Cornwall? What the...?

dougdrake

Doug,

Those sure look like a homebrew custom job. I am not an expert, but the horn looks like an Altec, and it also looks like insulation poking out arount the horn.

Maybe everyone else knew they weren't Klipsch, since nobody bid on them.

Jim

Sure aren't Cornwalls...the emblem on the grille cloth looks like an ALTEC one judging by its shape.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Those are Altec Valencias. 15" 416 woofers in vented boxes, 806 drivers on 811B horns, crossover at 800hz, 98db efficiency. The insulation is there to absorb high-frequency "fringing" from the horns and prevent it from striking the projecting cabinet sidewalls. Very good speakers, one of the best rigs I ever heard uses Valencias and CJ electronics. Very comparable to a Cornwall, same kind of speaker. The Valencia traces it's heritage directly back to Jim Lansing's Iconic speaker of 1938, the first high quality 15" vented woofer and compression driver-horn speaker I'm aware of. In fact the 806 driver is Lansing's 801 used in the Iconic with a permanent magnet instead of a field-coil one.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 05-23-2002 at 08:44 PM