Klipsch Heresy I:

Vega211R

Before my question, let me explain what I have. After hearing a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's at a friends house several years ago, I decided I wanted a pair. After watching ebay for 6 months or more I purchased some. I wanted something in good cosmetic shape and these were describe to be so and the pics looked good. Well you know how it usually goes. The description is off and the pics look better than what you get. Well, I couldn't have been more surprised. They came package each in two boxes, the interior box was the original box. Also with all original manuals and literature, warranty cards. But when I got the speakers unpacked my mouth really fell open. These speakers are like or could be NOS. New Old Stock. Not a scratch, or mark anywhere. Not even on the bottoms. All corners sharp.Consecutive serials number and Klipsch said they were make in 1977, walnut finish. I had to know how these speakers could look this good, being this old, so I emailed the seller asking the question. She said her husband bought them brand new, put them on speaker stands in the back of the room behind the couch where nobody really ever went. She said nobody ever touch the speakers except for her when dusting. They never moved until I bought them. Smoke free house. Her husband had just passed away and that's why she was selling them. By what she told me I feel pretty certain the backs have never been off. They do sound great. Now my question is I have been reading about upgrading the caps etc. etc. which I know nothing about. Does anyone think I should look into this or leave them alone? I have no problem with the way they sound now. They lack a little bass, but other than that, awesome. So what da yall think? Thanks

I would change them because they are old (very old) and even if they were to perform like new (which they won't because they are not) New caps today are vastly better sounding than the stock ones.

Something to consider is that if these are as nice as you say you could possibly make a good profit selling them on Ebay with quality high rez pictures. Put the money toward a used pair of Heresy3. there is no contest as to which speaker is superior in every way. If you consider that rout do not touch the crossovers at all as that will impact your bottom line on resale. The H3 is a truly fine speaker with all ti diaphragms better woofer better tweeter and a much better crossover. Better everything means a better deal for you and better sound for your ears. Think about it. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you for the reply and information. If I would consider selling them, you said to not touch the crossovers. As I said in the beginning, I really don't know about the mechanics of this or any speaker. Is the crossover the same as the caps which you said I should change in the first sentence? Again, thanks for the info..

I do have a pretty good sub. I kinda have a mixture of stuff. lol

Yamaha RX-V2600, Paradigm PS-1200 v4 Active Sub-Woofer, Klipsch RC-64 center, Klipsch Hersey I's for surrounds, Cerwin Vega 211-R's for fronts, Klipsch CDT-5800-C for rear surrounds and front presence speakers. Yea I know, I should have match more. But it is what it is. It sounds good. Thanks..

Ok so it sounds like you want to keep the H1's. If that is the case then remove the crossover boards and send them to Bob Crites and have him upgrade them for you. Bob will send them back to you and you can install them in the same way that you removed them but they should be changed if you want to keep them. If you decide to sell them then do not touch them leave them absolutely stock for the new owner to do whih as they choose. If you buy a used pair of H3 then everythng is brand new and you can forget about them fo the next 25 years or longer. Personally I think that you should at the very least listen to a pair of H3 so that you know what they sound like. I own a pair of Heresy and a pair of H3 and I can tell you that there is no contest between the two speakers. Used H3 have gone for between 6oo (very low) and 900 recently. A brand new in the box pair of H3 will cost you $1800.00. You might get some new B stock H3 for a little less ask Klipsch about that or check on Ebay. I hope that this is helpful. You need to understand that your speakers are in very good condition but they are not new, they are old speakers which are in excellent condition. The drivers are fine and all the parts short of the capacitors in the networks are fine and do not need to be replaces only the capacitors need to be replaced. Be aware also that if you have Bob rebuild your crossovers they will sound like new 1977 Heresy not like new H3 because they are not the same speaker they share similarities but they are worlds apart. I simply see this as an opportunity for you to get a better sounding set of Heresy3. If you are happy with what you have then get them recapped and enjoy them. Best regards Moray James.

Moray, ignorance is bliss. I have a pair of H1's that sound terrific. I have never heard H3's. Now I think I should have H3's. Thanks a lot! [;)]

Congrats on the speakers! What a find! As others have stated, new capacitors will brighten the sound of the speakers anywhere from a little to a lot. If you wish, you can simply order the crossover kit from Bob Crites and do it yourself. There are instructions on his website with plenty of pics.

On the other hand, if you are happy with the current sound, then you can simply enjoy them until your curiosity gets the best of you and then upgrade. As for lacking bass, that is a common complaint. Adding a sub is a big upgrade to these. A lot of sound in a relatively small package.

Mustang guy: go find a pair of H3 to listen to. In the mean time pull your K700 horms and remove the drivers cause you need to do a few things. Order fresh rubber gasket washers for them from Bob cause yours are old and hard now with age. If you have K700 horns get out your selection of small rat tail files and half round files and make sure the throat of your horm is actually round and smooth and fits perfectly to the adapter smout if you have mud magnets.

You can take a look at my thread titled "are your woofers squawking" over at audiokarma dot com in the Klipsch Korner. to see what I have been doing ith my H3. With these mods it is amazing how loud you can play the H3 and how much more convincing the bass is when you have got clean leading edge transients and much reduced smear of same. I still have the cabinet brace work to do then they will be done and it looks like they will find new homes some time after that as I have other more interesting projects in the works. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430992