JasonJCarney

dtel

I was reading the other thread and you had 6 Onkyo's and a Yamaha in the past and thought you would be the man to ask. Or anyone who would know Geeked

I don't even know if I'm going to change or not or when but was looking at Onkyo. I have a Yamaha RX-V730 now, it has pre-outs which I need but none of the newer sound formats for Blu-ray and no HDMI.

Besides what I don't have now the Onkyo's also has streaming internet radio which I use alot and can only get Pandora through my Blu-ray player.

The models I was looking at were the 709 and the 809. Obviously the 809 has ton's of stuff better than the 709 but the 709 has everything I really need. At over a $300 difference I don't know if it's worth it to me, the power difference is not important to me.

I really like the Yamaha I have but it's getting old and lacks some features I really could use. I'm not stuck on Onkyo brand but I would really like to have the internet radio and i really need the pre-outs and either of those models have everything i need. I like the Hk's but they don't have what I need, or would like to have.

I'm just a little nervous switching brands considering when I found the first one I also listened to denon and really didn't like it at all. How does the sound of the Onkyo compare to the Yamaha ?

I know it's alot of questions but i keep equipment for a really long time when they keep working and would probably have whatever I decide on for a good while. Part of the reason I'm having a hard time with this, mine works fine and i don't really need to do anything. Tongue Tied

In a futile attempt to get this back on track, why don't you consider a new Yamaha that has the features that you want, since you like what you hear from your current set up?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

It is what it is [:o] Yes i just stole that [:P]

I may end up with a Yamaha, originally I was thinking Yamaha or HK. The reason I was thinking HK was for years now everything I read seems to point to music sounds better on the HK than whatever brand they had before.

I was looking at Onkyo because of the streaming internet radio, after hearing about the squeezbox thing (thanks) that's not a good reason to pick one brand over another.

I do have a old HK 930 that sounds great......not that it has anything to do with a new Ht receiver. If it were the same sound there would be no need to look any further.

I really don't know, time to start over [:S]

I know one thing, it better have Audyssey, YPAO, XT and XT32, with a new one not known which combines them all and can bring you a beer and light your cigar at the same time. [H] couldn't help it

I have an idea everyone on this thread come over after a new receiver is here, we will listen to anything you want in multi channel set however you want........then we will listen to the plain old fashioned 2 CH and then take a vote on which one to leave on ?

I already know what your ears will make your mouth say [;)]

I had a Yamaha A1000(retail $1095) and had to sell it 3 months old and spotless for 1/3 retail, there is a reason, it sucked,lol,imo.It did work fine, big whoop.There are avrs that do music really good, you'll just have to listen or settle, best of luck.

• Moderators

I had a Yamaha A1000(retail $1095) and had to sell it 3 months old and spotless for 1/3 retail, there is a reason, it sucked,lol,imo.It did work fine, big whoop.

With all of this stuff (not just Yamaha) it's really down to what model # and not just the brand anymore, you hear more and more how one model stands out good or bad. And it's constantly changing, making it harder is different rooms, speakers and other equipment.

The only thing that seems to help is when one person has tried a few brands and can compare how they sounded to give you a rough idea, because you still have probably different speakers set up in a different room.

Gets a little tough.

One good thing I don't depend on multi channel for music much at all anymore, even concert DVD's are more and more in 2 ch here, i try it both ways and play it how it sounds best.

I like Fish's suggestion. I demo 2 Denon's, Sony and a Pioneer in my home each for 2-3 weeks before keeping the Pioneer. This way you can compare Audyssey, DACA, MCACC or any other autocalibration system. I was able to return all the avr's within 30 days for a full refund. No matter what an avr sounds like in the store you will not know if you like it until you get it home, and set it up, and spend some hours on it with multiple sources.