whither (cough) cornesy erm herwall?

grindstone

Heya. Guy who sold me Cornies wants 'em back and I feel bad (good guy--and well these aren't leaving soon so now I have a Problem ;)

Got a line on some Heresy II guts (k53k, k76k, xo) but never heard any. Preponderance would seem to say bass is maybe not CW-like in those sooooo...

Is it worth the energy to cobble a CW-ey box w/ woof & then adding H2 xo, MR, & HF? Oh--low-watt life here and small space (using CW's as giant monitors, basically). Thanks!

If you get Heresy II parts but no cabinets, you need to build a Tangent 400 cabinet. It uses exactly the same parts as a Heresy II (including the crossover, labeled as HII on the inside), but is taller and ported. The bass is demonstrably better, as will give you a winner all the way around. You can get the outside dimensions looking them up here.

A friend of mine has a pair of the Tangents, and I can get you the port dimensions if you would like.

Bruce

Thanks very much for the replies, sounds like a great idea. I didn't know about T400's at all and have to read more.

I maybe messed-up by not very clearly saying I'd need to get woofers -- the H2 units are gone so that's what got me thinking more toward the larger units (well that and known CW bass in my house). Whatever the case, I'd have to buy woofers.

Would that change you opinions?

Thanks again.

The Cornwall 3 uses the horn of the 700hz that it shares with the Heresy 3 I believe. Bigger is better for bass, at least to my ears. If you have the money or can find a pair of K33's then build to the Cornwall dimensions and enjoy. I don't think extending the range of the Cornwall to 700 is a problem with the K33.

Great, thanks for that--appreciate the time and generosity. This place is pretty-much great (and I can't _believe_ how many people have it sooo bad ;)

Seems the experiment is mine to make.

Found CW plans, simmed the LF stuff a little, and got temporarily sidetracked to scope-out some La Scalas for sale hereabouts :)

I have been reading so many threads on this board that I'm bleery just trying to catch-up and make sure I asked the right questions. It's funny being a newb, but I am indeed a Klipsch newb. I can't really say why except to say I just haven't gotten here until now, what with one thing and another, but it's true. Meant to get some some year, but some decades passed-by and well it's funny (odd) to me that it didn't happen until now.

To be honest, I guess I believed a lot of things I'd read on the web where of course Everything is True . It's just funny laughing at the egg on my own face in a very tight circular joke. Like those amp-people that wouldn't even try <insert topology here> because the Knew it couldn't work and ergo wasn't worth trying. Guilty as charged for me and phenolic diaphragms in the last quarter of the 20th century onwards. I'm not raving about them, and I'm convinced that's the weaker part of the deal, but here I am...listening to jazz on them for hours and hours and shaking my head.

Well, I don't even have to know why, I just want to make something that does that :) I guess that's the underpinning of this entire inquiry. Didn't mean for it to be an ode to CW, just wanted to expand some for the assembled collective. And right now, I'd listen to orange peel diaphragms if they were part of this deal. Sure there are warts as there must be--but what there is works together complementarily in a way which I'd not experienced until now.

Didn't mean to ramble but it sure happened. I'll likely be back with more Q's, but for right now I'm trying to catch-up on xo's and dot the i's and all that. Seems the experiment is mine to make and there's a lot of work to do. I'd take any opinions about preferences for avail woofers, 9-ply vs. lumbercore, grille types, etc., ... , < everything else I'm too uninformed to even know to ask >

I'm humbled by all the knowledge and experience here. The enthusiasm and passion is contagious.

Keep on reading here, there are plenty of great topics by folks that have done it all. here is a good search that may help you get into trouble.

cornwall AND mods

http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=cornwall+AND+mods&o=Relevance

This topic has a lot of good info by those that have donee many of the mods that may help

Cornwall Mods Glossary

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/43238/404703.aspx#404703

Really hurt my face on that one. Good for you. They say the first step is knowing you have a problem. Lemme guess, the big box under the equipment is some kind of tapped horn to catch the low-bass?

For the record, the CW here have BEC tweeters and his B-upgrades so I've never actually heard the Real Thing but I quite like what's coming out of them. And sure, I have issues with each driver and MR clarity in general, but it still all mostly works somehow.

See, the funny thing was that this was going to be my first commercial/zero-diy speaker in maybe 30 or so; it seemed to be something already-solved and something to 'just use'. Innocent enough origin--kind of keep this sound around and yet make a way to get these CW back to their prev. owner. The project would have this family voicing by virtue of being, well, what it is. It would all be "set and forget" so I can get back to wanking with the 8 other projects in various stages of disrepair. Funny stuff.

Believe me when I say it surprises me a great deal to just want to ape something 'known good' just to learn about the voicing of it. From what I'm extrapolating, a pair of woofers maybe has me in the hunt at a gen-u-ine CornesyHerwall (I'd say clone, but ???). Well, that and a great quantity of expensive plywood ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I love this place. Continued madness to you (and to all of us).

Gary: are those Peavey CH1"s up there? I have a pair of those on the way in the post as I type. Claude will be sending me drivers any day now. You are right build it and you will come. I think that was in a baseball movie. Best regards Moray James.

PS: did ya use armorall on those horns?

In the photo are the Peavey MF1-x Mark III (aka CH-1) sitting a top of a Klipschorn that has been enclosed in a TSCM style enclosed backs

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/142576.aspx

The Birch bass bin is really a ported lasalla clone that I built that fires into the corner and I am using the side as an extension for the wall of the Klipschorn.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/137782.aspx

The cornwall bass bin clone was a two winter project that I did and built 4 of them because I had the Plywood and that seemed to be the best use for it when I wanted to make some sawdust.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/1519463.aspx

I have some other non audio projext going at the moment so I am done till next winter,,,

Oh yea, there is a Belle for the center too.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/159602.aspx