Keep my RB-61's or buy RS-42's

joshjp

they have an inirect sound to them creating a wide dispersion field, kind of an enveloping experience. bookshelfs are direct radiating. I like having dedicated surrounds for sides or rears. I have a pair of rb-5's i plain to use as rears but its what i have on hand. If i dont like it i can always switch my speakers around.

Should you get them? Hard to say if you'd be happy. Buy from a place that has a good return policy. Test them out and see if you like them.

i have two pair of rs-42's and i love them. however after reading lots of threads about having the 7.1's being directional speakers instead of the rs series has me thinking that it might be better. but who knows. i am happy with what i have now so probably shouldnt change. although sure wish i could find a killer deal on some 52's or 62's instead since i just picked up some rf-63's and a rc-64 [:)]

I've owned both speakers the RB-61s and RS-42s. I started out with the RB-61s as my surrounds in my 5.1 and then switched to the RS-42s. Both sound great and do a good job but I was happier with the RS-42s as my surrounds and I think you will be too. Expecially for the price you are paying for the pair.

This might be comparing apples to oranges but I found that my RB-61's need quite a bit of EQ-ing to keep up with the timber of me KLF-20's in a different room. The down side is that my AVR will not allow for independant EQ settings for main and B-Zone speakers.

Luckily my AVR has storage for 2 memories of EQ. Shame they can't be assigned per speaker set.

Should i Keep my RB-61's or buy RS-42's, for my rears?.biggrin.gif

I
see rb3 listed in your profile as well, why not sell the rb3s and keep
the 61s? 42s should be fine, I think 52s would be optimal if given the chance.

I'd probably not sell the 61s for 42s, your 61s hold better all around ratings including power/frequency response, looks like a downgrade that way to me with exception to your placement abilities.

If it were my dollars the rb3's would be geting replaced with rs42s first, they look to be a good upgrade/lateral which would get you in the same generation of speakers to match everything up.