considering purchasing an H.H. Scott LK 48 integrated, looking for advice

I myself put just about zero weight in the ability of what is referred to as "local technicians" on these amps. I have bags of parts I have removed installed by local technicians.

Craig, that's downright insulting to the highly trained, and highly competent "local technicians" whose work is exemplary in every respect. As with any endeavor, one can always find all levels of competence. To imply that such technicians are incompetent (because they prefer to work on a local basis?) is a disservice to your colleagues in the audio restoration, design, and fabrication business. It should be beneath your dignity as a respected member of that community to even make such a statement!

This reminds me of when I worked in aircraft repair. The technical folks knew they had to cotter pin some nuts, and safety wire others. So they did, depending what was specified. The craftsman would go behind the technical folks and re-cotter pin the ones that did not have the cotter pin heads in either the direction of rotation or direction of flight. Safety wire that did not have 6 to 8 turns per inch were re-done. Mind you, both work products were probally just as safe for flight, but one was technically correct while the other was technically correct and ascetically appealing.

This reminds me of when I worked in aircraft repair. The technical folks knew they had to cotter pin some nuts, and safety wire others. So they did, depending what was specified. The craftsman would go behind the technical folks and re-cotter pin the ones that did not have the cotter pin heads in either the direction of rotation or direction of flight. Safety wire that did not have 6 to 8 turns per inch were re-done. Mind you, both work products were probally just as safe for flight, but one was technically correct while the other was technically correct and ascetically appealing.

You raise an interesting point. In my experience over the years with the "local technicians" involved in audio (as well as antique radio restoration), it is they who are the true craftsmen who also possess incredible technical knowledge. Because they create, or restore, for the pure love of what they do (and not because they derive their income from it) their work has often been at a level which no one could touch. They don't care if they invest 100+ hours in designing/building an amp for example, as it's the end result that they are after. Beautiful to look at above and below the chassis, and beautiful to listen to. They are known strictly by reputation, and work for those who just happen to hear about them or are recommended by someone for whom they did some work. So, my advice to people following this discussion is to seek out local talent. Ask around and you will be amazed at the number of highly skilled local people who work in audio (and just about anything else.)

" true craftsmen "

You make it sound like there are a lot of people like this. I'm glad to hear it! I know a few local craftsmen in other fields and met a few here for sure!

It is hard not to be a cynic after my multiple experiences with hack rip off artists who take way too much pride in their lousy work.

It feels good to know there are still good people out there who care and do good work! Buying this amp will be fun experience for you... just get it serviced soon and be picky. Wouldn't go wrong with Craig IMHO. That Scott will make you smile!

good luck and have fun!

thanks everyone for the advice, i guess my original thought process regarding cost was somewhat naive. i think i will try to find one for sale already restored to avoid as many of the unknowns, mistakes, and issues as possible. That being said, anyone got one for sale. I posted in the garage sale forum a while back and got no response.

thanks everyone for the advice, i guess my original thought process regarding cost was somewhat naive. i think i will try to find one for sale already restored to avoid as many of the unknowns, mistakes, and issues as possible. That being said, anyone got one for sale. I posted in the garage sale forum a while back and got no response.

Get hold of Speakerfritz. I think he had a really nice Jolida for sale a while ago at a very fair price. The Jolida amps offer good value for the money imo.

I myself put just about zero weight in the ability of what is referred to as "local technicians" on these amps. I have bags of parts I have removed installed by local technicians.

Craig, that's downright insulting to the highly trained, and highly competent "local technicians" whose work is exemplary in every respect. As with any endeavor, one can always find all levels of competence. To imply that such technicians are incompetent (because they prefer to work on a local basis?) is a disservice to your colleagues in the audio restoration, design, and fabrication business. It should be beneath your dignity as a respected member of that community to even make such a statement!

Listen all I can do is share my expereince. What I stated is absoluely true.... If you don't like it then pass the post by. I said "about zero" which means not "all" but "most".... the fact of the matter is "most" local techinians perform the "fix what is broke" technique with gear. Which is simply put "a recipe for disaster" with 50+ year old tube gear. Also "most" local technicians use bargin bin components that do not do this gear justice from a sonic stand point.

Listen all I can do is share my expereince. What I stated is absoluely true.... If you don't like it then pass the post by. I said "about zero" which means not "all" but "most".... the fact of the matter is "most" local techinians perform the "fix what is broke" technique with gear. Which is simply put "a recipe for disaster" with 50+ year old tube gear. Also "most" local technicians use bargin bin components that do not do this gear justice from a sonic stand point.

Well, no point arguing about this. But, there are an awful lot of local techs across this country and I find it hard to believe that you have seen the work of so many of them that you can qualify your opinion by saying that "most" are below par. I just want to make it clear to our fellow forum members that there are "many" local techs who do magnificent work; to give the impression that consulting with them is a disservice to their equipment is not only misleading, but totally untrue. If you want to discuss this further, email me and we can trade "war stories."

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/154612/1627337.aspx#1627337

post-22082-13819690971092_thumb.png

Well, no point arguing about this. But, there are an awful lot of local techs across this country and I find it hard to believe that you have seen the work of so many of them that you can qualify your opinion by saying that "most" are below par. I just want to make it clear to our fellow forum members that there are "many" local techs who do magnificent work; to give the impression that consulting with them is a disservice to their equipment is not only misleading, but totally untrue. If you want to discuss this further, email me and we can trade "war stories."

Well lets flip the coin here...how many local technicians do you have experience with? I can absolutely say I've seen the work of probably a 100 fold the number you have.....so what qualifies your "many" statement?

I stand by my statement. In fact I'm currently on "extra" day two of straightening out the mess of a previous local "technician" on a pair of McIntosh MC-60 and a C-20. But then when something leaves my bench the workmanship is at least as good and in many cases better then the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

just thought id mention that a 299D came in. i bought it from a forum member here. Sonance84 packed it exceptionally well and it arrived when expected and in the correct number of pieces. set it up a couple days ago and have been listening to it since it came in the door.

its sitting on a cornwall right now. in the middle of rearranging.

post-48343-13819692614678_thumb.jpg