Yamaha PX-3 turntable help

juniper8

I just recently picked up a Yamaha PX-3 turntable off my local craigslist. I have been looking for a decent linear tracking table for some time, and when this one came up for 150 I thought I would give it a try. Cosmetically it is in near perfect shape, except for one scratch on the back of the unit near the power cord. The bad news is that, the needle is slightly bent, and the button to move the tone arm to the left doesnt work. To engage the tonearm you have to press the 17 button and the arm moves all the way to the left and then you can move the arm to the right and then engage. Is it possible to bend the needle back? or just replace the needle and is this all that difficult? Or should I buy a more modern cartridge and what would be a suitable replacement? It is fitted with a Yamaha MC 705. If a cartridge is neccesary? I would prefer to spend less than 300, for a new one, or a decent used one. Thanks, any help or general recommendations will be appreciated!!!!!!

No, you really can't bend the needle back. It needs to be replaced.

This one is hard to beat for the price....

51S866W2PVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is the amazon link -----> CLICK HERE

You may find it cheaper if you look around at Needle Doctor or B&H Photo etc. But $71 is a great price for this cart. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dennie

Thanks for the responses guys!!!! The Shure cartridge has some great acclaim and costs very little, but the replacement stylus might sound good as well. This is a hard decision..........Thanks again!!!! If anyone has anymore to add about dealing with this piece, it would be great!!!! Even with the needle bent, I can tell there is something there!

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a px-3 also!

I haven't even hooked it up yet...I hope everything works, it sure looks good!

Great for you Edroom, They do look great, and sound even better!!! I was blown away when I finally got it set up with a new cart. If you dont have a manual you can download it from the Yamaha web site. Set up was very easy, but the table has to be perfectly level, make sure the stylus is set at 50mm. Also from what I have read the feet on these units tend to breakdown with age. I found a nice DIY foot replacemant over at audiokarma and posted picks here of the process. Good Luck with set up and let us know your impressions!!!

I just picked up a px-3 also!

I haven't even hooked it up yet...I hope everything works, it sure looks good!

Great for you Edroom, They do look great, and sound even better!!! I was blown away when I finally got it set up with a new cart. If you dont have a manual you can download it from the Yamaha web site. Set up was very easy, but the table has to be perfectly level, make sure the stylus is set at 50mm. Also from what I have read the feet on these units tend to breakdown with age. I found a nice DIY foot replacemant over at audiokarma and posted picks here of the process. Good Luck with set up and let us know your impressions!!!

Did you tell us which "New Cart" you went with? ...... tappingfoot.gif

Dennie [;)]

Dennie I was going to use your recommendation for the Shure cart but found a reveiw that said it didnt match well with the yamaha px-3. I did a little research and found a list that place the ortofon 2m red as one of the 18 best deals in high end audio and can be upgraded with the 2m blue stylus. I asked the needle doctor about the 2m red and the person I spoke with agreed saying it sounded better than some much more expensive units. The positive reveiws I have read are right on, great open mids that sound very realistic, nice highs but not to bright at all and the bass is slamming, everything sounds tight and tidy, which really surprised me....it does suffer from some very slight innegrove distortion so hopefully the new stylus will fix that????

Dennie I was going to use your recommendation for the Shure cart but found a reveiw that said it didnt match well with the yamaha px-3. I did a little research and found a list that place the ortofon 2m red as one of the 18 best deals in high end audio and can be upgraded with the 2m blue stylus. I asked the needle doctor about the 2m red and the person I spoke with agreed saying it sounded better than some much more expensive units. The positive reveiws I have read are right on, great open mids that sound very realistic, nice highs but not to bright at all and the bass is slamming, everything sounds tight and tidy, which really surprised me....it does suffer from some very slight innegrove distortion so hopefully the new stylus will fix that????

Very Cool, thanks for letting us know what you went with. Yeah, the Shure isn't for every table and there are often "other" choices and my reason for questioning which "cart" you went with. I've also heard good things about the Ortofon 2m Red, but have never used one.

Thanks for the update and comments. Enjoy the Music..... [8] [8] [Y]

Dennie [<:o)]