Heresy II's for $300 - What do you think?

bijaker1

I have both and you'll lose a lot of bass with the heresys. If you have a sub you'll like them a lot.

That's a shame, I do not have a sub up to par with the Heresys, although I've never been much of a bass-head. Assuming I do get a good sub, how would you compare the speakers?

They look to be in good shape. Worth $300 for sure. Yes you'll notice quite a difference between the two. The KGs have more low end and the Heresy brings out the midrange (voices). This is a great opportunity to compare. With no subwoofer involved, bass hungry listeners would go with the KG, IMHO. In your case......tell us what you think.

Paul (superedge88) was in a similar situation last November and got some opinions. Here is the thread.

For me that's a tough one. I really like the kgs because of the hit you in the chest low end that they have. The Heresy's have a really nice midrange and to me have a little more of that sound like you would hear at a live show. I've found that the kg's sound pretty decent with any equipment that they're hooked up to and I had to do a little searching to find something to really get the sound I was looking for out of the Heresy's. I first ran the Heresy's through a Adcom preamp hooked up to my Sunfire amp and the sound wasn't all that impressive. So I took a Concept 11.0 and used it as a preamp hooked to the Sunfire and they really came alive and had much more bass. Since then I've hooked them up with several vintage receivers and several new receivers and the Heresy's really favor the vintage equipment, but that's just my opinion. I've sure that everyone here will give you different opinions of them, that just my two scent's worth.

What kind of music do you listen to? For loud rock and roll I'd probably stick with the KG's, with acoustic music I'd pick the Heresy's. I guess that's why I've still got both sets, lol. Cornwalls are the best of both worlds for me.

Thanks for the advice Rivernuggets and Rusty Melton.

I listen to artists like R.E.M., Elton John, and Madonna, and also some modern electronic music. The electronic music would definitely suffer without healthy lows, although I do think bands like R.E.M. would sound great on HII's based on what you and others have told me.

After reading the threads (superedge88's and Texas Bone Crusher's) I think I'm going to have to pass on the HII's. I have a SS Yamaha htr-6030 receiver, which I'm afraid may not play well with the HII's and I didn't take into account the cost of stands nor a good sub. The KGs will have to do for my modest dorm setup.

I may still audition them, although I'd feel a little bad having the seller set them up when I am unlikely (as of now anyways) to buy them. Who knows, maybe they'll persuade me. What do you guys think?

All you can do is listen and decide for yourself. Heritage speakers have a sound of their own. Just make sure to bring your own music, something you are very familiar with. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heresys ended up in your dorm right next to the KGs.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the HII's.

The Force is strong in this one......

If Fortes, Chorus, or Cornwalls come up for sale locally, be sure and check them out. Or even KLF-20s or 30s....they are also a three way design and give excellent bass.

Happy listening. [Y]