower the volume on the remote, and it gets used 30-40 hours a week.

depending on the rubber, it may or may not be helping. If the rubber is rather solid it could transfer the energy. Auralex makes larger sub pads so take a look at their site, you could also try and make your own using their material.

OK, curiosity has the better of me and I have to ask about how the subdude works. In theory, to get the most performance from your sub, you need to have it be as still as possible so that the energy from the driver is turned into acoustical energy and not be wasted as energy used to move the sub around. In normal operation, on the other hand, spikes are used to couple speakers and subs to the floor (normally through carpet) to achieve a solid coupling to the floor so that there's no wasted energy. If the subdude decouples the sub from the floor, doesn't it infact allow the sub to vibrate thus decreasing acoustical output?

and just for reference - the cabinet vibrations of this sub are nearly non-existent. I don't have access to a scale big enough, but based on the lift test
(or lack thereof) keep in mind that this sub is conservatively weighed
in at 250lbs, and extremely well braced.At loud volumes/low frequencies, you feel the air being pushed out of the mouth, but the the box barely registers any sort activity.The closet door directly in front of the mouth, however, is about to rattle off its hinges - i currently have to drape a towl over it to close the gap in the door jam and the door knob still buzzes/rattles. Acoustical energy is surely getting into that closet and moving things around.

these are the feet: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-772

I really think you'll have to address individual concerns (players, doors, etc) as opposed to addressing the source, but that's just my opinion.

i'm right there with you. ;)

Subxero - If this were your typical commercial sub that was walking all over the floor or rattling in place, I would totally agree with you and start with the source. In this particular instance, however, the source is absolutely dead where required. which is good, because i have a ton of EQ'ing, placement issues, component vibration problems, structural vibration problems, and room treatments to worry about instead. :P

• Moderators

In theory, to get the most performance from your sub, you need to have it be as still as possible so that the energy from the driver is turned into acoustical energy and not be wasted as energy used to move the sub around. In normal operation, on the other hand, spikes are used to couple speakers and subs to the floor (normally through carpet) to achieve a solid coupling to the floor so that there's no wasted energy.

That's what I thought also, that's why I was confused what was being isolated.

Inside a cabinet like SuBXeRo has I could understand trying one but not out in the open.

The subdudes only work at filtering certain frequency ranges so keep that in mind too. The foam is dense enough but not solid that the vibrations bounce around in the foam and lose energy as they pass through to the point of where there are no more waves, or that is the theory at least.

Coupling to the floor is a 2 fold thing i think. By couple it it is helping to make it so it cant move and the second i think is to help send the acoustical energy from the cabinet vibtration into the floor where it can be disipated.

I think that the same thing is being accomplished in both scenarios but just different ways of doing it.