Heresy and La Scala

Croc

Hi,

i use La Scala's for the stereo.
They have upgraded xovers, tweeter and fastrac modrange horn.

for the HT i don't have a center speaker at all.

Now i've come across locally at pair of Heresys - if they sound tone similar to La Scala i would use one as center speaker.

So the question - do they sound similar?
Especially in treble, midrange and dynamics?

Bass obviuosly will be different - but this i can compensate in HT processor.

Thanks!!!!
Gennady

The LaScala and Heresy type I have the exact same mind driver and tweeter. Later Heresy changed to other mid drivers but those mid drivers only differed in that they were cermaic magnet and used the same voice coil. Later model Heresy's did use different tweeters. So if you have a Heresy type I, the mid and tweeter is exactly the same.

I have LaScalas and also had Hereseys for many years. They don't really sound the same or even similar, which I interpret to mean very close. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't compatible. They both have the heritage horn characteristic but each has it's own identity as well. If I were you I'd give it a try as long as you're buying them rightthen if you don't like it you can get your $ back out of them or use them in a second system. If they don't sound right you probably won't be happy with anything less than a third LaScala.

If you can get the Heresys at a good price, I'd go for it. A La Scala would be ideal, but I used a Heresy II as a centre speaker between JubScalas for some time, and then upgraded it to Heresy III specs, which was a definite improvement. The sound was fine, even with the Heresy II/III lying on its side.

Now I'm using a Belle as a centre speaker, and the Heresy III is now the rear centre speaker.

i use La Scala's for the stereo.
They have upgraded xovers, tweeter and fastrac modrange horn.

Now i've come across locally at pair of Heresys

So the question - do they sound similar?
Especially in treble, midrange and dynamics?

I would expect that if you had a LaScala (stock) between a pair of LaScalas with the Fastrac midrange that it would not sound similar.

I would therefore expect that a Heresy with stock drivers/horns would be even more different (in timbre) than the LaScalas with the Fastrac midrange.

Doesn't mean you won't like it, doesn't mean it would sound bad, doesn't mean it won't be 'good enough'.

Just speculating on your specific question of would they sound similar, I'd think you'd be able to tell them apart quite easily.

*disclaimer: I've never heard the Fastrac and have no idea how it sounds. Going from what I've read, it's a significant improvement over stock which is what suggests to me your gap of performance between the two speakers above is even wider.

i love Fastrac.

IMO it makes LS almost perfect speaker.

if i get Hersy of course i will have to get the same tweetr (2404) and same horn (Fastrac).

so the question now whether those are "plug&play" on Heresy? (on LS they are)